Need advice on INPA software and laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on INPA software and laptop

I started doing all my own work lately on my 2005 E46 M3. So far, so good!!

I have a bad right leg and need my SMG. Three pedals are not an option. I want to get into my SMG software to do some maintenance and improvements. Bleed things etc.

Pretty sure I need to get free IPNA software version 5.02 or 5.06. Does the software come on the CD with the cable?: INPA K+DCAN for BMW With FT232RQ Chip with Switch
    Should I buy this in the link below?
    http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/bm...32rq-chip.html

OR...should I get this from Amazon???

I want to buy a dedicated laptop. I always liked Windows 7. The Lenovo I am looking at is 64bit. is that OK? I was reading that 32bit was required? IDK.
    The Lap top below. Is this good for what I want to do?

Lenovo ThinkPad T410 Laptop 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM DVD-RW 128GB SSD Wifi
    • Core i5 M480 2.66 GHZ CPU
    • 128GB SSD
    • 4GB RAM
    • 14.1" screen
    • DVD-RW drive
    • working battery (no warranty on battery)
    • Onboard WiFi, LAN

Laptop has Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2007 loaded and activated, and includes power adapter.

Also Has SP 1 which is necessary, I think.

I dont care about HD size. I PREFER SSD-HD!
    And only $170 shipped. Should I buy this?
    Last edited by BigDave; 05-15-2020, 10:51 PM.

OK, I don't know a ton about this stuff but I asked a similar question a while back and the response was that it will run on basically any version of windows except probably 8, but we won't go there for obvious reasons.
    If you go to:

download the "standard tools" and follow the instructions for install, that is important.
    From what they say it will indeed run on windows 10.

My current "INPA Laptop" has Win 7 32bit, but again you don't need 32bit to run inpa.

In fact I might suggest you go 64bit because you will be able to utilize more memory in a 64 bit OS. No matter how much RAM you have, in a 32 bit OS only 2.55GB will be useable. That's fine for INPA, but later on down the road if you wanted to load something like DIS onto that laptop 2.55GB memory isn't ideal.

The laptop you described will work just fine, but I would go 64bit so you could run DIS better later on. But again I've got a laptop with win 7 32bit and thats my INPA and other random programs laptop.

If you want to run DIS you must check that the CPU is compatible with VMWARE and "virtualization". I found this out the hard way and now have two different laptops for the BMW, one for INPA and misc progs, then another for DIS.
    DIS install made easy:
    Do you want the easiest and most complete installation of the BMW dealer and factory diagnostic systems? Then checkout the pss-autosoft 'EasyInstall' system! All the software you need to get diagnosing and coding using the BMW EDIABAS and DIS v44, DIS v57 and SSS Progman!

Mario is awesome to work with!!

Also you need k+dcan cable with an FTDI chip in it I do believe. Bimmergeeks.com sells them, they are a bit more pricy, but they work.

One more thing, you must go into Device Manager in windows to properly configure your cable.
    Set it to COM1 (com3 is usually the default)
    Set Latency to 1

Correct if I'm wrong people, I don't know a great deal about this stuff, but I do have INPA running.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

I used this thing called Mike's BMW tools

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=879366

Paired with this cable

Follow Cubieman's advice to make sure you have the right COM port.

My INPA works fine, still working on getting NCS Expert to work
      '06 BMW M3 6MT Coupe - TiAg/Imola
      '99 BMW M3 5MT Coupe - Estoril/Dove
      '00 Honda Civic Si - Electron Blue Pearl/Black
      '11 Toyota Tacoma T/X TRD - Magnetic Grey/Grey

Instagram: @6spd_M3 | @midwesteuroparts

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
        OK, I don't know a ton about this stuff but I asked a similar question a while back and the response was that it will run on basically any version of windows except probably 8, but we won't go there for obvious reasons.
        If you go to:
        www.bimmergeeks.com
        download the "standard tools" and follow the instructions for install, that is important.
        From what they say it will indeed run on windows 10.

My current "INPA Laptop" has Win 7 32bit, but again you don't need 32bit to run inpa.

In fact I might suggest you go 64bit because you will be able to utilize more memory in a 64 bit OS. No matter how much RAM you have, in a 32 bit OS only 2.55GB will be useable. That's fine for INPA, but later on down the road if you wanted to load something like DIS onto that laptop 2.55GB memory isn't ideal.

The laptop you described will work just fine, but I would go 64bit so you could run DIS better later on. But again I've got a laptop with win 7 32bit and thats my INPA and other random programs laptop.

If you want to run DIS you must check that the CPU is compatible with VMWARE and "virtualization". I found this out the hard way and now have two different laptops for the BMW, one for INPA and misc progs, then another for DIS.
        DIS install made easy:
        Do you want the easiest and most complete installation of the BMW dealer and factory diagnostic systems? Then checkout the pss-autosoft 'EasyInstall' system! All the software you need to get diagnosing and coding using the BMW EDIABAS and DIS v44, DIS v57 and SSS Progman!

