CSL Airbox Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL Airbox Hesitation

I vaguely remember there was a discussion on M3F about low RPM hesitations with CSL Airboxed cars. If I remember correctly cars that are not running a flap, need to have the flap values set to always open correct? If not, the DME is expecting flap operation when their is not one present.

I'm trying to solve an issue in my comfort tune when getting on the gas below 3000 RPM, it almost feels like there is a half a second delay before the power comes on. Driving the car in sport (with throttle mapping kept consistent) the car feels much smoother and my best guess is this has to do with the flap settings (which are untouched with my tune currently).

Whats your setup?
    • 2006 AW/IR Manual
    • Karbonius Race / Alpha- N
    • Supersprint
    • KW V3
    • 996 Brembo
    • ZCP / PSS

Comment

US Spec S54
      Stock Cams
      Turner CSL Airbox + Kassel Map sensor / Turner IAT
      OE CSL tune with US cam offsets

SGT Headers
      CPI Euro 200R section 1
      OE section 2
      SCZA

Comment

You have the correct IAT scaling?
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

i had hesitation while running on a non CSL DME. if you got on the gas in a gear where the rpm's were below 3500, it would bog down.

i'm now on the CSL firmware and i haven't had the same issues for some odd reason. i haven't been able to figure out why it appears to perform better now.
          2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
          2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
            i had hesitation while running on a non CSL DME. if you got on the gas in a gear where the rpm's were below 3500, it would bog down.

i'm now on the CSL firmware and i haven't had the same issues for some odd reason. i haven't been able to figure out why it appears to perform better now.
            How were you running the airbox without the csl firmware before?

Comment

Commonly this issue is down to over-rich AFR's and can be fixed through correct tuning. If you are running stock CSL software AFR's will more than likely be far from optimal for an S54 with stock cams.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post

How were you running the airbox without the csl firmware before?
                Alpha N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alpha N

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  And you're still running Alpha N now without the hesitation issue? That's interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post

And you're still running Alpha N now without the hesitation issue? That's interesting.
                    Yeah very... Only change is the csl firmware. I haven't been able to figure it out.

Comment

Yeah very... Only change is the csl firmware. I haven't been able to figure it out.
                      I thought you were running a MAP sensor?
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Alright, just got the Turner airbox installed and running alphaN tune. I have a hesitation that occurs when I want to downshift rev-match, where I clutch-in, stab the throttle, and then the car sounds like to struggles to raise the rpm unless you hold the gas down for 1 second then it finally blips. Typically occurs after you coast for a few seconds before downshifting.

I recall reading about this on the old m3forum csl airbox hesitation thread. So I wonder if it was ever resolved or just a normal behavior or a MAF-less setup with a large plenum opening?

Please share your knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by dl.m3 View Post
                          Alright, just got the Turner airbox installed and running alphaN tune. I have a hesitation that occurs when I want to downshift rev-match, where I clutch-in, stab the throttle, and then the car sounds like to struggles to raise the rpm unless you hold the gas down for 1 second then it finally blips. Typically occurs after you coast for a few seconds before downshifting.

I recall reading about this on the old m3forum csl airbox hesitation thread. So I wonder if it was ever resolved or just a normal behavior or a MAF-less setup with a large plenum opening?

Please share your knowledge.
                          Yup, I have driven two cars with the exact same issue you are describing, one with a TTFS alpha-N tune and one with the stock tune but MAF-less. After upgrading both cars to MSS54HP DMEs with CSL tune, the issue was resolved. The MAP sensor is fairly cheap and worth doing, but I guess you could try it without first to see how it responds, then add it later.

Comment

I still get hesitation running the full CSL software on an MSS54HP and using a MAP sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Yup, I have driven two cars with the exact same issue you are describing, one with a TTFS alpha-N tune and one with the stock tune but MAF-less. After upgrading both cars to MSS54HP DMEs with CSL tune, the issue was resolved. The MAP sensor is fairly cheap and worth doing, but I guess you could try it without first to see how it responds, then add it later.
                              I think the MAP sensor might be what I'm lacking and causing the ECU to be confused during vacuum. Or maybe this is fixable somehow in the alpha-n tune.

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                              I still get hesitation running the full CSL software on an MSS54HP and using a MAP sensor.
                              The kind I described or a different scenario? I was thinking of going MSS54HP and running CSL (instead of alpha N), the MAP sensor might fix my hesitation which occurs during vacuum (engine braking/coasting) and then on the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                              X