Cluster with Coding Index 0x24 Virginization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster with Coding Index 0x24 Virginization

I'm dropping a C24h IKE into my Touring and I'm in the process of altering the EEPROM bin that I dumped off the M35080-6 -- I have 00h - 1Fh set to 00h, but the VIN is a bit confusing -- do I just set 7Ah - 7Eh to FFh? I do see the VIN there, but I'm not sure if there's a check digit or anything else to worry about --
    50 4E 62 05 80 = PN62058

Thanks!
    -Ted

Attached Files

Comment

So this will truly clear out the mileage and sync to lcm the next time the cluster is connected to the car? I have an old cluster to sell and this is good info if true. I thought the mileage was encrypted on that eeprom chip? Or are you guys using an eeprom reader for this process?
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

So this will truly clear out the mileage and sync to lcm the next time the cluster is connected to the car? I have an old cluster to sell and this is good info if true. I thought the mileage was encrypted on that eeprom chip? Or are you guys using an eeprom reader for this process?
        Yeah, you need to desolder the EEPROM, burn the edited contents onto a new one (because they like to fail if you edit them and then burn them back for some reason), then solder it back. I'm converting mine for use in a four door (so adding additional LEDs and such), so it already made sense to strip it down to the PCB.

Comment

Yea i have to remove the M3508 chip from the board and read everything using my r270 chip reader. technically you can use PASoft to read the cluster BIN file but the mileage and VIN areas are protected in the sense that they do not allow writing data via OBD. I have had hit or miss with attempting to write back the new Bin file with Zeroed out mileage and changed VIN back to the original M3508 chip. sometimes it will work if i change my r270 to classify it as a different type chip but usually most times it doesnt work. i have about 3 chips oft i got from ebay few years ago that I use on my clusters and seem to work fine.

I usually Zero out the mileage and then update the VIN using the directions above, flash the NEW chip in my r270 and then solder the new chip back to the cluster board. as soon as you turn ignition on in a car with an LCM that has a matching VIN, the mileage just updates and displays on the cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
            Yea i have to remove the M3508 chip from the board and read everything using my r270 chip reader. technically you can use PASoft to read the cluster BIN file but the mileage and VIN areas are protected in the sense that they do not allow writing data via OBD. I have had hit or miss with attempting to write back the new Bin file with Zeroed out mileage and changed VIN back to the original M3508 chip. sometimes it will work if i change my r270 to classify it as a different type chip but usually most times it doesnt work. i have about 3 chips oft i got from ebay few years ago that I use on my clusters and seem to work fine.

I usually Zero out the mileage and then update the VIN using the directions above, flash the NEW chip in my r270 and then solder the new chip back to the cluster board. as soon as you turn ignition on in a car with an LCM that has a matching VIN, the mileage just updates and displays on the cluster.
            Cool just like a factory new cluster. Had a feeling.

And yes same findings with pasoft. The vin and mileage are encrypted over obd.

Not to thread jack too hard but this is somewhat relevant for other people… a virgin cluster should bring it back to the same state as a factory new cluster huh? On first plug in it will pull vin and mileage automatically.

Curious though, will it mirror the VO from the lcm as well? Looking to buy a brand new cluster from bmw for my sedan as there’s a fuel gauge issue that can’t be repaired and I’d like to virginize the original cluster before listing it for sale to someone who doesn’t really care.

I can add the VO myself no problem but I’m curious if the virgin cluster will solely just pull vin and mileage from lcm or do I also need to match the write the VO to the cluster from the lcm and then recode the cluster accordingly to be “correct” per say? I’m assuming the latter but was curious. I don’t want to be providing tech support to someone remotely lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

Cool just like a factory new cluster. Had a feeling.

And yes same findings with pasoft. The vin and mileage are encrypted over obd.

Not to thread jack too hard but this is somewhat relevant for other people… a virgin cluster should bring it back to the same state as a factory new cluster huh? On first plug in it will pull vin and mileage automatically.

Curious though, will it mirror the VO from the lcm as well? Looking to buy a brand new cluster from bmw for my sedan as there’s a fuel gauge issue that can’t be repaired and I’d like to virginize the original cluster before listing it for sale to someone who doesn’t really care.

I can add the VO myself no problem but I’m curious if the virgin cluster will solely just pull vin and mileage from lcm or do I also need to match the write the VO to the cluster from the lcm and then recode the cluster accordingly to be “correct” per say? I’m assuming the latter but was curious. I don’t want to be providing tech support to someone remotely lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              the VO is brought back onto the new Chip.

when you read the BIN file it contains all of the coding data for that cluster coding index so if its a 24 CI and you read the file. you Zero out the miles and change the VIN in the BIN file and then save it. then you flash that modified BIN file back to the replacement M3508 chip. once you flash it back to the cluster, it should be exactly as it was except the proper Vin and Miles now.

Comment

Working...
              X