Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

I'm going to use the H&R coilovers, as those use a non adjustable bilstein shock, but are height adjustable (corner balancable).

I had quad adjustable, remote reservoir JRZs and Motons on our e36 race car and was never particularly impressed. Conversely, moving the Ohlins to be flat ride was an absurd improvement that blew my mind. So… going whole hog, and trying the shock setup to match.
    Nice. I'll be paying close attention, might end up going with something like that too from FCM. Will you be posting updates here or in a separate thread?

I'm sure you saw, but Shaikh of FCM made an account and wrote some interesting posts in the E9X subforum. I'm curious to hear more about his experience with JRZ/MCS/etc and why he wasn't impressed.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

Nice. I'll be paying close attention, might end up going with something like that too from FCM. Will you be posting updates here or in a separate thread?

I'm sure you saw, but Shaikh of FCM made an account and wrote some interesting posts in the E9X subforum. I'm curious to hear more about his experience with JRZ/MCS/etc and why he wasn't impressed.
      I'll be making a separate thread, but whenever I make separate threads about things I do to my car I also post them in my journal... so here, too.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Pictures just came in from last weekends NJMSP event...

Awesome!

Comment

I am wondering why you did not just re-valve the Ohlins dampers to match the required flat ride spring rate. Does FCM do more than just valve the dampers to match the springs?

Jesse
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
            I am wondering why you did not just re-valve the Ohlins dampers to match the required flat ride spring rate. Does FCM do more than just valve the dampers to match the springs?

Jesse
            Yeah, he does a bunch more-- they'll be pressurized and valved to my corner weights and spring rates, bump stop tuning,and I'm having him add his KBO (similar but I believe superior to Ohlin's DFV) and ripple reducer.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Wow. Definitely custom.

Are corner weights the real starting point for flat ride? I have fooled around with the spreadsheet, but I guess I need to see if FCM has posted a "how to use the spreadsheet" video.

Jesse
              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                Wow. Definitely custom.

Are corner weights the real starting point for flat ride? I have fooled around with the spreadsheet, but I guess I need to see if FCM has posted a "how to use the spreadsheet" video.

Jesse
                Corner weights are a good place to start, though probably not necessary if your car is close to stock. If you can get them, though, you'll be more accurate.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.11.18 PM-1.jpeg
Views:	473
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	52640

Turns out eibach makes a 6” long, 2.5” ID, 375 lb/in barrel spring, that they don’t offer except through GC... which will let me live my OCD to two decimal places.

(going with barrel springs up front because I want to have the spring perch above the tire, so I don't need as aggressive wheel offsets, but then need all the travel I can get (as that pretty much limits me to a 6-6.5" long spring).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Was the spring perch above your tire with your Ohlins setup?
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Downgraded the brakes to 996 calipers with ZCP/CSL/Z4M rotors (so I can FCP my track rotors and pads). Not going to sell the brembos till I do a track event on these, but on the street they feel pretty indistinguishable from the Brembos. Which makes sense, since they're rigidly mounted brembo calipers with the correct bias/volumes for the chassis, but I still had some fears:

Name:	IMG_4895.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	54926

The front sway bar mount points tore off, so the car's off getting fixed for that (I don't weld well enough to be happy with my work on my car):

Name:	IMG_4822.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	54925

And the H&R coilovers arrived, that I'll be sending off to Fat Cats Motorsports for reworking. I go back and forth between being super excited and feeling like I've gone off the deep end, spending $5000-6000 for a non adjustable Bilstein setup

Name:	IMG_4922.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	54927

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                        Was the spring perch above your tire with your Ohlins setup?
                        Note entirely:

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	54929

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Downgraded the brakes to 996 calipers with ZCP/CSL/Z4M rotors (so I can FCP my track rotors and pads). Not going to sell the brembos till I do a track event on these, but on the street they feel pretty indistinguishable from the Brembos. Which makes sense, since they're rigidly mounted brembo calipers with the correct bias/volumes for the chassis, but I still had some fears:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4895.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.1 KB ID:	54926
                          I'd like to hear your feedback on the 996/CSL brakes as I too want to FCP as much of my track consumables as possible! I'd really like to try out a set of 17x10 apex wheels on the 996 brakes to see if you can run continental take-off's or NT01's. I used to get 12-15 track days on NT01's on my E30 M3 which makes r-comps relatively affordable (compared to 3 days on RE71r's).

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

I'd like to hear your feedback on the 996/CSL brakes as I too want to FCP as much of my track consumables as possible! I'd really like to try out a set of 17x10 apex wheels on the 996 brakes to see if you can run continental take-off's or NT01's. I used to get 12-15 track days on NT01's on my E30 M3 which makes r-comps relatively affordable (compared to 3 days on RE71r's).
                            The 17x10 Apexs fit with space to spare over these. I kind of want to try the 17 x 9.5 et35s, as I don't actually like the et25 setup.

17x10 et25 brake clearance:

Name:	IMG_4899.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	54946

Name:	IMG_4900.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	54947

Name:	IMG_4901.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	54948

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I'm kind of excited for the extra clearance, as I was having to clean out track goobers getting stuck between my caliper and wheel between sessions:

Name:	IMG_4735.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	54950

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

And the H&R coilovers arrived, that I'll be sending off to Fat Cats Motorsports for reworking. I go back and forth between being super excited and feeling like I've gone off the deep end, spending $5000-6000 for a non adjustable Bilstein setup

Name:	IMG_4922.jpg
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	54927
                                I finally made the decision to join you and jump from the TCK SA setup I have to the FCM stage 3. Been talking with Shaikh for the past couple of weeks about my setup. I went with flat ride spring but the dampers just could manage the increased spring rates so here I am.

Where did you end up sourcing the H&R set? I’m trying to find best pricing right now, so I can order and have them drop shipped to FCM. Were lead times bad?
                                2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Working...
                                X