MAP sensor problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAP sensor problem?

I recently installed an Evolve CSL airbox in my 2004 M3. I'm using the Kassel MAP sensor conversion kit and the Turner IAT relocation kit. I plugged the MAP sensor signal wire into the open DME pin 18. I spliced the ground wire into the pin 17 wire and the voltage wire into the pin 7 wire. I've doubled checked the wires to make sure they were all connected correctly. I've got approximately 4 to 5 volts coming in and out of the MAP sensor. Also have power at the plug end of the MAP signal wire so I'm assuming my MAP sensor and wiring are working correctly.

I've installed two TTFS tunes which the car definitely didn't like and hopefully will be working with them again this week on a revised tune. Had significant misfires under acceleration. Using Testo the IAT sensor is being read but not the MAP sensor. Testo shows 0 for both voltage and pressure. I'm a newb when it comes to tuning and these kind of things but I'm assuming that Testo not showing a MAP signal is at least part of my problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How does it run on the stock CSL tune? And ditch TTFS. There are far better S54 tuners and some of them are here on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      How does it run on the stock CSL tune? And ditch TTFS. There are far better S54 tuners and some of them are here on the forum.
      Don't know what you mean by the stock CSL tune. The two tunes I tried were remote tunes provided by TTFS. They initially tuned the car on the dyno last year before I put the new airbox in. The car ran good on that tune so I went back to them for the retune. I'm not ready to pull the plug on them yet but we'll see after this week.

Comment

Originally posted by boadly View Post

Don't know what you mean by the stock CSL tune. The two tunes I tried were remote tunes provided by TTFS. They initially tuned the car on the dyno last year before I put the new airbox in. The car ran good on that tune so I went back to them for the retune. I'm not ready to pull the plug on them yet but we'll see after this week.
        The completely factory CSL tune with adjustment for the cams you have and without any TTFS modifications. Then see if the misfires continue.

Comment

Sounds like TTFS did something incorrectly. Second the idea of trying the stock CSL tune.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

sounds a bit of i've experienced. a few questions/ideas to think about

- what type of DME do you have? is it a MSS54HP? you can find out by pulling the DME and checking the sticker applied to it.
            - what DME firmware are you on? you can pull your full/partial bins with MSS Flasher then read it with the MSS Binary tool.
            - what type of tune was the TTFS? was it for the CSL hardware you currently have on or a previous hardware configuration.
            - do you plan on going with an Alpha-N or MAP tune with your new hardware?
            - my MAP sensor didn't read a value or was even able to be activated until I upgraded to a CSL firmware on my DME. you might be experiencing the same thing which leads me to guess you're still on a non-CSL firmware.

best of luck, this is the most frustrating part of the journey
            2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
            2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

The completely factory CSL tune with adjustment for the cams you have and without any TTFS modifications. Then see if the misfires continue.
              The car has stock cams, Euro headers and don't know if tunes get this specific but it has the Bimmerworld 3.5 inch race exhaust. Where would I get the factory CSL tune?

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

- what type of DME do you have? is it a MSS54HP? you can find out by pulling the DME and checking the sticker applied to it.
                - what DME firmware are you on? you can pull your full/partial bins with MSS Flasher then read it with the MSS Binary tool.
                - what type of tune was the TTFS? was it for the CSL hardware you currently have on or a previous hardware configuration.
                - do you plan on going with an Alpha-N or MAP tune with your new hardware?
                - my MAP sensor didn't read a value or was even able to be activated until I upgraded to a CSL firmware on my DME. you might be experiencing the same thing which leads me to guess you're still on a non-CSL firmware.

MSS54HP
                Don't know what firmware its on. It was previously tuned by TTFS before recently installing the new airbox
                The tune was supposed to be for the current hadware, new IAT and MAP sensor
                MAP tune or whatever you call it as I now have a MAP sensor
                That's kind of what I was getting at. So Testo won't read the MAP sensor unless the tune has a CSL firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by boadly View Post

The car has stock cams, Euro headers and don't know if tunes get this specific but it has the Bimmerworld 3.5 inch race exhaust. Where would I get the factory CSL tune?
                  Here: http://www.msstuning.com/mssflasher.html

If you are not familiar with flashing firmware etc., Paul Claude can set everything up and he has a pre-calibrated tune for your setup - airbox + euro headers:

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

It's frustrating to me, to still see how much *confusion* and mis-information circulates about properly getting the Carbon Air-Boxes to function.
                    If not for this - I surely would have jumped in on the fun. Undoubtably one of the sought after mods for the platform. But yet, nobody has seemed to get this
                    running foolproof/ and plug and play to this day?

