Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Cable Replacement Options

2002 M3 6MT Coupe

My car got hit and the positive battery cable blew.

I don't want that to happen again, preferably.

1. What options do I have if I want to prevent that in the future?

2. Is there a cable post that bypasses that feature so I don't have to replace the whole cable?

3. Worst case, can I just install a cable from the newer E46 M3s that has the end that disconnects from the rest of the cable so that's all I have to replace next time? (Am I correct that the newer M3s had a better cable that has a disconnect portion near the battery end of it?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much.

- Brian
    Last edited by Cephyr13; 01-20-2023, 12:50 PM.

Its a safety feature. Don't bypass safety features.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      Its a safety feature. Don't bypass safety features.
      I've had a several cars over the years, none of which had this feature. Instead, they had a fuel shut-off that would occur on impact. I'd open the trunk and hit the button to reset it and the car starts right back up. That's reasonable and not an inconvenience. BMW's battery-fuse cable is ridiculous. It forces you to tow the car and replace a cable that spans nearly the entire car. When looking at the percentage of wrecks that involve a electrical or fuel fire, it's pretty low. So it's not a safety feature I care to have on my car. I don't mind a few safety features if they make sense. This particular one is overkill and poorly engineered.

Besides, if I were to convert it to a cable with an end that disconnects and can be replaced, that wouldn't get rid of the safety feature. But personally, I'd prefer to get rid of the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephyr13 View Post

I've had a several cars over the years, none of which had this feature. Instead, they had a fuel shut-off that would occur on impact. I'd open the trunk and hit the button to reset it and the car starts right back up. That's reasonable and not an inconvenience. BMW's battery-fuse cable is ridiculous. It forces you to tow the car and replace a cable that spans nearly the entire car. When looking at the percentage of wrecks that involve a electrical or fuel fire, it's pretty low. So it's not a safety feature I care to have on my car. I don't mind a few safety features if they make sense. This particular one is overkill and poorly engineered.

Besides, if I were to convert it to a cable with an end that disconnects and can be replaced, that wouldn't get rid of the safety feature. But personally, I'd prefer to get rid of the feature.

Okay. Get rid of the feature. Thats not hard, although I'd expect you'll need to do it yourself as most good shops would probably refuse to do it.

Comment

BMW sells repair kits: https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...rminal.745674/

More expensive than the entire cable though (and more chance of screwing it up). I also would not get rid of the feature.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
          X