No announcement yet.

2002 Steel Grey 6spd coupe Daily/Restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Black is such a nice color in the sun, looks like multiple different colors based on the angle you look it from. Spacers do make a great difference, recently I installed 20mm front and 15mm rear and they completely changed the stance of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      1. The x pipes' (SS/SGT/RE) shape/routing will kill rasp. It also changes the sound, mostly in a good way. Used to be referred to as a "tuner" sound. One of the greatest WOT videos for this car is long tube headers (SS, in this case), stock sect 1 (small diameter retains loud pitch), SS X pipe (can't remember res or not) then SS race exhaust. Absolutely brutal. Too much for daily though. The H pipe in stock sect 2 seems to create the rasp or at least make it stronger.

2. The way sect 2 mates up with sect 1 means that you can run any brand/size you want. Def don't need 2.5" sect 2 in order to use 2.5" sect 1. The biggest gains in going from 2" diameter to 2.5" happens at the headers, then sect 1, then 2, then 3. Much more important to get a 2.5" sect 1 than sect 2.
      That’s a wealth of info!

Comment

Originally posted by PipeUy View Post
        Carbon Black is such a nice color in the sun, looks like multiple different colors based on the angle you look it from. Spacers do make a great difference, recently I installed 20mm front and 15mm rear and they completely changed the stance of the car.
        Agreed!

Carbon Black almost looks black in the shade and dark blue in the sun.

That’s the midnight blue effect !

After a polish, it can even appear purple, which looks even more amazing !

Comment

Nice find on the Fabspeed headers and sec 1. I've been running those headers since the black friday sale a long time ago. Now you have me thinking about swapping my euro sec 1 just to go to 2.5" . Great journal BTW
          2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Anthracite Impuse
          Fabspeed Headers | Euro Sec 1 | OE Sec 2 | Scorpion Sec 3 | Beisan | Mini Battery | Fortune Auto 7k/12k | Hotchkis Front SB | Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 | Yellow Tag Rack

2001 TiAG M3 - 6mt Coupe, Black Nappa Leather
          Karbonius | Supersprint | Cat Cams | Beisan | Fikse Wheels | Mile End Composites | AST 5200 | Hotchkis | Brembo | Recaro | Rouge SMF | RTD | Yellow Tag Rack | HTE Performance

Comment

As we are on the topic of header and exhaust, is SS the only company that make a 2.5” header ?

Comment

Originally posted by DJAM3 View Post
              Nice find on the Fabspeed headers and sec 1. I've been running those headers since the black friday sale a long time ago. Now you have me thinking about swapping my euro sec 1 just to go to 2.5" . Great journal BTW
              Fabspeeds are amazing. The car just keeps pulling. I think the 2.5" sect 1 is playing a role here too. Euro cats are a great piece though. Stock fit/finish with quality cats. They also improve torque, in my experience, vs straight pipe.

Originally posted by loudspeaker69 View Post
              As we are on the topic of header and exhaust, is SS the only company that make a 2.5” header ?
              I think bimmerworld has their own set? Otherwise, it's pretty much just ssv1s ya.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Loving this refresh saving another m3 from the world! I also picked up a second m3 (2002 coupe) that was dirty and cheap to do the same. Car was severely neglected but lower miles, no leaks or accident. In some ways its more fun/ satisfying to restore than add performance or looks.

Comment

Originally posted by akshon View Post
                  Loving this refresh saving another m3 from the world! I also picked up a second m3 (2002 coupe) that was dirty and cheap to do the same. Car was severely neglected but lower miles, no leaks or accident. In some ways its more fun/ satisfying to restore than add performance or looks.
                  Nice! Ya, it's a lot of fun. It's also easier to drive than my nicer car. No anxiety about someone damaging it or whatever. I am also really appreciating a stock car again.

Comment

Wetsanding

So, as mentioned, the front & rear bumpers have been resprayed plus the passenger door (incl molding) & QP (not the molding) have been resprayed. The color match (door/qp/rear bumper) is incredibly good. Front bumper is a little more off, perhaps done at a different time/place. I've developed an eye for paint in the last couple of years, and I can barely tell the difference. However, it literally looked unfinished as in no color sanding or buffing. I have never seen such an unfinished paint job. Rough to the touch!

