Stephen's Steel Grey on Imola - Slow but Steady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbean View Post
    Nice Build . . . We are neighbors We should start our own car club hang out!!!
    Sounds good to me! What part of socal are you in?

Comment

Compiling all the components for the MSS54hp conversion. I'm doing as complete of a conversion as possible- swapping every component known to be different between the MSS54 and the MSS54HP CSL DMEs. I'll post the full list of components later.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8726.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	47686

Removing the small resistors on the back. Note: they are incredibly small.

Name:	IMG_8727.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	47687 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8729.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	47688

Swapping the onboard pressure sensor

Name:	IMG_8751.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	47689 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8753.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	47690

New EEPROMs soldered in.

Name:	IMG_8755.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	47691

Went to bdm into the EEPROMs and they are not reading. This is what I get for ordering EEPROMs from a Chinese seller on ebay. I think they are fake/clones of AMD chips, they do not have the dimple for pin 1. I'll post a closeup picture later.

Comment

Finally received some legitimate EEPROMs and installed them and loaded up some full CSL binaries.

Got my Karbonius box out of storage and getting ready to install. Just need the CSL SMG reservoir and bracket and I'm ready to go.

Name:	IMG_8780.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	53278 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8784.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	53279

Name:	IMG_8781.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	53277 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8783.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	53276

Comment

great build so far. Maintenance before mods, now the fun part!

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
          2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

"Sounds good to me! What part of socal are you in?"

Irvine . . . Market Place Area

Comment

Awesome build thread, man! You did it all the right way and the car will thank you for it! She's looking great. Can't wait to see what else is in store. Keep up the good work!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
              2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
              My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Great thread! Thanks for documenting and sharing!

"Sounds good to me! What part of socal are you in?"

Irvine . . . Market Place Area
                Good to see we have some Irvine people here. I'm in University Park (Culver and Michelson) area.

Comment

"University Park (Culver and Michelson) area." Thats where I grew up . . . graduate UNI.

Comment

Thanks gents! I would love to meet up sometime soon, but the wife has banned me from making new friends during the pandemic 😷. Perhaps once this is all over, we can do a meet and cruise!

Finally got around to programming my new key as I've only had one copy for the past 9 years and the battery has finally died. I ordered one from fasterautokeys.com and set about programming it via the AK90 programmer I got on amazon.

Here are the two keys side by side.

Name:	IMG_8883.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	57082

Here is the ews module. Pulling it out from the dash was kind of a PITA but not too bad.

Name:	IMG_8896.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	57080 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8897.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	57081

Put the key in the programmer and went to town just following some youtube videos. I successfully programmed the key with AK90 pretty easily and went to test it with the EWS module in the car and it worked on the first try. I then programmed it to the GM5 module for the locks and all was done! Out with the old and in with the new! (Except I'm keeping the old one as a spare)

Name:	IMG_8904.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	57083
                    Attached Files

Comment

"University Park (Culver and Michelson) area." Thats where I grew up . . . graduate UNI.
                      Same.

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                      Thanks gents! I would love to meet up sometime soon, but the wife has banned me from making new friends during the pandemic 😷. Perhaps once this is all over, we can do a meet and cruise!

Here are the two keys side by side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8883.JPG Views:	23 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	57082

That new key looks so fresh and clean. How accurate is the cut of the key, any problems with door or trunk? I might have to get a new key just for that new feeling.

I'm definitely up for a meet and cruise when things clear up!

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post

Same.

That new key looks so fresh and clean. How accurate is the cut of the key, any problems with door or trunk? I might have to get a new key just for that new feeling.

I'm definitely up for a meet and cruise when things clear up!
                        The new key works great! It’s a little sticky going in, but it works just fine and seems to get better the more and more I use it. The only hard part is getting the EWS out to program the EWS and key. I could help with that since I have all the tools. I think all in it was about a $100 job. $30 for the key, $50 for the programmer and $10 for the little roundel emblem. A lot cheaper than going through the dealer and now I have the programmer too!

Comment

That's fantastic! I wonder if a tiny dab of silicon grease would help. I recall some of the new keys had a light coating of grease / lube on the ridges (?) to help.

Comment

Finally got around to coding out the LED tails! Trying to get familiar with INPA and other BMW coding tools so I can handle the mss54hp DME swap to go along with my airbox install which I will be attempting in the next month or so.

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	102518

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	102519

Comment

Also I FINALLY replaced a side grill emblem that had been missing since 2012!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8998.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	102523 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8999.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	102521
                              Well-deserved wash!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8994.jpg Views:	0 Size:	215.0 KB ID:	102522

Comment

Looks great with silver ARC8s and red brembos!
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X