Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harness mounting options for street/track car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harness mounting options for street/track car?

I'm looking to run Schroth Profi ASM 4 point harness with my Recaro Pole Position ABE seat in my street/track E46 M3, and trying to find a proper harness mounting solution. Kind of surprised at the lack of options for our platform, the only thing I find is Brey-Krause Harness Mount Bar​. But strangely they haven't updated the product page (still says it's been redesigned as of September 2018 and new pics coming soon, but there's no new pics or any of it mounted in a car), and I don't see much mention of it or any pics of anyone running it; it is pricey so want to know if its a good option.
    I don't yet want to get a roll bar/half-cage as again my car is a street car and I dont want to weld anything in, besides the only options for those I see are the AutoPower ones and they don't seem to have a great reputation from what I read.

PS.I dont have my rear interior for what it's worth (no back seats, bolsters, seatbelts, rear deck cover), but still full front cabin interior.

What are you guys with not full out track cars running for the harness mounting? Anyone running the BK Harness Mount Bar? Thanks!
    Last edited by BigRussia; 11-22-2023, 06:32 AM.
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
    I'm looking to run Schroth Profi ASM 4 point harness with my Recaro Pole Position ABE seat in my street/track E46 M3, and trying to find a proper harness mounting solution. Kind of surprised at the lack of options for our platform, the only thing I find is Brey-Krause Harness Mount Bar​. But strangely they haven't updated the product page (still says it's been redesigned as of September 2018 and new pics coming soon, but there's no new pics or any of it mounted in a car), and I don't see much mention of it or any pics of anyone running it; it is pricey so want to know if its a good option.
    I don't yet want to get a roll bar/half-cage as again my car is a street car and I dont want to weld anything in, besides the only options for those I see are the AutoPower ones and they don't seem to have a great reputation from what I read.

What are you guys with not full out track cars running for the harness mounting? Anyone running the BK Harness Mount Bar? Thanks!
    I'm running this one:
    https://www.bkauto.com/R_1246_E46_Re...t_p/r-1246.htm

Keeps the back seat fully functional, harnesses install and remove in <2 minutes, lighter, less to fail.

The trade off is that the harness runs are longer, so slightly more stretch, but still within the range of what I consider acceptable.

IIRC there's one for sale in the classifieds as we speak.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yes I looked into that one first, but it wasn't viable for me when I saw in the install they need the back seatbelt receptacles to mount to I dont have my back seats or rear seatbelts anymore. I should've mentioned that in my OP, and that access to the rear isn't an issue for me, back seat access was comprised as soon as I got the fixed back bucket seats even with the BK power sliders.
      Last edited by BigRussia; 11-22-2023, 06:25 AM.
      Instagram
      Youtube

Comment

Yes I looked into that one first, but it wasn't viable for me when I saw in the install they need the back seatbelt receptacles to mount to I dont have my back seats or rear seatbelts anymore. I should've mentioned that in my OP, and that access to the rear isn't an issue for me, back seat access was comprised as soon as I got the fixed back bucket seats even with the BK power sliders.
        You actually don't need the retractors-- they use just share the chassis mount points.

That said, I'm pretty sure released the updated traditional harness bar, and just never updated their site.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

You actually don't need the retractors-- they use just share the chassis mount points.

That said, I'm pretty sure released the updated traditional harness bar, and just never updated their site.
          Oh good to know! Yeah their install instructions weren't clear on that, so made it seem like they needed the retractors to mount to haha. I might reconsider them, the only other benefit I was thinking the Harness Mount Bar could have is maybe some tiny amount of chassis rigidity, even though it's heavier option? But that's probably just wishful thinking right?

I am also running the DMG CO+OP bar that mounts under the rear deck and ties to the shock towers, I have to consider if that could interfere with the rear deck mount installation.
          (not my car but just to give an idea)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture co+op bar.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	243118
          Last edited by BigRussia; 11-22-2023, 09:29 AM.
          Instagram
          Youtube

Comment

Oh good to know! Yeah their install instructions weren't clear on that, so made it seem like they needed the retractors to mount to haha. I might reconsider them, the only other benefit I was thinking the Harness Mount Bar could have is maybe some tiny amount of chassis rigidity, even though it's heavier option? But that's probably just wishful thinking right?

