CSL mode on E30 swapped S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL mode on E30 swapped S54

Hello guys! Currently my setup on E30 is: Stock MSS54, DSC deactivated, rear O2s deleted, running with stock MAF in K&N intake pipe. I'm planning next upgrade: Karbonius E30 swap intake, CSL clone MSS54HP, stock cams, MAP sensor. I Have a questions about tuning. As i understand- i need to replace mu ECU for HP one, remap it into CSL version, install IAT and MAP. So i have a questions: Which tune i need for fuel and ignition maps for correct AFR on stock cams? Can someone tell map or table names, as i've seen- guys only change VANOS maps and nothing else- is it enough for good AFR on full load? Will CSL map properly work without cat and without rear O2s? Do i need some calibrations for IAT sensor? Will CSL map work without DSC and other swap calibrations that i have? Thank you all in advance!

I'm running a similar set up! You will need to run a MSS54HP ECU with a modified stock CSL tune. You can download the stock CSL tune here, checkout the readme for some tutorials on actually reading/writing these tunes.

You will want to modify the stock CSL tune for your build and the easiest way I found to do this was with the binary-modification-tool, this will give you a nice GUI to work with and makes editing the tune file a breeze.

To correct for stock cams you will need to modify the VANOS offsets which cant be done on the binary modification tool (yet?). You can do this by using a hex editor program
    • VANOS offsets: at 0x1802 change "00 1E" to "FF EC", at 0x1BB6 change "FF EC" to "00 0A" (info pulled from this thread)
      • This is applicable only if running stock cams. This is not required if running CSL cams and will be incorrect if running any other type of cams
    • I would also change 0xE002 from 00 to 01 ,
      • This allows you to properly read error codes using the OBD2 tool. You will definitely want this unless you have a CAN controller integrated for your CEL.

Will CSL map properly work without cat and without rear O2s? -- Yes, just make sure you account for this using the binary-modification-tool

Do I need some calibrations for IAT sensor? -- Yes when using the binary modification tool make sure select the correct IAT sensor, you can use two different parts but I recommend using stock CSL sensor (part # 13621739510) if you are running the Karbonius E30 airbox since it plugs right in.

Will CSL map work without DSC and other swap calibrations that I have? yep

Comment

Originally posted by S54orzo View Post
      I'm running a similar set up! You will need to run a MSS54HP ECU with a modified stock CSL tune. You can download the stock CSL tune here, checkout the readme for some tutorials on actually reading/writing these tunes.

You will want to modify the stock CSL tune for your build and the easiest way I found to do this was with the binary-modification-tool, this will give you a nice GUI to work with and makes editing the tune file a breeze.

To correct for stock cams you will need to modify the VANOS offsets which cant be done on the binary modification tool (yet?). You can do this by using a hex editor program
      • VANOS offsets: at 0x1802 change "00 1E" to "FF EC", at 0x1BB6 change "FF EC" to "00 0A" (info pulled from this thread)
        • This is applicable only if running stock cams. This is not required if running CSL cams and will be incorrect if running any other type of cams
        • This allows you to properly read error codes using the OBD2 tool. You will definitely want this unless you have a CAN controller integrated for your CEL.

Will CSL map properly work without cat and without rear O2s? -- Yes, just make sure you account for this using the binary-modification-tool

Do I need some calibrations for IAT sensor? -- Yes when using the binary modification tool make sure select the correct IAT sensor, you can use two different parts but I recommend using stock CSL sensor (part # 13621739510) if you are running the Karbonius E30 airbox since it plugs right in.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by S54orzo View Post

Done intake swap, now working on DTCs. Could you pls help with speedometer signal changing and k factor? On previous setup I've used Github XDFs- bot now on CSL 0401 version I didn't found it. Which bytes I should change for direct road speed signal and where change pulses for k diff factor?

Comment

The changes are exactly the same. Only at a different location.
          Ofcourse this time it‘s not that easy with just clicking a function in a xdf somebody created.
          So if you managed to change it already on a different version, just compare your changes and adapt it to your tune. And nice sideeffect, you understand a bit what some of these changed bytes do.

But remember, anyway you have to bring it to a tuner to map it correctly for std cams. Otherwise you will have massiv lean and rich conditions. If you go to the correct tuner, he can also do the changes to run in e30 for you. There are some around here in this forum.
          …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
            The changes are exactly the same. Only at a different location.
            Ofcourse this time it‘s not that easy with just clicking a function in a xdf somebody created.
            So if you managed to change it already on a different version, just compare your changes and adapt it to your tune. And nice sideeffect, you understand a bit what some of these changed bytes do.

But remember, anyway you have to bring it to a tuner to map it correctly for std cams. Otherwise you will have massiv lean and rich conditions. If you go to the correct tuner, he can also do the changes to run in e30 for you. There are some around here in this forum.
            My plan is change Vanos offsets like offered for stock cams on CSL 0401 map, then cause my s54 is in e30- I need some mods with DTCs, engine speed sensor and other minor tune- check that all working properly- then install Shrick cams and do proper tune for my spec. Now I on first step- adaptation of csl 0401 tune for swapped engine) cause there is no swap xdf- going for new experience with Tuner pro))

Comment

Don't know really where to post this, also not worth a own thread. But could be interesting for S54 swapped e30's if someone if after a kind of data display or "bordcomputer".
              Made this some time ago, a replacement for the e30 analog clock/bordcomputer, that shows some data from obd, connected analogsensors and fault memory. On bench only in demo mode, so only some random values are showed.

…under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                Don't know really where to post this, also not worth a own thread. But could be interesting for S54 swapped e30's if someone if after a kind of data display or "bordcomputer".
                Made this some time ago, a replacement for the e30 analog clock/bordcomputer, that shows some data from obd, connected analogsensors and fault memory. On bench only in demo mode, so only some random values are showed.

Nice! PM pls when it will be available for sale

Comment

Nice! Let say I would like to retain my OEM clock but delete the radio, can you do a bigger display that fit the radio instead?
                  2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                  2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                  2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post

Nice! PM pls when it will be available for sale
                    some time ago, a company requested these from me for their e30/24 swaps, but sometimes life happens and they went out of business shortly before I finished the project. So I let project in "as is" condition until now I put I back on the bench.
                    Originally they where requested / developed with a a set of specific sensors (oil pressue+temp, gearbox temp, diff temp).

But if someone what one, I can do custom one.
                    PM me please if someone is interested.
                    …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                    X