MK20 to MK60 retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK20 to MK60 retrofit

Long story short I have not done a MK20 to MK60 retrofit, what coding needs to be done so everyone plays nice?

Backstory is I have a car here that is a MK20 car by VIN and has a S54 swap with a non-M MK60. I think the DSC is keeping the DME from going to sleep. Putting a MK60 M3 VIN in the DME got everything operating correctly but I would like to code the car with the correct vin if possible.

Thanks
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Change the date code in the VO to be #0902 or newer

Comment

Thanks Terra, I've seen #0901 but didn't realize that was the date. Good info! Any particular module?

The car has a mish mash of random modules with their on various VOs. I'm thinking about just building a new VO from scratch, but that is something I haven't done yet.
      Last edited by George Hill; 04-12-2020, 09:12 AM.
      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

Thanks again Terra.

I put the DME VIN back to the cars (MK20) and then changed the date code via the VO in the other modules. So far so good. I've done a few key cycles and everything sleeps like it is supposed to.

Comment

I'm experiencing something similar. Unfortunately blew the fuse on my multimeter in the middle of trying to identify what module was keeping the car awake and it will be a couple weeks before Amazon sends me replacements. Figured I would ask about this in the meantime.

Problem started right after I converted my non-HP DME to HP spec and flashed CSL software. When I did, I used Tool32 to set the AIF and used my car's original build date (16/04/2002). Could this be why my car is not going to sleep?
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            I'm experiencing something similar. Unfortunately blew the fuse on my multimeter in the middle of trying to identify what module was keeping the car awake and it will be a couple weeks before Amazon sends me replacements. Figured I would ask about this in the meantime.

Problem started right after I converted my non-HP DME to HP spec and flashed CSL software. When I did, I used Tool32 to set the AIF and used my car's original build date (16/04/2002). Could this be why my car is not going to sleep?
            While I have seen cases of DSC modules keeping a DME awake, that's always in swapped cars (until your post anyway). And while the CSL never would have had the MK20 from the factory, this is the first I've heard of a module not sleeping with an M3 MK20.

Build date and all that doesn't actually matter as far as the modules themselves care. I had George change the date in his VO so that NCS looks for an MK60 module instead of an MK20.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

While I have seen cases of DSC modules keeping a DME awake, that's always in swapped cars (until your post anyway). And while the CSL never would have had the MK20 from the factory, this is the first I've heard of a module not sleeping with an M3 MK20.

Build date and all that doesn't actually matter as far as the modules themselves care. I had George change the date in his VO so that NCS looks for an MK60 module instead of an MK20.
              Makes sense. I guess that's not my issue then. I'll keep looking once I receive my replacement fuses.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Well a quick test would be to see if the DME module goes to sleep after unplugging the DSC (MK20 plug is relatively easy to access IIRC - fuse might work too).

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                  Well a quick test would be to see if the DME module goes to sleep after unplugging the DSC (MK20 plug is relatively easy to access IIRC - fuse might work too).
                  Nice I'll give that a try later. Any way to check if the DME went to sleep without measuring current draw?

Comment

On my car, the DME main relay (blue) was staying energized. I ended up taking as spare relay and pulled the cover off of it and I would just check to see if the relay was staying closed after 14/15 seconds.

Comment

Just a quick update. Turns out my radio was draining my battery. Car seems to be behaving just fine with an MK20 and CSL software.

Comment

Working...
                      X