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post

It's frustrating to me, to still see how much *confusion* and mis-information circulates about properly getting the Carbon Air-Boxes to function.
                      If not for this - I surely would have jumped in on the fun. Undoubtably one of the sought after mods for the platform. But yet, nobody has seemed to get this
                      Here’s the simple solution to solve the confusion for those having an issue on a TTFS tune: Walk away from the money you spent and get it fixed by someone else. In my case, It was Paul Claude. My conversion went from running like shite, and there is nothing more we can do according to TTFS, to running perfectly after Paul’s base tune and then a few revisions.

I’m not trying to start a bash TTFS thread; this was my experience. I realize others have had no issues with them, but I was ready to give up on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by ChipperM3 View Post

Here’s the simple solution to solve the confusion for those having an issue on a TTFS tune: Walk away from the money you spent and get it fixed by someone else. In my case, It was Paul Claude. My conversion went from running like shite, and there is nothing more we can do according to TTFS, to running perfectly after Paul’s base tune and then a few revisions.

I’m not trying to start a bash TTFS thread; this was my experience. I realize others have had no issues with them, but I was ready to give up on mine.
                        My comment wasn’t directed at anyone specific. I simply meant the ENTIRE Carbon airbox theme. All gets mucked up, and convoluted with how to get it to work properly. At least that’s been my perception, after speaking with many owners & reading a bulk of the threads on m3F. I do agree with you on the later, that I’ve always read positives with regards to PC. And hasn’t claimed any engines from what I know lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my eyes, a carbon airbox conversion is basically as straight forward as any other mod. Especially now that people have made modified versions of the CSL software that can be flashed through the OBD II port without even having to remove the DME from the car (caveat here is that you need an HP DME).

The process is basically this:
                          • Install airbox.
                          • Install and wire MAP and IAT sensors.
                          • Flash modified CSL software using MSSFlasher (or flash regular CSL software via BDM if you want to convert the boot sector too).
                          • Modify two values in your tune to adjust VANOS offsets so that the tune works well with your cams.
                          • Go to the dyno and get everything dialed in for your specific setup by your tuner of choice.
                          I think the confusion stems from the fact that there are a couple ways to go about the conversion (alpha-n or MAP), but if you stick to the way that BMW did it (so that your car will run with the stock CSL software), it really is no big deal at all.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

In my eyes, a carbon airbox conversion is basically as straight forward as any other mod. Especially now that people have made modified versions of the CSL software that can be flashed through the OBD II port without even having to remove the DME from the car (caveat here is that you need an HP DME).

The process is basically this:
                            • Install airbox.
                            • Install and wire MAP and IAT sensors.
                            • Flash modified CSL software using MSSFlasher (or flash regular CSL software via BDM if you want to convert the boot sector too).
                            • Modify two values in your tune to adjust VANOS offsets so that the tune works well with your cams.
                            • Go to the dyno and get everything dialed in for your specific setup by your tuner of choice.
                            I think the confusion stems from the fact that there are a couple ways to go about the conversion (alpha-n or MAP), but if you stick to the way that BMW did it (so that your car will run with the stock CSL software), it really is no big deal at all.
                            Very helpful, thank you for the explanation Heinz. Does it make more sense using your own HP Dme, or finding a spare?
                            MAP Sensors; is Kassel the only one offering? You haven't listed your tuner (not crucial) - but will go on a Wim and say PC?

Side note: 1 thing that bugs me - is not having a functional FLAP ( IE; Heatsoak, etc) Just doesn't feel complete w/o this to me.
                            But, maybe thats nitpicking, what do you think? OR is the most proven (DYNO) setup on how to run the Airbox.

Comment

Very helpful, thank you for the explanation Heinz. Does it make more sense using your own HP Dme, or finding a spare?
                              MAP Sensors; is Kassel the only one offering? You haven't listed your tuner (not crucial) - but will go on a Wim and say PC?

Side note: 1 thing that bugs me - is not having a functional FLAP ( IE; Heatsoak, etc) Just doesn't feel complete w/o this to me.
                              But, maybe thats nitpicking, what do you think? OR is the most proven (DYNO) setup on how to run the Airbox.
                              I would just reuse your DME, flashing back to stock software is as easy as flashing to CSL software. Kassel has a MAP kit (which is what I have on my car), but there are a couple other options, including sourcing the CSL rail or tapping into the brake booster line with an adapter for the sensor. I'm currently running the stock CSL tune and the car runs fine. Waiting to wrap up a couple other projects before putting it on the dyno.

I personally don't have a flap, but if you want to run one the only thing you have to do is solder a component onto your DME and wire in the flap. Pads are already there for it and it will work out of the box with the CSL tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X