No announcement yet.

If you're trying to set a newer Mac laptop up to code... some notes and tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're trying to set a newer Mac laptop up to code... some notes and tips

Rather than buy some cheap POS Windows laptop off Craigslist, I tried to go through the process of getting Windows 10 set up in a VM on my MacBook Pro. Some notes in case you're doing the same:

VirtualBox w/ Extension Pack + Windows 10 is all free and works great.

BimmerGeeks K+DCAN Pro cable works with AmazonBasics USB-C to USB adapter no problem.

To get my W10 VM to see my K+DCAN cable + adapter combo, I had to:

1) install FTDI drivers inside Windows (.exe in the rightmost column was easiest): https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
    2) shut down the VM
    3) change USB settings in VirtualBox to USB 2.0 and add the FTDI cable (thanks to this BimmerFest thread):

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.36.38 PM.png
Views:	243
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	10539
    4) start the VM back up, and BMWFlasher was good to go:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 1.34.37 PM.png
Views:	222
Size:	617.5 KB
ID:	10540
    Everything else in Terra's guides worked as expected, except I had to copy one more folder than was listed to get WinKFP to work (I believe it was a "sgdata" folder?). Now to get my SMG up to CSL spec...
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Nice, glad to hear this worked for you!!

I have a cheap POS win7 laptop that I've got DIS set up on. But it's so shitty and old that I honestly dread using it and a lot of my diagnostic and coding projects have gone neglected as a result.

I've got a Win10 bootcamp partition set up on my new MBP, so I'm considering trying to see if I can get a DIS installation running on it. Would really change the game for me!

Comment

I was debating between doing a VM or going straight to Boot Camp. Since none of this requires much computing power at all, even my 13” MBP without Touch Bar is doing okay virtualizing it all. Just some extra steps to get everything working through all the different layers.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I already had bootcamp on my MBP for my CAD and IDE software. I have INPA, ISTA+, NCS Expert, and BMWFlash all installed with no problems.

Comment

Thanks for posting this

Comment

Working...
          X