Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Airbox/Management Ignition retard

Hello,

I´m currently running a Karbonius Box with 0401 CSL software. Have done some basic logging and waiting in the moment for my new wideband lambda for accurate AFR logging.
    While logging, i found out that the original CSL IAT sensor get massive heatsoaked and read at 20°C ambient temp 50-55°C IATs even at high speeds. And ignition is retarded up to 10° from programmed values.

Have someone here logged his engine after MSS54HP MAP conversion with IAT in OEM position? Maybe can someone provide his logs?

I think the best way, is to relocate the IAT or maybe reduce the IAT ignition retard factor (not have found the right scalar yet, really hard to find out without the funktionsrahmen/ECU definition document)

Best regards,
    …under construction.

I'm running Turner box with 0401 CSL software and IAT in OEM position. I have been logging IAT temps for the past week in various conditions.

When driving hard ( 5k-8k+ rpm) at speeds above 50 mph IAT temps are within 10% of the ambient reading.
    When driving normal temps will spike when idling/cruising at low speeds and will read around 20-30% above ambient.
    At a stop, temps will peak. 40-50% above ambient.

The main takeaway was that the IAT functions properly in the OEM location when it counts.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
      Hello,

I´m currently running a Karbonius Box with 0401 CSL software. Have done some basic logging and waiting in the moment for my new wideband lambda for accurate AFR logging.
      While logging, i found out that the original CSL IAT sensor get massive heatsoaked and read at 20°C ambient temp 50-55°C IATs even at high speeds. And ignition is retarded up to 10° from programmed values.

Have someone here logged his engine after MSS54HP MAP conversion with IAT in OEM position? Maybe can someone provide his logs?

I think the best way, is to relocate the IAT or maybe reduce the IAT ignition retard factor (not have found the right scalar yet, really hard to find out without the funktionsrahmen/ECU definition document)

Best regards,
      When your engine is cold, do your IAT and the ambient temp are the same ?
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MpowerE36 View Post

When your engine is cold, do your IAT and the ambient temp are the same ?
          Yes, my values are the same on cold engine. It‘s a Brand new Sensor, with the correct setting (CSL Sensor / Standard CSL IAT scale)

Here is a examble from my logs, as you Can see ~20-21° ignition is not very much for WOT and 22°C ambient temp.

…under construction.

Comment

Here two WOT logs with a CSL airbox and a CSL OEM IAT sensor at the same location as the true CSL airbox. Ambient temperature was 32°C. It is logs of an E85 conversion but you can see the values of the IAT. The difference of 30°C between ambient temperature and your IAT values is very surprising. Your log was not done just after a long stop, right ?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IAT.png Views:	0 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	35960 Click image for larger version  Name:	RPM.png Views:	0 Size:	19.8 KB ID:	35961 Click image for larger version  Name:	Ignition.png Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	35962
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MpowerE36; 06-19-2020, 11:28 AM.
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwN...zf45mXp6PDOCzA

Comment

I can confirm S54B32 logs, as my OEM IAT sensor reports the same values, even at 100kph on the highway.
              But a test with the sensor replaced showed that the higher reading is only responsible for approx. 1 deg. retard.
              The rest, like my engine too, is from the missing camshafts.. my engine is retarding about 6 degrees at ~4750rpm.

Comment

I located mine to the charge pipe, 1 inch above the hole opening (placed a second sensor in the OEM spot to plug the hole). Temps are 1 degree ambient at all times.
                Attached Files

Comment

MpowerE36 Thank you for your Logs!
                  My Logs are made on the german Autobahn. So no stop or anything, just warm up the car and then 5-8 WOT logs. In the last days i checked after parking the car the IAT with my fingertip. Very hot, for a temp sensor. Even with big Spal fan on 100% duty cycle, the heatsoak from the sensor is high.

I think i will testtry the relocation for logging.

Chris_de : per my knowledge the Ecu retards timing if a knock occurs or as compensation for high IATs. And i don‘t believe that with stock cams the AFR is THAT rich, that a rich knock occur. But will do more logging with a broadband lambda and knock analyser if it arrives.

maybe some Pro‘s(terra orpaulclaude)can chime in and share a bit of there knowledge about ignition retarding on mss54s/CSL Software.

best regards,
                  …under construction.

Comment

The CSL has tables to offset the heatsoak of the IAT sensor

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post
                      The CSL has tables to offset the heatsoak of the IAT sensor
                      Do you know the offset in 0401 Software? I assume that it’s a table with IAT vs rpm = ignition retard?
                      …under construction.

Comment

I had the same issue with the oem csl IAT and I went with 0 280 130 060 sensor is working 10 times better

Comment

Originally posted by And1m3 View Post
                          I had the same issue with the oem csl IAT and I went with 0 280 130 060 sensor is working 10 times better
                          Where is that part normally used, on a different vehicle?

Did you fit it in the same position as the CSL IAT sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by ac427 View Post

Where is that part normally used, on a different vehicle?

Did you fit it in the same position as the CSL IAT sensor?
                            Its from e36 basically and it was located at the side of the air filter housing.
                            I have it at the front part of the airbox.i have the pipe from the bumper and the cold air is directly on the sensor so I don't have heatsoak.

Comment

No one here who knows why the Mss54HP retards timing beside knock or IAT?
                              …under construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X