Aero Inspiration - splitters, wings, and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero Inspiration - splitters, wings, and more

Hey folks, I'm probably going to be opening a can of worms, but would love to get some inspiration for a future aero setup. I'm gearing up to get into TT and in order to be competitive, I'll have to finally figure out aero setup for both a splitter and wing.

I've searched high and low to find ideas out there, from the Hard Motorsport, to Bimmerworld, to BuildJournal, to AJ Hartman and DIY kits with plywood to fancy CF kits.

So what's worked for you? What did you wish you knew when putting together your first kit?
    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

I went a fairly cheap route, with a "custom" plywood splitter and 9 lives racing "big wang". The wing was around $800 and the splitter was less than that to build two of them. For my needs, this setup works quite well and was very cost effective. I will likely crunch the splitter down the road, so opted out of a fancy setup there. I'm sure others might say the 9 lives wing is not the best, but it seems to get the job done, and the data 9 lives provides is that it is quite effective. Allowed me to allocate more funds for hoosiers/other modifications to optimize the car.

One thing I will say about the wing is that the wing element itself is bare aluminum and I would wrap it with something if you want it to look perfect. If any water sits on it for any period of time, it will leave water marks. My car is more of a function over form build so it doesn't really bother me that much.
    Last edited by lcrain; 12-29-2020, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I have Bimmerworld rear wing. I have AJ Hartman front splitter but he doesn't make it anymore. Though I think he makes a cardboard to carbon version if you know what you want flat carbon piece. I also have his rear diffusor but honestly, I don't think it makes a huge difference if you don't have a flat bottom car. I used to have the BW rear diffusor and ran for 6 months with nothing when that broke. I never noticed a big difference in times. I'll be at MSRH next month with NASA if you want to see my set up.

Last edited by thundermoose; 12-29-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thundermoose View Post
        I have Bimmerworld rear wing. I have AJ Hartman front splitter but he doesn't make it anymore. Though I think he makes a cardboard to carbon version if you know what you want flat carbon piece. I also have his rear diffusor but honestly, I don't think it makes a huge difference if you don't have a flat bottom car. I used to have the BW rear diffusor and ran for 6 months with nothing when that broke. I never noticed a big difference in times. I'll be at MSRH next month with NASA if you want to see my set up.
        Great idea... I'm 50/50 if I'll make the drive down to Houston for the weekend but I'd like to since I haven't done MSR Houston yet. I'd like a closer look at your setup to get some ideas. I love what AJ does, but he does command a high premium!

Do you feel like the trunk mounted wing is solid enough or do you wish you tied it into the chassis?

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post
          I went a fairly cheap route, with a "custom" plywood splitter and 9 lives racing "big wang". The wing was around $800 and the splitter was less than that to build two of them. For my needs, this setup works quite well and was very cost effective. I will likely crunch the splitter down the road, so opted out of a fancy setup there. I'm sure others might say the 9 lives wing is not the best, but it seems to get the job done, and the data 9 lives provides is that it is quite effective. Allowed me to allocate more funds for hoosiers/other modifications to optimize the car.

One thing I will say about the wing is that the wing element itself is bare aluminum and I would wrap it with something if you want it to look perfect. If any water sits on it for any period of time, it will leave water marks. My car is more of a function over form build so it doesn't really bother me that much.
          Yeah I've been tempted by the cost effectiveness of a plywood splitter setup. For your splitter mounts in the front, did you tie it into the bumper support or something more solid?

I've kinda heard the same for Nine Lives... good, but not great. Even though this is a track car, I'm still an OCD to make sure it at least looks good too!

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Great idea... I'm 50/50 if I'll make the drive down to Houston for the weekend but I'd like to since I haven't done MSR Houston yet. I'd like a closer look at your setup to get some ideas. I love what AJ does, but he does command a high premium!

