Strange Vanos Offset Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Vanos Offset Values

This is a reading from my Stock DME I just pulled up, the readings are the vanos offsets. Why in the heck would they be this far out of spec? I assume someone must have changed them, but why?

I currently have a different DME installed in the vehicle with CSL Software as many may know by know by all of my posts in regards to that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200515_191619.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	25159
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Are you using the correct xdf?
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Are you using the correct xdf?
      That I do not know. The XDF I used to produce the values I just posted a Screen shot of was the one Martyn linked to me so I could view my CSL DME offset values.
      here's a link to it the XDF I am using

https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...4_Complete.xdf

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

That I do not know. The XDF I used to produce the values I just posted a Screen shot of was the one Martyn linked to me so I could view my CSL DME offset values.
        here's a link to it the XDF I am using

https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...4_Complete.xdf
        Yup you're using the 0401 xdf which is for CSL DMEs. Different program versions have the same parameters located in different places, which is why you're seeing values that don't make sense with your non-CSL DME.

Here's a table of the different versions: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X....-1601-to-1801
        Page 10 of this document describes how to identify your program version: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dification.pdf. You can also load a tune read from your non-CSL DME into Martyn's tool and it will tell you your program version.

BTW I would recommend going through and reading everything on the GitHub page (all documents and everything on the wiki) if you're going to continue messing with your tune. It'll help you understand everything a lot better.
        Last edited by heinzboehmer; 05-15-2020, 04:59 PM.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yup you're using the 0401 xdf which is for CSL DMEs. Different program versions have the same parameters located in different places, which is why you're seeing values that don't make sense with your non-CSL DME.

Here's a table of the different versions: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X....-1601-to-1801
          Page 10 of this document describes how to identify your program version: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dification.pdf. You can also load a tune read from your non-CSL DME into Martyn's tool and it will tell you your program version.

BTW I would recommend going through and reading everything on the GitHub page (all documents and everything on the wiki) if you're going to continue messing with your tune. It'll help you understand everything a lot better.
          Thanks man, makes me feel much better, thanks for the links. More reading, seems like I'm spending every night reading about something for my BMW. Could be worse...

Instagram

Comment

Yup it's there for a reason. Polar wrote the DIY PDF which is the best start to what you need. I myself fix computers for a living, and it was out of my comfort zone only because it was new. Before to get the XDFs one had to "prove" they were competent, but much of the info was scattered about in 500+pages of forum. I knew basics like editing hex for video game saves and getting corrupted word documents to work for customers, but again, THIS was new. Over time I could search for patterns by hand to fix a few things, but alas for bigger fixes programming knowledge comes in handy....I pay people for that knowledge handsomely.

I cannot stress enough, directing people to github to become familiar with terms is elementary but SO VERY NEEDED. Thank you heinzboehmer for directing people the correct way. I made a darn youtube video on how to do this for engine swaps, (specifically E30/36) and many still don't get basics. Much of this info should not have to be repeated. It may be annoying to read, but the same questions on basics only clutter the forum.

Last, the XDFs ARE FLAWED!!!! They are not perfect. There are mistakes. I hope more people join the github project to help correct things they need. It is not easy. However, the majority of what we need for swaps/performancing tuning is right. To find and know how to tune your engine IS NOT COVERED @ Github!!!! I would love if someone wrote a guide, but those that know how to do it usually do it for money, why give it away? It also requires VERY intimate knowledge of higher level math (for most). If excel is hard for you, if physics is hard for you, I recommend not to try to tune your engine unless the car is your toy, and you can afford to learn.
            TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

The [K_E/AVAN_OFFSET] values are offsets from factory? Is this an offset related to the trigger wheel on the back of the camshaft?

Comment

Old thread revival.

Would you mind helping me check my csl mss54hp converted ECU map to make sure my offsets are correct for standard EU M3 cams please?

Comment

Working...
                X