Which Oil for tracking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Oil for tracking?

I've used Amsoil 15W-50 exclusively for the past 5+ years, but no longer have access to it.

I ABSOLUTLEY HATE the can of worms I'm about to open up but I'm going to do it anyway....(and I'm surprised we don't have a thread already)

What oil are you using for your track cars?

Mahle or Mann oil filter preference?

Thanks 馃檹馃徎

I use the Mahle filters. For oil, I have varied between the BMW OE 10w60, Castrol Supercar 10w60 and Liqui-Moly Racetech 10w60. Sometimes I even mix partials鈥all me crazy.

Comment

TotalEnergies Quartz Racing 10W-60.

Filters - Mann or Mahle. Oil gets changed every second track day.

Comment

OE 10W-60.

Yearly change, with an OE filter :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Valvoline VR1 20w-50 full syn
          '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
          many others

Comment

Originally posted by TACOM3EAT View Post
            I've used Amsoil 15W-50 exclusively for the past 5+ years, but no longer have access to it.

I ABSOLUTLEY HATE the can of worms I'm about to open up but I'm going to do it anyway....(and I'm surprised we don't have a thread already)

What oil are you using for your track cars?

Mahle or Mann oil filter preference?

Thanks 馃檹馃徎

Another oil thread?...lol

I use OE 10w-60 and a Mahle or Mann filter...whatever is cheaper.

I've been considering using Ravenoil 15w-50. I've seen other S54 cars run cooler oil than me...although my coolant temps are about 15 degrees lower. If I drive the car long enough running up to redline every time, I can get the oil temps up to 300 after 20 minutes of hot lapping.

I also need to clean up the OE ductwork in front of the cooler.

OE 10w-60 seems to work really well from a protection standpoint which makes it hard to go to another oil.

Comment

OE 10W-60 and the OE filter. Blackstone check every other change.

Comment

Motul power ester 5w50 and amsoil 5w50 would be my suggestions. Motul is very affordable in the 5l jugs.

Mahle filter, no mann or hengst or anyone else.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 DCT Slicktop Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 Coupe 6spd Slicktop zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I only run 300V in the race cars.

Comment

(S65 here, and a track n00b compared to many here, so take this with a grain of salt)

Pretty sure one of the reasons for BMW's oil spec for these cars is to account for track use. I'm also not aware of any deficiencies in the OE oil that warrant using something else. I have read that people can get lower temps by using different oil, but that purpose is probably better served by upgrading cooling somehow (ducting, radiators, etc.). So, OE oil for me.

If for whatever reason I had to run something else, it'd probably be Motul 300V. It's widely available, heavily track-oriented without having any weird quirks like poor detergency, and used by big-boy race teams. Can't think of anything else right now that ticks all those boxes.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
                    Slicktop, no iDrive | 脰hlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
                    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I only run Motul 300V. 15/50 for the S54 for the 20 years I have owned that car, and 10/40 for the S52. back in the late 90's/ early 2000's, I Roadraced Motorcycles on track and used Motul for those CBR600's. F2, F3, and F4. Never had any oil related failures. Only my skill and judgement Ha! Expensive oil change but cheap insurance IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by S54330Ci View Post
                        TotalEnergies Quartz Racing 10W-60. Filters - Mann or Mahle. Oil gets changed every second track day.
                        Ditto! I've never had an issue and with 100+ hard track hours on the engine, the Blackstone reports are still great.

Feff
                        MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
                        X