Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MK60 VIN Issue (M3 Track mode rabbit hole)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK60 VIN Issue (M3 Track mode rabbit hole)

Hi all, hoping someone can shine some light on this for me.

Started enabling track mode (LED present) and wrote $7MA to AKMB.

Then it got weird. I have no MK60 as an ECU (I have DSC but it doesn't respond / errors out). Updated SP DATEN to v69 and ran update procedure for NCS Expert etc, still the same.

INPA can talk to car. Now the interesting part.

Under Chassis / MK60 I can read values etc from the unit, however under Identification, the VIN for that module is ONE letter out. The VIN under MK60 is WBABL920201234 the VIN under the engine routine S54 is WBSBL920201234, the latter being the correct VIN.

My question is, is the incorrect VIN WBABL stopping NCS expert from seeing the module when choosing an ECU. If it is, how do I correct the VIN against the MK60. I've tried the routine in INPA under compensation to no avail.

Its either a BMW thing, or the previous owner swapped the DSC and mistyped the VIN. A is right next to S on keyboard!

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Did someone swap the MK60 module on this car? The car will indeed complain if the vin is incorrect to the chassis. I know this is the case because I tried swapping clusters to test something between my sedan and the M3 and when I put the sedan cluster in the M3 and tried to clear faults and run steering angle calibration so I could test the dsc button function, the MK60 complained that the vin was not a match and I was unable to do my testing. I would absolutely start by correcting the VIN in the MK60 to your correct vin. I haven't tried it yet but I believe you can do this in PAsoft for the MK60 module. Otherwise you'll need to use tool32 but PAsoft is much easier.
    2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!

I’ve fixed this, so putting here for future people in case it helps. The car had a load of random options in the VO. More importantly the production date #0302 was wrong.

Corrected to my year #0304 and MK60 popped up, coded M-Track successfully with NCSExpert.

the VIN in INPA WBAB indicates a british vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by lynas View Post
          Thanks for the replies!!

I’ve fixed this, so putting here for future people in case it helps. The car had a load of random options in the VO. More importantly the production date #0302 was wrong.

Corrected to my year #0304 and MK60 popped up, coded M-Track successfully with NCSExpert.

the VIN in INPA WBAB indicates a british vehicle.

So vin was wrong huh?

Comment

Originally posted by thegenius46m View Post

So vin was wrong huh?
            No, the production date on the CAR was wrong. I couldn't see the newer DSC module as the car wouldn't show it, thinking it was an older model.

VIN was a red herring.

Comment

Working...
            X