I am also running the DMG CO+OP bar that mounts under the rear deck and ties to the shock towers, I have to consider if that could interfere with the rear deck mount installation.
            (not my car but just to give an idea)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture co+op bar.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	243118
            I don’t think the BK bar will do anything for chassis rigidity.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Since you're looking at a four-point harness, why not get a Quickfit? I was able to get the Pro version to pass through the ABE's harness openings.
              If you already removed the rear interior, find another seat belt receptacle and the two bolts (one for the receptacle, the other for the other tail end)
              IMO it would be easier than messing with a harness bar.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post
                Since you're looking at a four-point harness, why not get a Quickfit? I was able to get the Pro version to pass through the ABE's harness openings.
                If you already removed the rear interior, find another seat belt receptacle and the two bolts (one for the receptacle, the other for the other tail end)
                IMO it would be easier than messing with a harness bar.
                I don’t think it’s he ABE is certified to use with the quickfit. As far as I know, the only fixed back seat that is is the Cobra Nogaro. Lots of downward facing forces that most fixed back seats are not designed for with the Quick fits.

So, I would not.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I don’t think it’s he ABE is certified to use with the quickfit. As far as I know, the only fixed back seat that is is the Cobra Nogaro. Lots of downward facing forces that most fixed back seats are not designed for with the Quick fits.

So, I would not.
                  From their website:

"Quick Fit harnesses are not approved for use with any fixed back or aftermarket seats with the following exceptions: The Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE are approved for use with QuickFit harnesses in already approved vehicles."

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

From their website:

"Quick Fit harnesses are not approved for use with any fixed back or aftermarket seats with the following exceptions: The Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE are approved for use with QuickFit harnesses in already approved vehicles."

https://www.schrothracing.com/doc-sh..._seat_2021.pdf
                    It would appear I was wrong. Proceed 😜

(side note— despite having an approved seat (nogaro), I still choose not to use the quickfit because of the force directions involved)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Yeah no Quick Fits for me, I already have the Profi ASM 4 point belts sitting new in their box, just waiting to get a proper mounting solution to install them. I also just purchased a HANS III device and post anchors for Black Friday to run with them.

But dang yeah I wasn't aware my ABE seat was actually compatible with the Quick Fits, everything I read when I first looked into them years ago was saying they were meant for factory seats. And since I had the rear seat belts already removed I had passed on them :/

But wont the shoulder belt angle be more than the 'safe' 20 degrees with them? That was the other reason I didn't get them, especially with the PP seats already having notoriously low shoulder holes. I would think they would still need a harness guide bar to not risk shoulder and spine injuries.
                      Last edited by BigRussia; 11-22-2023, 04:57 PM.
                      Instagram
                      Youtube

Comment

Better off with the quick fits than a 4pt harness.

No offense...but you really need to do your research. A quick fit utilizes the OEM tensioner which prevents submarining. In addition, there is a black box on the inner shoulder strap to allow the upper torso to rotate so the 20 degree thing isn't an issue. A 4pt has none of that - no anti-submarine system other than...how tight can you get your lap belts?

Here are the choices accepted by HPDE's - OEM, Schroth Quick Fit (show them the certs), and a 6pt harness.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                          Better off with the quick fits than a 4pt harness.

No offense...but you really need to do your research. A quick fit utilizes the OEM tensioner which prevents submarining. In addition, there is a black box on the inner shoulder strap to allow the upper torso to rotate so the 20 degree thing isn't an issue. A 4pt has none of that - no anti-submarine system other than...how tight can you get your lap belts?

Here are the choices accepted by HPDE's - OEM, Schroth Quick Fit (show them the certs), and a 6pt harness.
                          My non quick fit schroth 4 point has the anti submarining shoulder give point (they make harnesses other than the quick fit with this), and utilizes the factory 4 point tensioner 😜

AND has a sub strap attachment point, if I want it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I’d suggest running a sub strap with your four points. The camlock on my QuickFit pros would ride up, and I imagine there would be some organ damage in the event of a crash.
                            Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                            Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

My non quick fit schroth 4 point has the anti submarining shoulder give point (they make harnesses other than the quick fit with this), and utilizes the factory 4 point tensioner 😜

AND has a sub strap attachment point, if I want it.
                              Didn't know you could add sub straps to the regular quick fits. I'd think that kind of defeat the ease of removal feature.

For everyone....here's a good video on the quick fits...

Comment

Working...
                              X