Brake Rotor Deposit/Grooving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apex_80 View Post
    I look at it this way - you can run a track pad on the street but it will be annoying (loud and not as responsive) and also potentially hard on rotors. On the other hand you definitely can't run a street pad on the track as its a safety issue. With your replacements being free from FCP I don't see rotor life being a problem.

Track pads on the street squeal a ton, most don't work well when not up to temp (safety issue), and the dust (of which there's a lot more than a street pad) is terrible for the finish on wheels.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
      Thing is I was hoping to run 1 pad for street driving (only spring/summer/early fall) and track, since my front caliper carrier slide pin threads are stripped and repaired with helicoil, and sometimes when I remove the slide pins, a helicoil or two may come with them. And since they're M9 thread, they're hard to come across. But really I just have to get off my lazy ass and source cheap used caliper carriers as replacements
      Yeah, lol, do that. I've never had good results with Helicoils -- they seem to be one-way, and come out in pieces when I try to take the bolt out. I swear by Timeserts now (http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html). But that's a lot of effort and money when the easiest thing to do is just buy some carriers on eBay.

I know you're trying to use FCP to get free pads, but they really don't have a good selection. I've seen DS1.11 pads pop up once in a while on there, but they don't appear to have them in their catalog for most fitments. Fix your carrier situation, buy track pads, swap them out. It takes almost no time at all, even with sliding calipers. I'm also a huge proponent of taking your time and checking everything in there while you're swapping pads.
      '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

If you have helicoils holding your caliper retaining bolts, please don't put the car on track. I've got a spare rebuilt front set with the caliper carriers I took off the track car, pay shipping and they are yours. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
          If you have helicoils holding your caliper retaining bolts, please don't put the car on track. I've got a spare rebuilt front set with the caliper carriers I took off the track car, pay shipping and they are yours. PM me.
          Appreciate it but I have a 330. The caliper to upright bolts are fine, the ones for the slide pins are not and don't require a ton of torque to tighten. It's more so a convenience thing at this point with swapping back and forth between 2 sets of pads

Comment

I've had brand new slide pins loosen up over a weekend - your call. Not sure if the 330 carriers are the same as M3. Wouldn't be much to ship just those.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
              I've had brand new slide pins loosen up over a weekend - your call. Not sure if the 330 carriers are the same as M3. Wouldn't be much to ship just those.
              Fairly certain they're different even though the pads are the same, I'm guessing to accommodate the different upright between the cars. Otherwise I'd be happy to take the off your hands

Comment

I too tried HPS pads on track. Didn’t last a weekend. So you’re not the only one...lol.

I could use one pad for street and track...but I have brake cooling and my car only weighs 2700lbs (no fuel, no driver). But most will need a dedicated pad for track.

The problem with using a street pad on the track is what you’re experiencing.

The problem with a track pad on the street is you will wear out rotors really fast and you will likely lose a lot of bite. Cold track pads are extremely abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X