Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of power supply do you use duiring flashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of power supply do you use duiring flashing?

Hi i'm pretty new to tuning. Read some thing about we need to Maintenace votage and current of 10 A during flashing. Otherwise, may get a bricked dme. What kind of power supply/charger do you guys normally use? How about this two? thanks!
    Amazon.com: 12-Amp Smart Battery Charger,Lithium,Lead-Acid(AGM/Gel/SLA) Pulse Repair Car Battery Charger,Trickle Charger,Maintainer/Deep Cycle Charger,12V/10A | 24V/7.5A for Automotive,Boat,Motorcycle,Lawn Mower : Automotive

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger,Black : Automotive

I didn't know 10amp was suggested. I thought even a trickle charger at lower, "maintenance" amperage like 4amp was sufficient. What's the likelihood of a batteyr to go bad if it's on a trickle charger?

Perhaps you want a switchable charger that does maintence (lower amp) for when the car sits AND higher amp (10a) for flashing and recharging a low battery?

Interested to see more responses, good question!
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks, I just read it here and other websites mentioned 10A.

DIY: Flashing your SMG module with CSL Software + CSL Rev Matching and Torque Maps - NA M3 Forums
      "​
      - An E46 M3 equipped with the SMG2 Transmission
      - BMW Standard Tools 2.5.0 or later (Should come with WinKFP 5.1.6 or newer)
      - Access to E46 data files (I recommend Ista/P V37 or later)
      - Some sort power supply that can stably supply 13-14V at 10A

Unlike coding with NCS Expert, reflashing a module with WinKFP takes quite a bit of time and consumes quite a bit of power. A failure is almost guaranteed if you don’t use a good power supply. Make sure it isn’t one that’ll automatically turn off.​"

Comment

These chargers only do 6v/12v as far as I see, so I don't know where you're going to find the 13-14v. I think the person who wrote that suggested 13-14v because that's what the battery puts out when the car is running?
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have used a 10A without issue

Comment

What are you flashing? A fully charged battery should get you through a few DME flashes no problem. Only takes a couple minutes to flash the DME. Yes, there's a chance of messing up the DME if the battery dips too low, but you'll notice before that happens (lights get dim, radio starts popping, etc.).

I recently did a bunch of flashing/coding on mrgizmo04 's car without plugging it in and it was fine even on his teeny lithium ion battery.

Just mentioning this to save you some money/time in case all you're trying to do is flash one tune onto your car. I think the reason the SMG flash thread mentions a charger is that that actually takes a long time (more on the order of a half hour than a couple min).
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I guess depends. Quick mssflasher to read/write a partial bin you should be fine (unless you know your battery is on it's last legs), updating full bin or modules which take time, could be a different story. As precaution, turn automatic lights off, radio off, fan/ac off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                What are you flashing? A fully charged battery should get you through a few DME flashes no problem. Only takes a couple minutes to flash the DME. Yes, there's a chance of messing up the DME if the battery dips too low, but you'll notice before that happens (lights get dim, radio starts popping, etc.).

I recently did a bunch of flashing/coding on mrgizmo04 's car without plugging it in and it was fine even on his teeny lithium ion battery.

Just mentioning this to save you some money/time in case all you're trying to do is flash one tune onto your car. I think the reason the SMG flash thread mentions a charger is that that actually takes a long time (more on the order of a half hour than a couple min).
                Just got my M3 with a shark injector v2 tune. The owner wants to sell his device to me. I just don't want to spend this kind of money. So I'm trying to flash stock first and then CSL DME. I assume it may take longer than coding some parameters or tune.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                  I guess depends. Quick mssflasher to read/write a partial bin you should be fine (unless you know your battery is on it's last legs), updating full bin or modules which take time, could be a different story. As precaution, turn automatic lights off, radio off, fan/ac off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  Are those flasher software all the same? I saw mssflasher and also MSS5x etc. Just get confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    These chargers only do 6v/12v as far as I see, so I don't know where you're going to find the 13-14v. I think the person who wrote that suggested 13-14v because that's what the battery puts out when the car is running?
                    Yes, that is also my question about this. I saw this one Amazon.com: CTEK (56-353) MULTI US 7002 12-Volt Battery Charger,Black : Automotive​ has power supply mode which can give out 13.6V and 7A. But not 10A.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                      I have used a 10A without issue
                      which one do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by freezingair View Post

which one do you use?
                        this, bought at Autozone

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	202733

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

this, bought at Autozone

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	202733
                          Thank a lot!

Comment

I use this trickle charger and have for years! It is a little bit on the expensive side but it has saved many a battery and has the option for for 2A, 8A, 15A. It's great! $100
                            2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

I built one of these bad boys: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838716

50ish amps for about the same price as a regular charger. Certainly overkill for the e46, but useful if you flash newer stuff, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X