Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rev limiter change in BIN does not change the engine's RPM limit - engine mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rev limiter change in BIN does not change the engine's RPM limit - engine mode?

I have an S54 swapped into a non-E46 chassis, running on a 1501 (non-HP) MSS54 DME, and I have changed the RPM limit in two places - the dyno mode parameter, and the engine speed per gear table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	203
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	264451

I also opened the file in ECUWorx binary modification tool, and both fields confirm the same value as in TunerPro.

However, when I drive the car, the rev limiter does not occur at this RPM.

Is there another location where the rev limiter is stored?

Is it possible that the DME is actually in some other mode (a limp mode?) where because of something about the clutch switch, gear position switch, or speed sensor, it is using a different set of maps/tables?
    Attached Files

at which engine speed is the limit currently?

Comment

Actually turned down from stock:
      Dyno limit = 7600
      All 8 cells in the X/Y table set to 7600

Comment

Ok, shall be more clear,
        To which set point did you adjust the limiter (->7600) and to which point do you hit the actual limiter? Do you have logs? or only observation from the tacho?

Comment

Also interesting in which mode do you run your mss54, developing mode? E36 chassis mode (z3m with speed from diff)? Did you calculated your gear ratios with diff and tyres correct?

"rev limited not occur at this point"? Where is the limiter exactly (in log, not on cluster)

we need more precise informations to help...
          …under construction.

Comment

Thank you for the helpful questions!

To which set point did you adjust the limiter
            All values set to 7600.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	228.6 KB ID:	264795

which point do you hit the actual limiter?
            Have not hit it - the dashboard shift lights come on and I upshift somewhere before 8000rpm, but in reviewing data, I realized the RPM is sometimes exceeding 7600rpm.

Do you have logs? or only observation from the tacho?
            The logs are from an AiM data system, which is reading the RPM over CAN. No datalogs directly from MSS54, though.

in which mode do you run your mss54, developing mode? E36 chassis mode (z3m with speed from diff)?
            I am not familiar with these modes. This is a very basic modified BIN file. Can you point me to more documentation about the modes?

Did you calculated your gear ratios with diff and tyres correct?
            100% definitely not. The MSS54 is not getting any road speed signal from a VR sensor in the differential or from the Mk60 ABS. I have all DTCs from 130 to 135 "patched" in XDF (DTC disabled). DTC 42 is also patched/disabled.
            Last edited by Sandman; 05-14-2024, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I assume you did flash the modified file back to the ECU right? From my experience it should work like you have done it.

Comment

I checked that by reading the 32kb file back from the DME and checking those parameters again - all there.

I am starting to wonder if it is related to having a bad configuration of road speed signal and clutch switch/gear position, defaulting to some map that is just for a stationary car (so not quite the same as dyno mode).
                Last edited by Sandman; 05-20-2024, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X