Where it all began M3 CSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where it all began M3 CSL

A little while back I got the opportunity to inspect and look through this and I thought it’d be nice to share and show where it all began. I am sure this isn’t likely the only one but one of many used during development.

I can tell you that BMW and Siemens did a lot of fine tuning of the engine management system for this car from all the AIF entries.

The board is neither a MSS54 nor MSS54HP but sort of a hybrid of the two.

Interestingly BMW also disabled DTC 151 during development and they did it via simply zeroing out the last byte instead of the full string as a DTC suppression strategy.

Additionally it contained BDM ports and another port to access the main CPU I presume.

Very cool as what we are seeing now from the HP conversions and knowledge built up over this dme wasn’t actually too different to what BMW originally did.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4AAEE473-E62E-4881-B6F5-CF7953085EEA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	33071
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2E4F18A0-EFF2-453F-9F16-84018C2130BF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	123.3 KB ID:	33073
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NZ_M3; 06-10-2020, 04:14 AM.

Nice, so you are saying this was a development board?

Comment

That's really cool. Is this board basically just an MSS54 with the HP EEPROMs and H bridge?
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I opened today a MSS54, that has also BDM port’s soldered. It has a very strange Vin, build early 2000 and has 211322000901 software on it (I don‘t think someone bdm‘d this old software on it, because it‘s not available public). Which seems to be a very early (pre series?) software, that I can‘t find anywhere.
        Last edited by S54B32; 04-10-2021, 02:16 AM.
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
          I opened today a MSS54, that has also BDM port’s soldered. It has a very strange Vin, build early 2000 and has 211322000901 software on it (I don‘t think someone bdm‘d this old software on it, because it‘s not available public). Which seems to be a very early (pre series?) software, that I can‘t find anywhere.
          0901 was from part of the A2L pack that contained left and right side chip read out, so nothing special. It has been around for a while and was what was used to build the original Tunerpro xdf files. Someone must have BDM'd the files on this DME - actually I can do it also as I have those files.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post

0901 was from part of the A2L pack that contained left and right side chip read out, so nothing special. It has been around for a while and was what was used to build the original Tunerpro xdf files. Someone must have BDM'd the files on this DME - actually I can do it also as I have those files.
            Thanks for the info! Yes, then it’s nothing special.
            I didn‘t find any further infos, definitions or readout from 0901, maybe Info was only present on old forum.
            …under construction.

Comment

I didn‘t find any further infos, definitions or readout from 0901, maybe Info was only present on old forum.
              Here is the "Galleto format" 0901 binary that we are used to reading along with A2L file:
              MSS54 and MSS54HP XDFs . Contribute to saildot4k/MSS54-XDFs development by creating an account on GitHub.

TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

As far as I'm aware the program code for that has never been publicly uploaded, so a full dump would still be useful if you haven't updated it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

As far as I'm aware the program code for that has never been publicly uploaded, so a full dump would still be useful if you haven't updated it yet.
                  I’ll flash it on a dme first to check that it works.

I have it as a left and right side chip file so I am not sure which is which.

Comment

I still have the Eeproms with 0901 on it, so i could put them in eeprom reader if some need it.
                    But here is the full K-line read, that i made before desoldering. Look stocks to me, but can not verify this.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by S54B32; 04-14-2021, 12:10 PM.
                    …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                    X