Help choosing new laptop for DIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help choosing new laptop for DIS

I am looking to buy a used laptop to run DIS via pss software (Mario). One suggestion he had was a Dell Latitude D630 with a Core2. He said to make sure the CPU is compatible w/ virtualization.
    I thought my current old laptop was compatible but that isn't the case.
    Could someone help me find a suitable setup, looking to spend $150-200 tops.
    I looked up the Dell he suggested on Amazon and the results are below in the link.
    I just need to know which CPU version I need to run VMWARE and his " version" of DIS.

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Can you run DIS in VMWARE? That would be awesome. I’m using a surface pro for INPA and other diagnostic stuff. DIS GT1 is the only missing link.

I might be the only Asian that sucks at dem computers.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      Can you run DIS in VMWARE? That would be awesome. I’m using a surface pro for INPA and other diagnostic stuff. DIS GT1 is the only missing link.

I might be the only Asian that sucks at dem computers.
      Yep! I used to run this exact DIS installation on my surface pro 4, no issues.

Comment

I have a hard time using/understanding the VMware compatibility chart.

Looking at this laptop...

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
          I have a hard time using/understanding the VMware compatibility chart.

Looking at this laptop...

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude...9347624&sr=8-8
          Keep in mind that you're going to be running a whole OS inside of vmware - on top of the OS you're already running. So only having 2gb of ram is pretty small. I'd pick something with at least 4gb of ram, minimum, 8gb would be better.
          E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Ok, the pss software owner said that particular Dell was his "go to machine", but thats probably because its got serial ports and USB. I think a serial port is required to run a certain cable for older vehicles?

It's sounds like I just need to find a laptop that will run Windows 7 with as much power (CPU/RAM) as I can find within my budget. My original budget will probably have to increase as nice cheap second had machines aren't really as prevalent due to everyone working from home and schooling from home.
            I'll visit my local used PC shop tomorrow talk to the guys and pick their brains.

Instagram

Comment

I wouldn’t bother with DIS, ISTA is much nicer to use once you get it up and running and runs natively.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                I wouldn’t bother with DIS, ISTA is much nicer to use once you get it up and running and runs natively.
                Except it doesn't work fully with the MSS5x without an ICOM. In particular, you can't do a VANOS test. It gets stuck at trying to enter the dms menu. I thought it might be a voltage detect issue so I tried emulating that, and that didn't help.

Comment

My bad! I guess I always reach for my ICOM by default when working with ISTA so i'm kinda spoilt.

Comment

Working...
                  X