• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JudahJD904 View Post
    Very Dope build man! Pure motivation.
    👍👍

Comment

I attempted to clear bra the front bumper and that was a complete fail... Just couldn't get it to cleanly stretch and stick and eventually gave up and just coated everything. Calling the exterior done for now!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50780476191_e53625b326_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	76429

Click image for larger version  Name:	50779709238_4fb16f1107_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.9 KB ID:	76430

Comment

Then I moved on to the trunk to get the backup camera installed as well as the remaining trim. I had previously run all of the wiring so now just had to hook it all up. Took a lot of trial and error to get this to work properly. There is no instructions and Avin just references a bunch of DIY threads that aren't very clear. Ultimately this is the wiring that worked for me:
        1. License plate light wiring:
          1. Connect Blue/Yellow and Ground to black LED license plate light ground
          2. Connect Blue/Brown to red LED back up to wire
        2. Camera Wiring:
          1. Connect both the red positive from camera power, and the red wire from the RCA (camera activation trigger) to the positive backup light.
          2. Connect the black ground from the camera power line to the brown wire of the backup light.
          3. At the head unit, connect the red RCA activation wire to the green harness bundle wire marked backup.
        All installed! I added some strips of black vinyl to cover up some openings in the camera housing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	50779709148_a4f0dff838_b.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	76432

Name:	50779709173_2fe8304800_b.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	76433

Head unit view in reverse:

Name:	50780582292_58cec1b990_b.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	76434

With the camera installed all new trim installed in the trunk including tool set. Found a couple places I need to touch up red paint to wrap around the visible edge.

Name:	50787004331_45bf1b7b24_b.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	76436

Name:	50787004321_386d7505a2_b.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	76437

Name:	50786243288_1fa2d1bff9_b.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	76438

Also cleaned up the visors and removed the airbag labels:

Name:	50764345676_d27be09f22_b.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	76435

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

Also cleaned up the visors and removed the airbag labels:

Name:	50764345676_d27be09f22_b.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	76435
          That looks great! How did you remove/clean where the stickers were?
          Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Originally posted by Onefastsicilian View Post

That looks great! How did you remove/clean where the stickers were?
            It was surprisingly easy. I sprayed it with some griots interior cleaner and then rubbed it with a microfiber towel and it came right off.

Comment

I attempted to clear bra the front bumper and that was a complete fail... Just couldn't get it to cleanly stretch and stick and eventually gave up and just coated everything. Calling the exterior done for now!

Click image for larger version Name:	50780476191_e53625b326_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.0 KB ID:	76429

Click image for larger version Name:	50779709238_4fb16f1107_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.9 KB ID:	76430

The car looks amazing!
              What’s the trick to align the front bumper?
              Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Would really love some E9X gloss black competition wheels on this car (admitted non-Volk guy). Fantastic build all the way around!

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                  The car looks amazing! What’s the trick to align the front bumper?
                  New bumper and mounts 😆, Actually one thing to check is how the mouth opening is mating with the bumper carrier. On both my street and track cars I had a hard time getting the bumper to slide on fully and both times it was the top of the mouth interfering with the carrier. There are some tabs that want to slide above but need to be below if that makes sense...

Originally posted by freshprince2421 View Post
                  Would really love some E9X gloss black competition wheels on this car (admitted non-Volk guy). Fantastic build all the way around!
                  For sure! I've considered them but I'm not a huge fan of black wheels. Those wheels in a dark silver would be awesome.

Comment

New bumper and mounts 😆, Actually one thing to check is how the mouth opening is mating with the bumper carrier. On both my street and track cars I had a hard time getting the bumper to slide on fully and both times it was the top of the mouth interfering with the carrier. There are some tabs that want to slide above but need to be below if that makes sense...

For sure! I've considered them but I'm not a huge fan of black wheels. Those wheels in a dark silver would be awesome.
                    Nice. I’m about to go through the same exercise.

what are the part numbers for mounts?

Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

Nice. I’m about to go through the same exercise.

what are the part numbers for mounts?
                      51118195295 and 51118195296. Also some aftermarket ones a reference in the thread above.

Comment

Was waiting for a couple parts to finish up the dash and center console. First I replaced the center vents, old one was cracked and had clearly been taken in/out a few too many times:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815460757_971f3de172_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.6 KB ID:	78045

Next I decided to replace the HVAC controls as the LED had some bleed at the bottom:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50814610528_0fb8962de7_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.8 KB ID:	78046

I picked up a cheap replacement on eBay but the finish was worse than whats in the car. So I pulled the LED panel out of the eBay unit and used the existing face plate. Worked great and now the center dash is complete!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815355481_462df13011_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.6 KB ID:	78047

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815355471_69eb9a6da2_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.4 KB ID:	78048

Next was getting the Colby Wheel shift and ebrake boots installed. Replaced the entire ebrake so I had a new leather handle. Also used the custom gaiter ring that i got from Billy Bogdziewicz on the old M3Forum and love them!! Not sure if he is still around:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815460832_70ab1184a5_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	78049

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815460752_904603cb55_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	78050

One more SMG improvement, I flashed in the CSL SMG "255" settings using the instructions from ECUWorx (thx @Martyn).

Click image for larger version  Name:	50815355476_9666a4ed1c_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	78051
                        Last edited by robgill; 01-09-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Nice shift knob! I'm still here, beautiful build Rob.
                          2005 ZCP SMG ///M3

Comment

Originally posted by Will ZCPM3 View Post
                            Nice shift knob! I'm still here, beautiful build Rob.
                            Perfect I was hoping you would chime in. Love the shifter and glad to have it finally installed 👍

Comment

Fun couple of weeks! Pretty mild winter here in NYC so been driving the car a lot. I'm really liking the SMG with the CSL tune. The engine is also running (and sounding) great. So well in fact that I've decided to stick with the Evolve Alpha-N tune that had been previously installed on the car. I got ahold of them and they made some adjustments for larger cams and airbox. I flashed that in and all has been good. I'll still take it over to RK-Tunes at some point to get it on the dyno and see what kind of power its making.

One thing that has been bugging me is that the alignment is clearly off. The wheel is not centered and it was a little squirmy under acceleration. I headed over to Ivans Alignments in Jersey to get it sorted out. I went with pretty standard street specs with 2.5 camber up front and 2 in the back along with pretty neutral toe. Took it for a test drive and immediately the wheel was off again... On closer inspection we determined the RTABs were shot and not holding the alignment. The original plan was always to do a full rear subframe rebuild but I was hoping to push that off for a couple of years. The subframe had been reinforced by previous owner so I assumed bushings had also been replace. Clearly not . So... back to the garage to replace the RTABs and install new adjustable lower camber arms. I'll save full rebuild for a later date. RTABs coming out pretty easy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50853041618_7a5ba53fbb_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.1 KB ID:	81372

Camber arms not so much... What a nightmare. The outer bolts were completely seized in the ball joints and no amount of penetrating fluid, heat and BFH would budge them. So had to cut off the old camber arms and bolt heads. Then make a run to Harbor Freight to pickup a clamp style ball joint pusher. Of course the this tool interfered with the brake rotors and shields , so had to take those off and finally was able to get ball joints out:

Click image for larger version  Name:	50853856087_c4fccbef8d_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.9 KB ID:	81373

Next I had to pull the new Turner RTABs and OE ball joins out of the trailing arms I previously built and get them installed on the car. All of that went pretty smooth.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50853856137_26d858ae66_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	81374

Back to Ivans and now the alignment is perfect!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	50853856057_09aa2cd720_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.7 KB ID:	81375
                              Last edited by robgill; 01-26-2021, 08:05 AM.

Comment

What? Someone is happy with their Evolve alpha N tune? Blasphemy!
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X