No announcement yet.

M3Logik's E46 M3 Track Car Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love track car builds! Awesome! I dig the toolboxes, looks really nice.
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

AC System has been removed:

Saved a good amount of weight from removing the AC lines, AC pump, and probably reclaimed 2 HP from the drive belt being removed. Every little bit helps. Hopefully I don't burn up in the pits during the summer trackday events. It's a chance I'm willing to take haha.

Cooling system revamp which including:

OEM Water pump w/Gasket
      OEM Thermostat w/ Gasket (stock)
      OEM Radiator
      Continental Water pump belt (Performed 50 miles ago at Lang Racing)
      OEM Aux Fan Switch
      OEM Expansion Tank
      OEM Expansion Tank Line
      OEM O-Rings

I didn't go with an aftermarket radiator because I've been good with the stock OEM radiator and water wetter with my previous builds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210123_155828.jpg Views:	424 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	84744

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210123_183215.jpg Views:	385 Size:	178.9 KB ID:	84746

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210123_201519.jpg Views:	378 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	84747

Mechanical Fan Swap:

Removed the stock clutch fan and shroud. Installed the Mishimoto mechanical puller fan.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210123_160717.jpg Views:	382 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	84745

Getting the front bumper off was a real pain in the ass. Could not get the bumper to budge after removing inner fender screws and the underbody screws! After about 20 minutes of pulling from various angles, I decided to start pulling off headlights, turn signals, etc. Finally found the problem. The dealership added some screws below the turn signals which affixed the front bumper to the fenders. A heads up would have been nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210117_192003.jpg Views:	383 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	84748

Other than that, the cooling system overhaul was a pretty straightforward endeavor. I'm certain this preventative maintenance saved me from having a 3 hour tow truck drive home from the track.

Tires and wheels update:

Went with Apex ARC-8R 18x9.5 35ET wrapped in Bridgestone RE 71 R rubber. This combo has served me well in the past, so why change a good thing? I'll probably graduate to pull off slicks sometime next year, but the current setup will keep me glued to the track for my first couple of trackdays in the second half of this year. Shout out to Big O Tires for not scratching my rims!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210212_203822.jpg Views:	387 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	84749

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210212_203834.jpg Views:	394 Size:	120.2 KB ID:	84750

Cage Update:

I have my cage build slot reserved for early April. Ordering the carbon roof today, as the cage installer will glue it on. I'll need to deliver the vehicle stripped, and without glass and a roof (trying to keep costs down). Will replace the stock windshield but will go with a polycarbonate rear window.

Rough plans for cage include shock tower tie in, full cage, x bars at doors, foot/ankle protection, subframe tie in, harness eyelets, cabin bar (removing hvac), & a few other goodies.

Harness Update:

Going with 6pt Sparco Aluminum Hans compatible 3/2 (black) Will order them next week so I can have the gage builder install them with the cage.
      Last edited by M3logik; 09-23-2021, 06:48 AM.
      Instagram: M3Journal

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
        I love track car builds! Awesome! I dig the toolboxes, looks really nice.
        Thanks man! I'm impressed with the quality and would definitely buy again. Got another garage update coming next month, stay tuned!

Comment

Ended up going with a Seibon carbon fiber hood as it is the same hood that I had on my last project. Fitment is good. Will end up wrapping the entire car in matte grey, but I'll keep the carbon bare for now. Box showed up with a hole the size of a basketball, but luckily the hood was undamaged. Will install aero catch hood pins and will ditch the stock pull cable / lever setup.

I almost died of laughter when the delivery guy said, "oh don't worry about it. I'm sure it is fine." I unwrapped the whole damn thing prior to accepting delivery. These freight companies will hustle you, if you don't make the right moves.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210221_185056 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	86450

Bimmerworld Oil Cooler also came in. Seems like a quality unit! Feels substantial, like it could take a bit of damage. Have not decided whether to get steel braided lines or not. Leaning towards keeping the stock lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_170319.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	86680

I do need to find some more inventive ways of removing weight off of the front end (This higher capacity oil cooler does not help). I want this car to be as well balanced as possible.

Next up is the cage, a full-rise scissor lift, and a garage revamp. I need some more shelves to hold spare parts and other random items, and a lift to do some easy maintenance for this project and future projects. Things are coming together nicely, I'm targeting June for the first trackday. Let's get it!
          Last edited by M3logik; 02-22-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post
            Ended up going with a Seibon carbon fiber hood as it is the same hood that I had on my last project. Fitment is good. Will end up wrapping the entire car in matte grey, but I'll keep the carbon bare for now. Box showed up with a hole the size of a basketball, but luckily the hood was undamaged. Will install aero catch hood pins and will ditch the stock pull cable / lever setup.

I finally weighed my Seibon hood. A portly 28 pounds with a few repairs.

Feff

MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

I finally weighed my Seibon hood. A portly 28 pounds with a few repairs.

Feff
              Yeah, it's not as light as I thought it would be! If I recall correctly, the Seibon hood that I bought before was lighter than the current one. May consider cutting the plastic underpanel to save a few pounds. I have a few ideas that I'll share with the form once my garage is fully built out.