I took it to a local body shop my friend uses (knows the owner) and paid $150 for them to wetsand and buff it (I should have known better that $150 wasn't gonna go far). Well, they probably used a denim pad or some other pad on a rotary that makes quick work of orange peel because the job they did was sloppy and only on large/flat surfaces. They took too much orange peel out in the upper sections (compared to factory), but then didn't take enough out of the mid sections of the door/qp, and then the bottom portions look untouched. And tight and curved spots were untouched. So I basically wasted $150, but it did motivate me to learn how to wetsand myself.

I have some decent experience with paint correction and painting (rattle can). But I've never wetsanded before. I spent 2 minutes "researching" and learned enough to start with - soak your paper in soapy water (or a clay lube, something slippery), use something like 2k, 2500 grit paper & move in even strokes.

I decided to start on a less important part of the car, the resprayed door molding. The goal was to see if I could match factory orange peel, and then bring the paint back to life with rubbing compound. Of course that's how it's done, but I had never done it before. If successful, I'd make my way from front door to driver side rear bumper. I actually didn't know how massive of a project this was going to be.

I think it took about 3 weeks from start to finish! That's only like an hour or 2 of work a day, but still. That's also not including the front bumper or top pillar of QP where it goes over windows, which I'll do later.

I think I have like 200 pictures from this job as I was uploading them to my Instagram stories everyday. You can see all of them in my Instagram highlights ("SG Redux"). But I'm only going to post a fraction of them here, just the ones that tell the story the best, with some captions or explanations.

I used 2k grit for most of it, finishing with 2500, but did have to use 1500 in the worst areas. After some sanding, the paper gets dull; effectively a higher grit. You sort of learn how hard to push as the grit gets weaker, and when to move to a new piece of paper. I would have a couple of pieces soaking at a time, labeled "2k" or 2.5k," in sharpie, to help me remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wetsand002.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	128473

Here's a good pic to show you how unfinished the respray was (molding is factory). Literally pebbled texture. I don't think saying "unfinished" is an exaggeration. It's like, "oh shit, the owner's here, send the car out" "but it's not ready jefe!"

LoOkS GoOd tO Me

Name:	wetsand001.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	128472

Ok, let's go. Test spot on door molding where it meets fender.

Name:	wetsand003.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	128474 Click image for larger version

Name:	wetsand004.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	128471

Now let's bring it back (I ended up moving down to the Griot's fast correcting cream [1000 grit], because the medium correcting cream only goes down to like 2-2500 grit, and there were still some fine sanding marks left.

Name:	wetsand005.JPG
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	128478 Click image for larger version

Name:	wetsand006.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	128477

Hey alright, this might work! I didn't try to perfect the paint clarity here - just wanted to make sure I was doing a good job of sanding plus I learned that I needed a stronger polish, true compound (1k-1200 grit). I also learned that 2k was probably a little too rough for the molding. I think I took out a little too much orange peel, here. Some sections only needed 2.5k, maybe even 3k with enough effort/time. It was a challenge to match everything given that some sections were fine, some were a little too textured, and many sections were horribly textured.

So I was confident and satisfied enough to keep going. I was very confident in my paint correction abilities, the challenge was going to be the actual wetsanding. I also felt like, "fuck it," it's a respray anyway. I wouldn't try wetsanding for the first time on factory paint (trying to remove defects). I could literally have removed most of the clear coat and all of the orange peel and it'd STILL look better than the Van Gogh textured paint the shop left the car with.

Ok, so now the door itself. I taped off the fender where they meet, just to be careful.

Name:	wetsand007.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	128475

So the upper portion is the part where they seemed to have done a good job of matching factory orange peel. the part closest to the fender had too much texture, but after that, it was mostly perfect, with some areas having too little orange peel. I only used 2.5k up top here, but then when back down to 2k for the main sections of the door. I was moving so slowly, that I had to go down to 1,500 grit for the worst sections right above and below the molding.

