Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCS Expert: Custom steering angle sensor profile for faster rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NCS Expert: Custom steering angle sensor profile for faster rack?

Hey all. I know it's been discussed before but I can't figure out the function our steering angle sensor uses for determining steering rack ratio and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this? I have ZCP settings for my ZHP rack currently which is perfect because they're the same ratio on an M3 but actually wanted to see about creating a custom profile in NCS Dummy to adjust for an even faster rack assuming this is possible. I don't see why you can't because you just need the formula for how the sensor takes the turns lock to lock of the rack when mounted to M3 knuckles. I'm more curious if the sensor calibration will max out before reaching said faster ratio.

Here is what I found in NCS Dummy. For reference, there is a SMALL window outside of the rack ratio that the sensor will allow for a faster rack without triggering DSC inadvertently for thinking you are turning the rack too violently. I actually have CSL MDM settings on my ZHP sedan and on a fast backroad with a lot of inputs the car works incredible with the CSL settings and that rack is a 13.7 since non-m knuckles allow a shorter tie rod length. I've considered custom knuckles on the M3 but if I want to go faster than an equivalent 13.7 ratio, the sensor will absolutely need a custom profile so it doesn't think the car is constantly understeering.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 11.47.38 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	614.1 KB ID:	172377
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thegenius46m; 06-16-2022, 11:00 AM.
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Good stuff, now code my car for MDM & ZCP/CSL rack
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      Good stuff, now code my car for MDM & ZCP/CSL rack
      You know where to find me
      2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

I would pull the data values for non-m, CSL and stock M3 from NCS expert. Plot those against known ratios and that should give you the conversion curve.
        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Working...
        X