Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coding DSC function to steering wheel button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

I don't think you understand how the bluebus works.
    what he wants can be executed perfectly on the blue bus.

All he need to know is how the blue bus code is written so he can Inject the command he wants when a certain button is pushed. He can read the commands and the switches of the bluebus.

I have take a quick look in the schematics and code. Sorry, but i think you have no idea of how programming and electronics works.
    This code is relative advanced, so nothing for a beginner to start with and not a simple "inject the commands he want".
    Its also misses a isolated output for this application, if he start learning c# with this, he will give up faster than you could imagine.

My tip for SteelGreyM : Its more easy for the beginning if you stay away from bus systems, grab a simple Arduino, a optocoupler, some wires and hardwire a button from the steering wheel to this. Or take the CSL steering wheel button and make it to "active" the dsc button short for Trackmode. And rewire the dsc button also to the Arduino (for a TOF time function) so that you have Trackmode and dsc off on separated buttons with a short press. (the Arduino do the "long" press for you)
    …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

I have take a quick look in the schematics and code. Sorry, but i think you have no idea of how programming and electronics works.
      This code is relative advanced, so nothing for a beginner to start with and not a simple "inject the commands he want".
      Its also misses a isolated output for this application, if he start learning c# with this, he will give up faster than you could imagine.

My tip for SteelGreyM : Its more easy for the beginning if you stay away from bus systems, grab a simple Arduino, a optocoupler, some wires and hardwire a button from the steering wheel to this. Or take the CSL steering wheel button and make it to "active" the dsc button short for Trackmode. And rewire the dsc button also to the Arduino (for a TOF time function) so that you have Trackmode and dsc off on separated buttons with a short press. (the Arduino do the "long" press for you)
      There is a difference in viewing a code and debugging it in real time. You can view it as much as you want, if you have the hardware it much easier to understand it.

Whats advance for you might not be advance for others. (if you think bluebus code is complicated)

I agree that C# is might not be the first language to learn.

You make seems like BUS systems is rocket science. You can literary monitor what goes in and out of it.

As long as the command he wants is located on the I-Bus (which i believe it is) i don't see it being complicated at all as you make it seems.

If OP doesn't even know anything about about MCU programing he can open a ticket on GIT if the developers will implement.

its an ongoing project which the the developer keeps adding new features to the e46 platform.

Comment

I don’t think either command goes over the Kbus. You could probably read the button status over the diagnostics bus and there may be a diagnostic command to simulate a DSC button press, but I don’t think you can do either of those via the Kbus

Comment

So just a small update. Nick Piper a fellow m3/S54 wagon guy was working on his M3 track car and tried using my directions above for getting M track mode to enable/disable by running wires from the DSC button in the switch panel to thre M trakc mode. it didnt work for him at first as we thought maybe it was Ground triggered.

he gave it another run and had success with using 12v Triger not ground trigger.

so now he is able to use the M track mode button just like the DSC button. press once for M track mode or press and HOLD for DSC OFF. I actually prefer that over M track mode default functionality with the separation of the 2 buttons. I hate reaching down to disable DSC.

this is what Nick did.

X10170 signal (pin 2 from X521) and then X10170 Pin 10 (Terminal-R 12V) for the M track mode button in the steering wheel. vs what we thought which was.

he sent a video of it working which was pretty neat not having to go the route of swapping out the DSC module just for this functionality.

Last edited by nextelbuddy; 03-07-2022, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
            I don’t think either command goes over the Kbus. You could probably read the button status over the diagnostics bus and there may be a diagnostic command to simulate a DSC button press, but I don’t think you can do either of those via the Kbus
            You're right, the DSC and MTM buttons are directly connected to the MK60. The switching center does have an I/K-Bus input and no D-Bus input, so it's entirely possible that this could be achieved via diagnostics but of course only if the developers wrote in an activate function for the DSC input. I tried to load up the SGBD in Tool32 but I couldn't figure out which one belonged to this module and gave up 🙃

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
            So just a small update. Nick Piper a fellow m3/S54 wagon guy was working on his M3 track car and tried using my directions above for getting M track mode to enable/disable by running wires from the DSC button in the switch panel to thre M trakc mode. it didnt work for him at first as we thought maybe it was Ground triggered.

he gave it another run and had success with using 12v Triger not ground trigger.

so now he is able to use the M track mode button just like the DSC button. press once for M track mode or press and HOLD for DSC OFF. I actually prefer that over M track mode default functionality with the separation of the 2 buttons. I hate reaching down to disable DSC.

this is what Nick did.

X10170 signal (pin 2 from X521) and then X10170 Pin 10 (Terminal-R 12V) for the M track mode button in the steering wheel. vs what we thought which was.

he sent a video of it working which was pretty neat not having to go the route of swapping out the DSC module just for this functionality.
            There was a little bit more to this -- his requirements didn't allow for 12v to be run to the clock spring since he always already using all the pins. I made him a custom PCB with a P-Channel MOSFET which takes Terminal-30 for 12v, the DSC Button as an input, outputs it back to the switch center and also has an input from the button on the clock spring. The PFET allowed him to use ground as a trigger for the DSC button. This is the simple schematic if anyone wants it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220503_114820.png
Views:	216
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	166131

-Ted

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

You're right, the DSC and MTM buttons are directly connected to the MK60. The switching center does have an I/K-Bus input and no D-Bus input, so it's entirely possible that this could be achieved via diagnostics but of course only if the developers wrote in an activate function for the DSC input. I tried to load up the SGBD in Tool32 but I couldn't figure out which one belonged to this module and gave up 🙃

There was a little bit more to this -- his requirements didn't allow for 12v to be run to the clock spring since he always already using all the pins. I made him a custom PCB with a P-Channel MOSFET which takes Terminal-30 for 12v, the DSC Button as an input, outputs it back to the switch center and also has an input from the button on the clock spring. The PFET allowed him to use ground as a trigger for the DSC button. This is the simple schematic if anyone wants it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20220503_114820.png Views:	86 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	166131

-Ted
              Bringing back an old thread. I believe my single steering wheel button is non-functioning at the moment. Need to figure out what and where "X10170 signal (pin 2 from X521) and then X10170 Pin 10 (Terminal-R 12V)" is.
              Last edited by puma1824; 02-13-2023, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Bringing back an old thread. I believe my single steering wheel button is non-functioning at the moment. Need to figure out what and where "X10170 signal (pin 2 from X521) and then X10170 Pin 10 (Terminal-R 12V)" is.
                I've been following your build thread and wondered about your MTM button. The wires you're talking about exist in the clock spring connector.

However, your biggest problem is that the MK60 that came out of that convertible donor isn't capable of making use of the MTM input. As far as I am aware, the CSL / ZCP MK60 is the only MK60 where that pin is wired internally, so even if you ran the wire to the module, it wouldn't interpret your inputs. Here's the wiring diagram:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

You can grab everything you need at the plug for switching center. Run one wire from the steering wheel button to the switching center, then add this circuit in series/parallel with the existing plug for the DSC button. I couldn’t find PNs for the male/female plugs, so I crimped two wires into each pin. Having quick finger/memory access to this button is probably my favorite mod, other than recaros. This is a photo of me testing the intensive washer stalk button/wiring which works with the same ground trigger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	CBEFD7F2-398B-4957-AFFD-46D115694CDE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	205466
                  Last edited by Bry5on; 02-14-2023, 10:28 AM.
                  ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Working...
                  X