Name:	wetsand008.JPG
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	128476

Name:	wetsand009.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	128479

Name:	wetsand010.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	128482

Name:	wetsand011.JPG
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	128481 Click image for larger version

Name:	wetsand012.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	128480

This is taking forever. What have I done? Oh well, onwards.

If you get close to the paint to create a very sharp, acute angle of view, even without buffing, you can see enough reflectivity to see if you're having the desired effect, the right amount of orange peel. To put it into words, I found that leaving just the faintest "dots" aka the valleys (peaks and valleys of the texture) was the right amount of orange peel (not even enough to feel with your finger). You don't want to sand it completely flat - it'll turn into a mirror-like reflection. Maybe you'd do that on an old classic show car or something, but it'd have to be the whole car, not just sections.

Name:	wetsand013.JPG
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	128484

Name:	wetsand014.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	128483

My fingers got so fatigued, that I started to move in vertical directions to do some of the heavier sanding, but I made sure to finish in tighter, horizontal movements. I don't get paid enough for this shit. I think you're supposed to use a block. I also could have used a machine and disc on these flat spots. Oh well. I usually do things the hard way.

The sections immediately above and below the molding were the most textured. I had to use 1,500 grit to make fast enough progress.

Name:	wetsand015.JPG
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	128486

Whew, done with the upper section of the door. It looks a little uneven due to residue (paint dust). I didn't clean well as I made progress. This was taking so long, I knew I was going to have to wash the car before cutting and polishing the paint.

Name:	wetsand016.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	128485

Anyone want "frozen grey" paint? I can do it

Name:	wetsand017.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	128487

Will do the bottom section of door before moving to QP. Rocker panel (side skirt) is factory and doesn't need anything luckily.

Name:	wetsand018.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	128488

More to come...

Comment

I am stoked to see the results... I hate the orange peel on my steel grey. Props to you for taking this on.

Comment

Impressive paint restoration. Nice build thread btw.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                          I am stoked to see the results... I hate the orange peel on my steel grey. Props to you for taking this on.
                          The orange peel on factory paint or a resprayed panel? Thanks!

Originally posted by MathewM3 View Post
                          Impressive paint restoration. Nice build thread btw.
                          Thank you!

Comment

Wetsanding cont...

The upper portion of the door, except around handle, & QP didn't need much work, most of it actually had slightly less orange peel than factory (or perhaps same amount, but not as tight of a "knit" or "weave" so doesn't quite match factory exactly). However, the very top of the door and qp, the flat portion where the trim is, wasn't ever sanded post respray:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand019.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	128959

Of course, I just recently replaced all the trims Should have waited.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand020.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	128962

Started working the main section of the QP. It's the roughest here. My fingers were screaming.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand021.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	128961

The portion under the molding is also horrible

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand022.JPG Views:	0 Size:	66.5 KB ID:	128960

Be careful of the ends of panels - it's very easy to burn though high spots. I took it easy at the edges like where door meets qp. Once done, if there's slightly more orange peel there, oh well, better than burning through. You could also use a higher grit in places like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand023.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	128963
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand024.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	128965
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand025.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	128964
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand026.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	128966

My strokes were getting messier and messier. In the end, it didn't matter since I had so much clear to spare (respray, not factory paint). If you're wetsanding on factory paint, like to try and take out a RIDS or something, I suppose it'd be more important to have even, uni-directional strokes, with the finest grit possible so that you don't have to cut much to remove the sanding marks)

Now moving down the bottom of QP, and will work my way back along the bottom to the front fender. I decided to stop at the rear wheel hump for this round. I already bit off a lot; I didn't want to do the whole QP yet before buffing to make sure I'm doing a good enough job. I will still do the end of the QP and the rear bumper later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand027.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	128968

The residue looks like a lot because I let it dry in order to grab the camera. Normally, you wipe or spray some water and wipe, and continue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand028.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	128967

QP's molding is original, so left alone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand029.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	128969

Even the little strip of QP running under door! Leave no stone unturned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand030.JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	128970

Now the door.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand031.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	128972
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand032.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	128974

Almost there

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand033.JPG Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	128971

Back to the top of the door, I noticed that areas around the handle were too textured, so did a light job here

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand034.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.6 KB ID:	128973

Next will be the rest of the door, then cutting and polishing the paint to see what progress I've made.

