Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INPA connection troubleshooting - error IFH-9000

Hey guys!

I've got some dashboard lights I'm trying to understand, which led me to get INPA. After installing everything, I can read engine codes fine but cannot access any of the chassis systems. I only get error message IFH-9000.

Per the recommendation of a user on M3F (days before it went down), I have the silver OBD cable from bcables.com. I reached out to bcables but have not heard anything in over a week.

Any tips on how to resolve this? If the cable is the issue, how would I fix it myself?

Appreciate the help!

You will need to solder pins 7 and 8 on your cable together. The engine uses k-line on pin 7 while all other systems are on pin 8.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_obd_ii_diagnostic.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	7422

Comment

Originally posted by Stepstools View Post
      You will need to solder pins 7 and 8 on your cable together. The engine uses k-line on pin 7 while all other systems are on pin 8.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_obd_ii_diagnostic.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	7422
      This.

Comment

Yes! This was correct. My cable has a K/DCAN selector, and apparently it's touchy. I disassembled the plug, and realized the selector switch essentially bridges pin 7 and 8, and has some play in it. When I plugged it back in and messed with the switch, I got it to connect.

Thanks!

Comment

Anybody still have that photo of how to jump the pins? It was like some copper wire wrapped around both or maybe a staple? My cable does't have the switch.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            Anybody still have that photo of how to jump the pins? It was like some copper wire wrapped around both or maybe a staple? My cable does't have the switch.
            Honestly just about anything that conducts electricity would work. I like the wire wrap idea. That sounds like a non-permanent, but unlikely to undo itself solution. My K+DCAN cable has a switch, but I had to connect the pins on my PAsoft adapter. I elected to solder the two connections on the board together. Permanent, but it's unlikely I'll ever use it for a different model car.

Comment

I use this kline cable and it seems to work fine to pull codes via INPA, haven't gotten into much of anything else yet as far as coding etc.

Is a K+DCAN with the switch necessary for a E46 M3, my understanding was D was 2006+ and K 2006 and below.
              2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
              Instagram

Comment

If you use enough solder you may be able to bridge the pins that way. If not a small piece of wire or some strands of wire from a mains cable would do

Comment

You can do pretty much anything. In a pinch I've even folded up aluminum foil into a strip and shoved it through the pins.

Otherwise just do whatever you need to do to solder between the two points. Piece of wire, staple, paper clip, etc. As long as the two pins are electrically continuous, it'll work.

Comment

Thanks, I ended up buying a switchable cable for cheap, but it's good for others to know!
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                    X