Car stalling after CSL upgrades and DME software update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car stalling after CSL upgrades and DME software update

My 2004 US-spec M3 has undergone the upgrades I originally posted here: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...104#post156104

Summary:
    1. Karbonius intake
    2. Schrick 280/272 cams
    3. Kassel MAP sensor kit
    4. SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers (44001), section-1 with sport cats (44002), and resonated twin-pipe section-2 (44003)
    5. DME HW update for flap operation at Kassel
    6. DME SW update from Kassel; using Terra's modified BIN
    After the initial start, car is stalling.

Wondering why this would happen?

I still need to confirm with the shop, but would this happen if the ONLY thing that was flashed was Terra's modified full bin, without the car's original tune being flashed back + change 0xE002 from 00 to 01?

One clarification question RE: the files posted on GitHub repo here:
    Can Terra's partial be flashed on a converted US MSS54HP DME? What is confusing in those files is that the filename refers to 2113 2300 0401, but in the 2113 2300 group of Version Strings documented here, page-12, I don't see a 0401 variant. The lowest it goes for MSS54HP is 0601.

For reference, my DME version string is 2113 2300 2701 J469.
    2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
    ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
    Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Another interesting data point: in the Fix For Error Code Reading on MSSFlasher CSL Tune post, terra mentions that one should change 0xE002 byte from 00 to 01 and flash it back to the DME.

However, in my stock tune that I backed up from the car before the changes, that location ALREADY contained a 01 instead of a 00. Does that mean that I can simply re-flash my original tune back to the car without any changes for proper operation?
    Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
    SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2

Comment

Did you not get a custom tune after all the hardware upgrades? The CSL software isn’t tuned for those cams.
      2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

I have terra 0401 bin- 288/280 cams and Karbonius intake- idle a bit raw but car is not stalling. Seems like EWS or timing missed

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
          Did you not get a custom tune after all the hardware upgrades? The CSL software isn’t tuned for those cams.
          Yes, I will work with HassanEido to get a tune. However, I had heard people being able to use the stock CSL tune to at least get it started and going at a reasonable pace.​

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post
          I have terra 0401 bin- 288/280 cams and Karbonius intake- idle a bit raw but car is not stalling. Seems like EWS or timing missed​
          The ECU is the original one. What could the EWS issue be?
          On the timing: are you thinking when the cams were installed, the components weren't put back properly? Would codes indicate something about timing?

Comment

Originally posted by HanSooloo View Post
            Yes, I will work with HassanEido to get a tune. However, I had heard people being able to use the stock CSL tune to at least get it started and going at a reasonable pace.​

The ECU is the original one. What could the EWS issue be?
            On the timing: are you thinking when the cams were installed, the components weren't put back properly? Would codes indicate something about timing?
            If you flashed full terra bin and tune- you should change EWS in software or turn it off using the ecuworx tune- I think your trouble is EWS difference in your flash and car module

Comment

Would EWS cause a stall? I thought EWS would simply block the car from running.

Comment

Are connections to the airbox all good? I had a hose that wasn't connected completely at the bottom of my stock airbox after Big 3 were done. My car started stalling every time I hit the brakes after startup. I would turn the car on and back down the driveway and the car would stall as soon as I hit the brakes. We checked the airbox connection and noticed the hose on the bottom wasn't secured properly. Once that connection was fixed the car stopped stalling. Figured I'd mention it in case you're looking for something you can double check while you wait on the coding pros to do their thing.
                '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Would EWS cause a stall? I thought EWS would simply block the car from running.
                  Sure, it would stall

Comment

The EWS issue displays as the care firing up like normal and then immediately turning off.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i
                    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Turns out the air sensor wasn't plugged in. After that was done, the car is starting up and not experiencing any stalls. Next up is a proper tune.

Comment

Turns out the air sensor wasn't plugged in. After that was done, the car is starting up and not experiencing any stalls. Next up is a proper tune.
                        Nice! Sounded almost identical to my issue with the airbox. I'm glad it was a quick fix.
                        '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Gotta love when it's something silly like that. We've all been there!

Comment

Working...
                          X