CSL Oil level readout displays Negative value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Oil level readout displays Negative value

i have a converted HP DME. non HP converted to HP with H bridge. not sure this matters but just throwing this out there.

i am running the CSL software and using the CSL oil level read out in the cluster.

its been a few years since i bad this on my last car but now when i le the engine at operating temp sit for 2 min... i press the sport button and hold and see the oil level flash in the cluster but the value shows me "- 0.2 L"

anyone ever seen this before? i cant remember if this was normal or not and didn't find much in google searching on other forums.

oil level is normal on the dip stick (CSL dip stick), shows right in the middle of the low and top lines on the stick on a warm engine. i filled my engine with 6 liters of oil for my first oil fill up since it was a completely empty engine after the fresh build with an empty oil cooler and empty lines etc...

maybe i need to add more oil?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	88
Size:	680.9 KB
ID:	260239

0.2L below minimum level. It is best to take a reading after a long drive. Rely on the dipstick reading till then. If the reading does not change, the sensor might be going bad.

Comment

IIRC the hold down sport button check is the instant check mode, which is less accurate than the fully calibrated mode (what it just says in the display if you scroll to it).

... pretty hard for the dip stick to give you wrong results. I think you can count on that. One of the worst things about my e60 M-- if the display says low oil, who knows if it's true? After an oil change, you have to get it up to temp before being able to check the level.

Dumb.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        IIRC the hold down sport button check is the instant check mode, which is less accurate than the fully calibrated mode (what it just says in the display if you scroll to it).

... pretty hard for the dip stick to give you wrong results. I think you can count on that. One of the worst things about my e60 M-- if the display says low oil, who knows if it's true? After an oil change, you have to get it up to temp before being able to check the level.

Dumb.
        One thing that was slightly confusing to me is that I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was a difference in oil readout on the dipstick between the CSL dipstick and the non- CSL dipstick, but I can't find that source where I read that at. It was just something I found through Google searching.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

One thing that was slightly confusing to me is that I could have sworn I read somewhere that there was a difference in oil readout on the dipstick between the CSL dipstick and the non- CSL dipstick, but I can't find that source where I read that at. It was just something I found through Google searching.
          There is. But, the yellow oil light is also calibrated differently on CSL vs non-CSL software (K_TOG_VL, K_TOG_VB1, K_TOG_VB2 if you want to go looking for the differences) to match.

Here's the dipstick differences: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...7267#post97267
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
          X