Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSS54HP Can’t Communicate With Bench But Can Via OBD

Hey Guys,
    I apologize for my amateur understanding of this process so be easy on my. I had my MSS54HP sent off and converted to CSL tune/hardware a few years ago. Everything works great with the car, but it can’t connect to my State’s emission equipment.

I sent it back to be bench flashed to the U.S. Specs and hardware version so that an Alpha N tune could be loaded on it. I was told that the ECU chips won’t communicate on the bench, but will via OBD. Original ECU.

Does this mean that the ECU will be stuck in its current configuration if it can’t communicate with the bench? Is there anything that could have caused this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Send it to someone else that knows what they are doing!

Comment

I would bet they have a FGtech clone and you have ST eeproms in your HP rather than AMD ones

As Martyn said, send it to someone that knows what he is doing.
      …under construction.

Comment

Any recommendations for someone qualified in in the U.S.? The ECU is being sent back to me and I would love to send it to someone for some help.

[Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

To clarify, this is the following situation. I sent my ECU off to Kassel to be flashed to CSL software when I switched to a carbon airbox. The car worked fine and everything was great. My State has strange emissions software that struggles to connect, so the test fails. I contacted a tuner to remote in and change my software to U.S. spec and put an Alpha N tune on the car so I could go to state emissions and return home. The tuner was unable to flash software onto my ECU, and saw that the hardware version was different, which prevented the ECU from accepting the tune. I would need to have the ECU bench flashed back to the original U.S. spec then the ECU could have an alpha tune flashed on it.

I sent the ECU to Kassel to have them revert my ECU back to the original U.S. spec tune so I can proceed with this process. I was told the ECU will connect via OBD, but the chips will not connect so the ECU cannot be bench flashed back to the original U.S. spec tune. They said this is the first time they have encountered this. The ECU is being sent back to me. What the hell are my options for sending it to someone to try to bench flash it again. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Open up your ECU and post pictures of your EEPROMs and the BDM pads when you get it back. Like other said, could be ST EEPROMs. Or maybe they messed up the pads.

The highlighted things in this pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_823.png
Views:	139
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	150847
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

These photos may be huge….hopefully I captured what is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                Open up your ECU and post pictures of your EEPROMs and the BDM pads when you get it back. Like other said, could be ST EEPROMs. Or maybe they messed up the pads.

The highlighted things in this pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_823.png
Views:	139
Size:	861.9 KB
ID:	150847

Comment

Hmm I don't see anything blatantly wrong. Chips are AMD too so they should work fine if they have an fgtech clone. It's kinda hard to diagnose over the internet, but the next thing I would do is check continuity of every pad on the bdm header. Just to completely rule out hardware issues.

I kinda agree with what others have said. Give this to someone who knows what they're doing and they should be able to flash it. I can't really help with recommendations though
                  Last edited by heinzboehmer; 01-29-2022, 10:56 AM.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                  X