Rear Alignment/Toe Issue: Requesting product commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Alignment/Toe Issue: Requesting product commentary

Went for an alignment prior to my last track day, and i found a shop who does alot of track oriented bmw work. I had not had this complaint before at other shops, but it may have had to do with recent install of solid RTABs from poly, im not sure. The complaint from them was to get near zero toe in the rear(i think i ask for between 1/16 and 1/8) the maximum camber i could get was down around -1-1.2degrees. Any more camber and my toe would need to be significantly higher. Since toe is the true tire chewer, i ran the track day with like no negative camber lol. It was fine i still had fun.

They suggested a toe offsetting "condor" poly rtab but since i like the bearing there and the ridiculous amount of effort to get my solid bushings in there, i came across these toe adjustment plates that seem to be well reviewed.

NEW VERSION USES OEM HARDWARE!   When the rear end geometry is adjusted on the e46/e36/z4 sometimes it is difficult to get the desired toe setting because the OEM trailing arm bracket does not have a large range of adjustment. With elongated adjustment slots, these brackets allow you to move the trailing arm pivot poin

Anyone else have this issue and what do you all think of the product?

What kind of lower control arms do you have? I'm at -3.0 camber in the rear and I've never had a toe limitation issue. I usually run some toe in at the rear. IIRC, the RTAB brackets are relatively centered.

Comment

I have adjustable arms which are not limited on getting the camber i need. I dont know how to run an alignment machine but i think when they set -2camber and try to get to near zero toe they cant get close. So to get close they had to pull camber out to get there. I never had this problem before at other shops either so idk. It was on a proper alignment rack and they do all bmws so i kind of trust them.

Comment

Is your rtab bracket or pocket bent? There is quite a bit of adjustment in the pocket to set toe. Something must not be straight or is binding. Also have not heard of this problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Also worth checking that your bracket is installed in the correct orientation. RTAB should be inside the pocket, not hanging out below it.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
            Also worth checking that your bracket is installed in the correct orientation. RTAB should be inside the pocket, not hanging out below it.
            lol yes its all installed correctly, im sure what you describe would quite an entertaining ride, if it were even possible to install that way? Have you seen someone do that?

Possiblilty of something bent, or the shop not knowing what theyre doing. Thx for the replies.

Comment

Yep it's definitely possible to install them upside down lol
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...-reinforcement
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Do you know if this problem was found on both sides? On heavily tracked cars out here especially from Buttonwillow it’s not uncommon to have a slightly bent trailing arm (and FLCAs too of course) according to my alignment shop that does a ton of E36/46 track cars. My LH side is slightly bent, was still able to get camber and toe where I needed but the adjustment is basically maxed out on that side.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Yep it's definitely possible to install them upside down lol
                  https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...-reinforcement
                  😳 WOW! Definitely not installed that way. Ive been through 3 trials of different RTABs, I know this area of the car well! That looks so messed up. I feel like you would have to swap the brackets side to side to get it to fit???

Anyways,

Assuming something bent, maybe those brackets might work

Comment

Working...
                  X