Mario is awesome to work with!!

Also you need k+dcan cable with an FTDI chip in it I do believe. Bimmergeeks.com sells them, they are a bit more pricy, but they work.

One more thing, you must go into Device Manager in windows to properly configure your cable.
        Set it to COM1 (com3 is usually the default)
        Set Latency to 1

Correct if I'm wrong people, I don't know a great deal about this stuff, but I do have INPA running.
        The Lenovo IS 64bit, so I think I will buy it. I read somewhere that this model with 4gigs of RAM and an Intel Core i5 processor would work fine. Will expanding it to 8G of RAM help any? It costs about $35 to do it
        Doesnt ISTA D & ISTA P supercede DIS?

I found Bimmergeeks.net
        BUT..... I am liking this bundle from the UK much better. More $$ but looks worth it. Anybody?? One click software on disks and their cables
        BCABLES

It looks MUCH easier to deal with for a guy who is not a true computer genius like me. Anybody? Take a look at my link. About 50USD shipped with tracking. Cable AND DVD software.

Then, again there is THIS:
        and THIS cable:

So confusing.
        Last edited by BigDave; 05-16-2020, 03:34 AM.

Comment

I think you will be fine either way, I got a cable that came with software but I saw a YouTube video once where the guy suggested that you do NOT use the software that is generally included with the cables, you ONLY use the driver for the cable.
          You can probably find it, I think I Googled "INPA install windows" and it was one the first ones, he will talk about bimmergeeks.com if it's the same one..
          This video was using bimmergeeks standard tools so that's what I did. I really don't know if it was right wrong or indifferent, but I know it works.
          That one click deal seems alright, so long as it works AND gets you DIS.
          I spent $25 on my cable and got INPA running for free, following the instructions from bimmergeeks dload, and it was very easy, tool about 10-15min and that was with me double checking/moving slow.
          But hey if that one click deal from the UK gets you your Cable/INPA/DIS easy installed for $50 that sounds good for people like us that aren't to confident just yet.
          And also that link I posted for pss autosoft (DIS) I can vouch is the real deal and Mario can remote install if you so choose. But give it a go yourself man, we gotta learn somehow, and with his detailed instructions its not too tough.
          I will say that I would suggest you "push" yourself out of your comfort zone as it my teach you a few computer related things that you may need to know in the future when interfacing with these cars.

ISTA from I understand needs a really expensive ($500-$700) ICOM cable to function however I see cheap one so I don't quite get that. The ICOM expense is what I believe makes people go with DIS instead of ISTA.

In either event 8GB would be better than 4, so do it. Youll be running DIS on a virtual machine so the program thinks it running on its native UNIX based machine that it would have been at the dealership. The virtual machine (vmware) just seems like it would take a bunch of memory to me after messing with it.

These are the cables I have:
          this one is a Kline so it ONLY works for engine fault codes, no other body modules can be read with a Kline (I think)
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KK...b_b_asin_title

I also have this cable that has the button to bridge or Unbridge pins 7/8:

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...eeks-pro-cable

If you want an EASY program to pull/clear codes and view/reset adaptations that doesn't require ANY setup whatsoever get the "DME utility" about 1/3 the way down on this link, and it's free.

Below is a list of downloads hosted by ECUWorx, the Binary Modification & Remap Tool will always be available from this page so be sure to grab the latest version from here. Recently Updated! – MSS65 / BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (exe) BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (zip) Recently Updated! – MSS60 / BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (exe) BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (zip) MSS6x Flasher

If you want to do some basic coding on the car also check out the DME binary modification tool. These are created by Martyn, a member here and a real nice dude.

Edit: also know if/when you get the bimmergeeks standard tools downloaded and installed (which again is very easy to install) you will have INPA, NCS, Edibias, tool32, winkfp etc.
          Last edited by Cubieman; 05-16-2020, 11:01 AM.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

I think you will be fine either way, I got a cable that came with software but I saw a YouTube video once where the guy suggested that you do NOT use the software that is generally included with the cables, you ONLY use the driver for the cable.
            You can probably find it, I think I Googled "INPA install windows" and it was one the first ones, he will talk about bimmergeeks.com if it's the same one..
            This video was using bimmergeeks standard tools so that's what I did. I really don't know if it was right wrong or indifferent, but I know it works.
            I spent $25 on my cable and got INPA running for free, following the instructions from bimmergeeks dload, and it was very easy, tool about 10-15min and that was with me double checking/moving slow.
            But hey if that one click deal from the UK gets you your Cable/INPA/DIS easy installed for $50 that sounds good for people like us that aren't to confident just yet.
            And also that link I posted for pss autosoft (DIS) I can vouch is the real deal and Mario can remote install if you so choose. But give it a go yourself man, we gotta learn somehow, and with his detailed instructions its not too tough.
            I will say that I would suggest you "push" yourself out of your comfort zone as it my teach you a few computer related things that you may need to know in the future when interfacing with these cars.

