Best Feeling BBK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Feeling BBK?

Background: old car had front 332mm ST BBK with stock rears. Current car is stock all around with brash bushings. In both cars I never felt like the brakes were confidence inspiring.

Currently I am planning to rebuild all the stock calipers and swap the MC to see if the pedal feel improves. But if that goes south I would entertain going the BBK route.

My question to the group is what brake kits out there have you upgraded to that have the best pedal FEEL? I don't care much about size or looks, and not even paper specs as to stopping power. I am looking for the best pedal feel and driver feedback. Curious what people's opinions are.

TIA

The brems

Amazing feel and very confidence inpiring. I have had multiple instructors in the past comment on how amazing they thought the brakes are because how much they could feel the modulation from me.
    2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
    2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
    2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
      The brems

Amazing feel and very confidence inpiring. I have had multiple instructors in the past comment on how amazing they thought the brakes are because how much they could feel the modulation from me.
      Using the 996 brembos?

Comment

Brembo GT kit
        2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
        2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
        2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Very happy with AP from Essex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
          2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
            Very happy with AP from Essex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This would be my number 1 choice no question. AP has the racing heritage and that kit is no joke.
            2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
            2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

I disliked the pedal feel on my 996/boxster setup. However I love the feel of the full M4 brake setup.

Comment

+1 on Brembo's GT kit. I have the F40 version which is 4pot front @ 355x32 and 4 pot rear @ 345x28. The parts are expensive but the feel is 2nd to none. You do get what you pay for. Same exact calipers on my viper and the braking on that is insane with so much tire available. I have an extensive parts # break down if you want it.
                '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                many others

Comment

Originally posted by pMak26 View Post
                  +1 on Brembo's GT kit. I have the F40 version which is 4pot front @ 355x32 and 4 pot rear @ 345x28. The parts are expensive but the feel is 2nd to none. You do get what you pay for. Same exact calipers on my viper and the braking on that is insane with so much tire available. I have an extensive parts # break down if you want it.
                  That would be great. Also curious if you’ve done the brake bias calculation. Trying to get close to CSL/ZCP bias.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post
                    I disliked the pedal feel on my 996/boxster setup. However I love the feel of the full M4 brake setup.
                    What didn't you like? What pads are you running on both setups?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

That would be great. Also curious if you’ve done the brake bias calculation. Trying to get close to CSL/ZCP bias.
                      It's a good question, I'm not actually sure. I suppose I could try and calculate it. The front pistons are 36mm and 40mm and the rears are 28mm and 30mm.
                      What is the stock split and what are the stock piston sizes?
                      edit:
                      MK60-based vehicles, Front: 25mm, Rear: 22mm (post-09/2002) (1:54.1 Stock Bias – 60.6%F 39.4%R)
                      MK20-based vehicles, Front: 25mm, Rear: 20mm (pre-09/2002) (1.27:1 Stock Brake Bias – 56.0%F 44.0%R)
                      Last edited by pMak26; 05-04-2021, 06:37 PM.
                      '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                      many others

Comment

Has anyone had firsthand experience comparing the Brembo kit with a ST Trophy kit?
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

This chart is pretty comprehensive and takes into consideration pad size and rotor size to calculate bias, not just piston size. I haven't done the math though, so I have no idea if it's accurate or not.

Let us tell you why brake bias is important. Just because you have a bigger caliper, doesn't necessarily mean that you have more stopping power.

Comment

Another vote for the Brembo GT kit.

Not the 996 kit (I previously ran the brembo GT kit and am now running the 996 setup (because FCP), so I can say that with confidence).
                            The brembos also have much better feel than the Stoptechs (I have them on another car), and the rotors last 2-3x as long as stoptech's.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

The StopTech rings are definitely the weakest part of their Trophy kits. Those calipers are actually pretty nice, but I'd buy different rings after the initial set.
                              '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Working...
                              X