Comment

Latest updates:

Garage progress is underway. I've settled on a (Black) Nussbaum HF 7 scissor lift and am currently in the process of forming the pit so the lift can be a flush mount install. Need to work out the electric and have a lift installer come in and actually install the lift later this month (after the concrete hardens).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_170928.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	103063

Cage is finished. Ended up going with TCDesign out of Campbell, CA. This is the first time I've had a cage done by a professional cage builder...makes me feel like I am actually building a racecar! Will share the specs along with the pics this weekend.

Parts and other items that have arrived and are pending an install:

Full SS race exhaust (Sec. 1/2/3) V1 Headers
                AP Racing Radical F+R brakes
                Karbonius CSL Airbox w/ snorkel
                Karbonius Carbon Doors
                Status Gruppe csl bumper
                Status Gruppe 1pc splitter 2x2
                Turner Motorsport Sway Bars F+R
                Sparco passenger seat and mount
                Nussbaum HF 7 scissor lift w/flush mount kit and extended hydraulic lines
                New OEM injectors
                Fuel filter

After the lift is in, I'll dedicate a few days to "just getting it done". I'm sure I'll find a few extra things to take care of while I'm in there.

Pending order:

Lang racing carbon roof
                OEM front glass
                Condor or equiv plexiglass
                Vanos rebuild items
                Rod bearing refresh items
                Black epoxy floor coating

Comment

This is a rad build (and garage build) already! Can't wait to see how it progresses. What part of OC you in?

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                    This is a rad build (and garage build) already! Can't wait to see how it progresses. What part of OC you in?
                    Hit you with a PM.

Thanks! It is finally gaining some traction. The next two months will have a ton of updates. Right now I'm waiting for the concrete to cure, then the lift goes in..then all the parts pending install will be dropped in. And I got to find time to wrap it as well... this is quite the project!

Comment

So, the pit is finished! I've got to wait until June to drill in the anchors and install the lift but it is looking good so far. My contractor hit this one out of the park!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210510_094339.jpg Views:	31 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	104080

Electric was also run a few days after the concrete was poured.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_094026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	105155

After the lift is in, I'll do a black epoxy with carbon flake over the entire garage floor and lift pad.

Pics of the cage.

Notes - Removed heater core, subframe tie in, shock tower tie in, repaired cracked shock towers, relocated ECU, welded in 6pt harness eyelets, integrated cage to rear shock towers, safety nets...and probably some other stuff I forgot about.

Really happy with the work that Tony and his crew at TCDesign Fab performed. IG:@TCDesignFab

No surprises, came in within the budget/quote, completed within expected/promised timeline, and did a bang up job on the cage. Highly recommend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_081246.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	105142
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082228.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	105143
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_081222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	105144
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_084951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	105145

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082234.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	105146

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082325.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	105147

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082310.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.2 KB ID:	105148

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082127.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.7 KB ID:	105149

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082143.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	105150

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_082246.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.8 KB ID:	105151

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_084735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	105154

Added a random BMW Motorsport banner. Need to find more stuff like this to put on the walls.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_085017.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	105152

Added a "Wall Control" setup to organize tools and make them a bit more accessible. Garage is coming together!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210516_085008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	105153
                      Last edited by M3logik; 05-16-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Didn’t opt into Tony’s a pillar gussets?

My e46 is with him getting a crap ton of upgrades installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                        2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                          Didn’t opt into Tony’s a pillar gussets?

My e46 is with him getting a crap ton of upgrades installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          No, I did not! The gussets are more labor $$ and also reduce visibility (a tiny bit?). I'm glad I didn't go with the a-pillar gussets. With the "regular" option, he goes right up to the a pillar and welds the bar directly to the a-pillar. I also prefer the more minimal aesthetic of the regular bars welded to the a-pillar.

Your e46 is in good hands! I'll take my next track car to Tony as well. Just need to finish this one first...

Comment

Originally posted by M3logik View Post

No, I did not! The gussets are more labor $$ and also reduce visibility (a tiny bit?). I'm glad I didn't go with the a-pillar gussets. With the "regular" option, he goes right up to the a pillar and welds the bar directly to the a-pillar. I also prefer the more minimal aesthetic of the regular bars welded to the a-pillar.

Your e46 is in good hands! I'll take my next track car to Tony as well. Just need to finish this one first...
                            In Tony I Trust. I've been a longtime customer of Tony for over a decade now, so it's always great to see him get credit on the forums.

He worked on my old e46 m3 and I recently bought another one to fully turn into a race car, so I'm getting the full beans. Adding onto his half cage to upgrade to a full cage, fancy gussets, custom dash, custom fenders. The whole lot. I wish I still lived back in the Bay Area so he would be more accessible instead of shipping the car to/from Dallas for work. I hope this is the last trip back since there's practically nothing left after this wave.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Nice updates! The pit and cage looks great! You keeping the M street legal?

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

In Tony I Trust. I've been a longtime customer of Tony for over a decade now, so it's always great to see him get credit on the forums.

He worked on my old e46 m3 and I recently bought another one to fully turn into a race car, so I'm getting the full beans. Adding onto his half cage to upgrade to a full cage, fancy gussets, custom dash, custom fenders. The whole lot. I wish I still lived back in the Bay Area so he would be more accessible instead of shipping the car to/from Dallas for work. I hope this is the last trip back since there's practically nothing left after this wave.
                                Agreed, his craftmanship is impressive! Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Yeah it is pretty far for me as well, but no where near as far for you!

Comment

Working...
                                X