ISTA from I understand needs a really expensive ($500-$700) ICOM cable to function however I see cheap one so I don't quite get that. The ICOM expense is what I believe makes people go with DIS instead of ISTA.

In either event 8GB would be better than 4, so do it. Youll be running DIS on a virtual machine so the program thinks it running on its native UNIX based machine that it would have been at the dealership. The virtual machine (vmware) just seems like it would take a bunch of memory to me after messing with it.

this one is a Kline so it ONLY works for engine fault codes, no other body modules can be read with a Kline (I think)

If you want an EASY program to pull/clear codes and view/reset adaptations that doesn't require ANY setup whatsoever get the "DME utility" about 1/3 the way down on this link, and it's free.

Below is a list of downloads hosted by ECUWorx, the Binary Modification & Remap Tool will always be available from this page so be sure to grab the latest version from here. Recently Updated! – MSS65 / BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (exe) BMW E6x M5/M6 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.6.3 (zip) Recently Updated! – MSS60 / BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification & Remap Tool BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (exe) BMW E90/E92/E93 M3 Binary Modification Tool – Build 1.9.5 (zip) MSS6x Flasher

If you want to do some basic coding on the car also check out the DME binary modification tool. These are created by Martyn, a member here and a real nice dude.

Edit: also know if/when you get the bimmergeeks standard tools downloaded and installed (which again is very easy to install) you will have INPA, NCS, Edibias, tool32, winkfp etc.
            You wrote:" I will say that I would suggest you "push" yourself out of your comfort zone as it my teach you a few computer related things that you may need to know in the future when interfacing with these cars."

My answer: Oh, YES. I am very intimidated, but COMMITTED to push myself out of my comfort zone. I NEED to get deep in to my SMG coding for various reasons.
            Thank you everyone for your replys. The Ebay seller of that Lenova turns out to be a disabled vet who refurbishes laptops for a living. I spoke at length with him. While he is no BMW software expert, he offered me unlimited support in the future for the Lenovo I bought from him. He said he downloaded every possible updates to Windows 7 ultimate. I will continue to get security updates but no other updates because Microsoft has stopped supporting Win 7. Thats fine with me.
            I will enlist his help upgrading the RAM to 8GB.

IDK which direction I will go. I am leaning heavily towards BCABLES

I will come back here and let everyone know. Give a review, etc. I am worried AND excited at the same time. I DO NOT WANT TO BRICK my DME!! LOL
            Nobody does.
            I will get my refurbished Win 7 ultimate Lenovo T410 tomorrow.

Lenovo ThinkPad T410 Laptop 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM DVD-RW 128GB SSD Wifi
            • Core i5 M480 2.66 GHZ CPU
            • 128GB SSD
            • 4GB RAM
            • 14.1" screen
            • DVD-RW drive
            • working battery (no warranty on battery)
            • Onboard WiFi, LAN

Laptop has Windows 7 Ultimate and Office 2007 loaded and activated, and includes power adapter.

Comment

Why do I even WANT DIS?? What advantage does that have over INPA? I will only be using the software on one car, my 2005 E46 M3 cab with SMG2.

Comment

DIS has some useful functions. Notably VANOS test and abs bleeding routines.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  DIS has some useful functions. Notably VANOS test and abs bleeding routines.
                  Is there a difference between bleeding abs with DIS vs INPA?
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post

Paired with this cable

That's a great find, thank you

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                    2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Originally posted by Titaniu//M View Post

Paired with this cable

fyi, mikes bmw tools work great for our cars but the moment you get into newer E-models (e.g. e9x) it starts to act up. i had mikes and had to install the standard install and it was just as easy and fixed all my errors
                      keep in mind that mike built into his own installer package but the standard installer isn't that bad either.

the only thing i *needed* mikes installer for was that it had an old version of INPA which was the only version that allowed for re-calibration when the ABS pump was replaced. the newer version of INPA doesn't give the option to re-calibrate.
                      '06 Carbon Black
                      Sabelt, Brey Krause, MCS 2-way, SuperSprint, Karbonius, Epic, Volk

Comment

I've been using this for two years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KK0M5CK...p_mob_ap_share

INPA works off of it. I just wish it wasn't half German. I've flashed my car a few times and it all works with Windows 10. That was main reason I got it. Microsoft forced my laptop into Windows 10 one day.

And for what'l it's worth, I've left the cable in my car during the Florida summer with it still functioning fine.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                        X