Comment

Finishing the bottom of the door

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand035.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.9 KB ID:	129342

Alright, so I'm ready now to start cutting the paint to remove sanding marks and bring back clarity/reflectivity. I'm trying a blue eurotech pad that's supposed to have good cut, and I'm starting with the medium polish from Griot's, the correcting cream. I have the heavier compound as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand036.JPG Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	129339

QP molding is original and in no need of correction, so I taped it up. I also still have tape in certain areas where I don't want any real cut. I'll remove the tape for the final polishing stage, however.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand037.JPG Views:	0 Size:	83.3 KB ID:	129341

Test spot

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand038.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.4 KB ID:	129340

Well, it made a big improvement, of course, but it didn't cut fast enough imo, still leaving a fair amount of haze and sanding marks. I finished with 2k grit paper and I don't think the correcting cream even gets that aggressive. I'd only use the correcting cream for light defects, like a one step on a car that's already in pretty good shape. I moved next to an orange (heavier cut, for foam) LC CSS pad and the strongest Griot's compound, Fast correcting cream (pic taken after correcting, new pad shown).

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand039.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	129343
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand040.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.2 KB ID:	129344

Even still, there were some sanding marks and some texture left in the rougher areas:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand041.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	129345

I decided to move to an even more aggressive pad, a thin MF pad that will take the paint down faster yes, but also less evenly, affecting the peaks more than the valleys vs foam that is so soft that it contours well to the highs/lows.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand042.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	129346

That did the trick. I did have to use my finger (wrapped with MF towel) and compound in the arears immediately surrounding the molding, and that wasn't easy (to generate enough heat), but I'm done and satisfied with the lack of sanding marks. Really pretty paint. I'm a sucker for our metallic paints:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand043.JPG Views:	0 Size:	181.7 KB ID:	129349

Started in on the bottom door, but got tired so stopped about halfway through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand044.JPG Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	129350

That upper, flat surface came out great:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand045.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	129347

Let's compare the factory fender to the resprayed door:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand046.JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	129348

This is only after compounding, no polish, but still very very clear. Polish will only reveal that last little bit of clarity at this point. Can you even see a difference in color match (moldings too, not just panels)? I talked a lot of shit about this respray - it really was a poor job overall, but the actual paint job was very very good. Basically identical color match and metallic "flop." As far as orange peel, it's very very close. I matched what the upper sections were, for uniformity, and I'd say it's just a little less orange peel than factory. Certainly not quite as tight of a "knit" for lack of a better term. Even the average "enthusiast" wouldn't have a clue it's a respray. You'd really have to know what you're looking for to tell it's a respray imo.

This car is my daily, and I had to pick a point to stop as I had work the next day and wanted to see it in the day light. Let's take a look:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand047.JPG Views:	0 Size:	209.9 KB ID:	129352

Kinda ghetto, but it's a work in progress. Maybe the tape lets you know?

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand048.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	129351

Hood and fender still looking great from the correction I did at the beginning.

Let's look more closely at the job I just did:

Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand049.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	129353 Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand050.JPG Views:	0 Size:	170.9 KB ID:	129354 Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand051.JPG Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	129355 Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand052.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	129356
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand053.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	129357 Click image for larger version  Name:	wetsand054.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	129358

Yes! I'm very very pleased with this! It was a big job (still only like halfway done), and probably the hardest thing I've done with the least amount of preparation/training/planning (well, I do have exp with the buffing part).

Now I'll finish the QP, including the little strip that runs under the trunk and the rear bumper. I also still will do the front bumper, and then last will be the upper pillar of the QP that runs over windows, as it's a pretty close match to factory as is, so last priority.

This, along with my other painting/finishing experience, gives me the confidence to also redo my faded rood rails. After that, the car's exterior is done and I'll move to the interior.

Comment

awesome work! If this were me, i would've sanded down to the primer by now, trying to "perfect it". I'm glad you had restraint on sanding too deep!

Comment

Working...
                                X