CSL Tune with EKP Fuel Pump Relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Tune with EKP Fuel Pump Relay?

So in my car which was originally a non M I used PIN 10 already on x60004 for the fuel pump relay (thats how it is on non M) and since the CSL tune already uses PIN 10 for the euro Fuel pump trigger i was already set at that point.

what are you guys that are m3 originally with EKP relays on PIN11 x60002 doing? do you leave it alone or are you switching to the euro fuel pump output?

does it even matter?

buddy of mine did a CSL airbox conversion and i never checked codes before but after putting in a DME with the CSL tune, the only error that came up was 01 [001] Fuel Pump relay

and i thought to myself, his car has EKP on pin 11 60002 but the CSL software is looking for fuel pump feedback on x60004 pin 10 right?

i never see anyone mention fuel pump pinouts when switching to CSL tunes with their airboxes so thats why i was curious what everyone else experience was with this.

I'm running a CSL tune on my M3 and didn't have to change anything with the fuel pump. Don't have any codes either.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      I'm running a CSL tune on my M3 and didn't have to change anything with the fuel pump. Don't have any codes either.
      yeah it's so strange we've changed the EKP module and the actual fuel pump relay next to it both with brand new ones from ECS.. the DME continually says fuel pump relay error code..

I've tried switching the fuel pump black with the purple stripe wire and it doesn't matter if I put it in pin 11 on X 60002 or pin 10 x60004

The error continues to appear even though it doesn't trigger a check engine light.

Comment

You don't have to change any pinouts when swapping to CSL tune, however the EKP module provides variable voltage signal to the fuel pump, controlled by the electric pump duty cycle map in the tune. Your current wiring may not support a cycled relay nor signal from the DME.

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
          You don't have to change any pinouts when swapping to CSL tune, however the EKP module provides variable voltage signal to the fuel pump, controlled by the electric pump duty cycle map in the tune. Your current wiring may not support a cycled relay nor signal from the DME.
          My friend has a 2003 E46 m3 that has the stock EKP and relay..we replaced both and regardless where I have the black purple fuel pump wire pinned, it continually displays fuel pump relay error. Not a hard CEL but it shows as a shadow code every time in PASoft when i scan the DME for dtc codes

He's running the same CSL tune that so many other people here are running so makes no sense why his car gets that code and No one else is getting that code.

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

My friend has a 2003 E46 m3 that has the stock EKP and relay..we replaced both and regardless where I have the black purple fuel pump wire pinned, it continually displays fuel pump relay error. Not a hard CEL but it shows as a shadow code every time in PASoft when i scan the DME for dtc codes

He's running the same CSL tune that so many other people here are running so makes no sense why his car gets that code and No one else is getting that code.
            Yeah, I just never heard anyone having to repin their relay harness when going to CSL tune. BTW, the relay next to the EKP is for the rear window defrost.

Comment

Yeah, I just never heard anyone having to repin their relay harness when going to CSL tune. BTW, the relay next to the EKP is for the rear window defrost.
              ahhh ok so do the US cars have the EKP Module AND a fuel pump relay? or is the EKP module the relay as well?

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post

ahhh ok so do the US cars have the EKP Module AND a fuel pump relay? or is the EKP module the relay as well?
                US modules use the EKP as t he fuel pump relay. It works fine with the CSL software without any rewiring.

Comment

I have a US m3 here and was wondering why it has a green relay in the same location as my euro M3 has it's fuel pump relais K96 (inside the DME box). But also a EKP relay in the trunk. As i only know euro cars, i was wondering why both are present. In TIS / WDS i only see K96 in the DME box for euro cars OR K96 in the trunk for US cars. But not both.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, before i follow up the cables.

Edit: Maybe also interesting is, why bmw choose a pwm controlled fuel pump for US cars instead like euro cars only simple on/off.
                  Last edited by S54B32; 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM.
                  …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                    I have a US m3 here and was wondering why it has a green relay in the same location as my euro M3 has it's fuel pump relais K96 (inside the DME box). But also a EKP relay in the trunk. As i only know euro cars, i was wondering why both are present. In TIS / WDS i only see K96 in the DME box for euro cars OR K96 in the trunk for US cars. But not both.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, before i follow up the cables.

Edit: Maybe also interesting is, why bmw choose a pwm controlled fuel pump for US cars instead like euro cars only simple on/off.
                    On US versions the green relay in the DME box is for the fuel injectors (see pic below). The DME cycles the voltage between 0-120 Hz and is programmed to operate at low speeds during idle and cruise, however you'll get the full 12v at start-up (prime) and at full loads. I imagine this is more a strategy to support US emissions standards as opposed to EU standards (which I know nothing about 😀).

Click image for larger version

Name:	FI_Relay.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	120595

Comment

On US versions the green relay in the DME box is for the fuel injectors (see pic below). The DME cycles the voltage between 0-120 Hz and is programmed to operate at low speeds during idle and cruise, however you'll get the full 12v at start-up (prime) and at full loads. I imagine this is more a strategy to support US emissions standards as opposed to EU standards (which I know nothing about 😀).

Click image for larger version

Name:	FI_Relay.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	120595
                      Thanks for the info!

I‘m tracing down a issue where this US car need EXACLTY 2 cranks to start when sitting for a few hours or over night. No more, no less.
                      And on ignition on, I don‘t hear priming like on my EU spec. So my idea was the fuel relay. US relay cost over 100 bucks, so changing to standard relay should be easy, because EU fuel
                      relay output is active on my US spec sw. And on the relay it’s only 1 pin to change for a much much cheaper and more common relay!

but I will do some measuring when I got time for this car and report back. So that if some has the similar issue, I can give a idea where to search.

EU standards (EU3/EU4) are much lower than California standards, so we get better flowing cats, CSL‘s etc. The main point on passing the emissionstandards from this time around 1998-2008 is the SAP.

…under construction.

Comment

Yeah, that EKP relay is ridiculously priced.

I totally forgot about the Euro set-up! You know us U.S. guys have catalytic converters for merge collectors on the headers. Probably another reason why the fuel pump is regulated @ idle and cruise; keep from burning them out and stinking-up the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This issue driving me crazy!

06 M3, stock US tune in Stock US car. When cold I have to crank for a second or half of a second and then EVERYTIME it fires up on the second turn. A bit lumpy idle on cold start and after cold start sequence it runs like nothings wrong.. sadly EKP relay is not that easy to get in germany and very expensive here.

The dme don‘t send a signal to the EKP relay to prime, i confirmed that with an oscilloscope. Only when the engine is running or cranking it activates the EKP. And I can also activate EKP with Inpa.

Is there anything that stops the dme to prime?
                          Maybe someone has a idea…

…under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                            This issue driving me crazy!

06 M3, stock US tune in Stock US car. When cold I have to crank for a second or half of a second and then EVERYTIME it fires up on the second turn. A bit lumpy idle on cold start and after cold start sequence it runs like nothings wrong.. sadly EKP relay is not that easy to get in germany and very expensive here.

The dme don‘t send a signal to the EKP relay to prime, i confirmed that with an oscilloscope. Only when the engine is running or cranking it activates the EKP. And I can also activate EKP with Inpa.

Is there anything that stops the dme to prime?
                            Maybe someone has a idea…
                            That sounds like a fuel pump issue.

Seems like the check valve in the pump is not working.

Manually install one or change the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post

That sounds like a fuel pump issue.

Seems like the check valve in the pump is not working.

Manually install one or change the pump.
                              Yes I know it can back bleed through a not working check valve.
                              But the problem is not the pump, it’s the signal from dme that’s missing…It does working normal with running engine or with manual inpa activation…
                              …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X