ECUWORX Binary modification tool keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECUWORX Binary modification tool keeps crashing

Trying to load my partial read in and the tool keeps crashing when trying to load!
    Can't seem to find any contact email for ECUWORX on their webpage to ask why... In-fact, they're impossible to contact, I'm surprised anyone gets anything lol

Anyone any idea; not looking to change anything but would like to look around the tool and see how it works on a bin..

Edit, may have found the issue - BMWFlash seems to only have read 32kb...
    Last edited by Arinb12; 11-24-2021, 08:40 AM.

I've edited a partial in Martyn's tool pulled with BMFlash. I don't remember doing anything special. Any update?
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

For some reason BMWflasher wont pull a fully sized 64kb partial read nor a full sized 1024kb full read.
      the tune on it is ttfs and their tool wont do it either ?!

Comment

ttfs tunes are locked no?

Comment

Not sure, previous owner fitted this...

Comment

Ya might just be showing 32kb due to encryption or something? I'm pretty positive ttfs tunes are locked.

Comment

Seems strange though. Because even reading using their "protuner" tool gives me a 32kb partial read.. I can't see how it would turn into 64kb after they unencrypted it?

Comment

Ya I don't know enough about it to say, but I do know that their tunes, like evolve before 2017 iirc, were locked. I don't remember if ttfs ever stopped locking them though a few members were successful in ttfs providing an unlocked tune when requested iirc.

Comment

I'm having the a similar (or the same) issue. With my new-ish CSL binary tuned by HTE/Hassan, when using ECUWorks' Binary Mod Tool, it looks like it's reading the file. That is, I took a partial read with BMWFlash and tried to load the file into ECU Works. It just shuts down a couple seconds later without any error. If I used my old MSS54 binaries, it load just fine. But the new MSS54HP with CSL and HTE tune, it crashes.

I've sent Martyn an email (per the instructions on his website) but just found this thread to figured I'd ask. Anyone else experiencing this have it figured out?
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Yup, it's because there are certain circumstances where BMWFlash incorrectly identifies the DME and spits out a 32KB file instead of 64KB.

My software looks at the file sizes and expects certain things in certain locations based on that, so when you feed it a corrupt 32KB read it crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                      Yup, it's because there are certain circumstances where BMWFlash incorrectly identifies the DME and spits out a 32KB file instead of 64KB.

My software looks at the file sizes and expects certain things in certain locations based on that, so when you feed it a corrupt 32KB read it crashes.
                      Thanks Martyn! I will retry with MSSFlasher instead of BMWFlash and report back. Many thanks for the quick response via email too.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

Closing the loop on this, I fixed my issue today. Thank you Martyn !!! I ordered MSS Flasher, went back out to the car and it pulled down a 64KB file instead of a 32KB file (that kept happening with BMWFlash). I made my modifications via ECUWorx Binary Mod tool (could not be any easier) and saved the binary locally. I then tried to flash the modified binary with BMWFlash but it error-ed out saying "This Upgrade Is Not For This Type Of DME. HP to Non-HP etc." So I switched to MSS Flasher to flash the tune. Worked like a champ!

For the uninitiated like myself, in MSS Flasher, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to select "Flash tune" or "Flash prg" when it was time to flash my DME/ECU. I went with the former (Flash tune) and it worked perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECUWorx Config 2022-Aug-27.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	182182

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSS Flasher Config 2022-Aug-27.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	182183

Comment