Do you feel like the trunk mounted wing is solid enough or do you wish you tied it into the chassis?
            I think it’s strong enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m running a wing I got from Amazon.com...bought with Hilton Honors points so it cost me $0.00. It’s probably not optimal but it makes a difference. It really made a difference when I chassis mounted the wing. I’m sure there’s a bunch of drag and it won’t impress anyone.

I started out with a plywood splitter. It worked well until I went to COTA. It’s pretty big and the corners weren’t stiff enough and there really isn’t a good way to install a splitter support rod. The front end would start vibrating at 138-ish MPH depending on wind direction. You can use plywood but can’t make the splitter too long or it needs a bunch of reinforcement.

I’ve made 2 carbon splitters with foam cores. First one was meh (had air entrapment and used spread tow fabric without a binder so it was a mess) but it was definitely an upgrade.

Made a 2nd splitter and scraped it to death using smaller diameter tires at MSRH. MSRH is so bumpy. I could up spring rates but then the car understeers. Haven’t tried lowering rear spring rates.

In the process of making a 3rd one. I have a better understanding of working with solid foam cores in a vacuum infusion.

Then some other lessons...don’t use aluminum to mount splitters and McMaster Carr is your best friend.

The biggest challenge is trying to minimize weight. I’m already 52/48 f-r. At 2575lbs dry, adding 10 lbs actually makes a noticeable difference. The car is significantly different when I have a passenger. I’ve had to give up some weight and use steel to mount my splitter. The aluminum stands didn’t last.

With that said, AJ Hartman stuff is a relative bargain because it’s engineered and well made. Far less monkeying around with your aero. Saves time and probably money when you factor in potential lost track time and frustration.

Last edited by bigjae46; 12-30-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I am using the buildjournal mounts on my front splitter. Along with their quick disconnect front bumper mounts it makes for a really nice setup that allows very good access to that area of the car if needed. For the splitter I used alumalite which isnt ($200 for a 4x8 sheet) the cheapest material but very light and stiff. ran this car last season with jut the front splitter and no wing. I installed the splitter to combat a n understeer issue I was having. It did help but ultimately I changed suspension setup to fully fix the problem. Buildjournal has been awesome and stands behind their product 100%.

I placed an order for a ninvelives racing wing last month and will be installing it for next season so I cannot comment yet but as said above it is a very affordable option with some real data behind its design. The two big downfalls are the weight vs carbon and the unfinished surface.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	285.6 KB ID:	76033
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	76035
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sergmann; 12-30-2020, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Yeah I've been tempted by the cost effectiveness of a plywood splitter setup. For your splitter mounts in the front, did you tie it into the bumper support or something more solid?

I've kinda heard the same for Nine Lives... good, but not great. Even though this is a track car, I'm still an OCD to make sure it at least looks good too!
                  Greg Smith, at GSR Motorsports in Ft. Worth (you should speak with him), "developed" my setup. The rear of the splitter slides into a bracket welded to the front subframe. I have four bumper mounted "supports" that basically push down on the splitter, then the four tension cables across the front as you can see in the photos. Very rigid. I wanted it removable for ingress/egress into my trailer which is nice.

Comment

The stock underside of the m3 is relatively smooth with the plastic aero pieces but a true flat panel will smooth the airflow under the car creating downforce and efficiently. This is going to add cooling concerns. I think Lang has a flat panel and maybe uses a electric rear mounted radiator.

I also like those gurney flaps directly above the radiator. They direct air flow through the radiator and up over the car. Good for aero and cooling but your cutting your stock hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                      I am using the buildjournal mounts on my front splitter. Along with their quick disconnect front bumper mounts it makes for a really nice setup that allows very good access to that area of the car if needed. For the splitter I used alumalite which isnt ($200 for a 4x8 sheet) the cheapest material but very light and stiff. ran this car last season with jut the front splitter and no wing. I installed the splitter to combat a n understeer issue I was having. It did help but ultimately I changed suspension setup to fully fix the problem. Buildjournal has been awesome and stands behind their product 100%.

I placed an order for a ninvelives racing wing last month and will be installing it for next season so I cannot comment yet but as said above it is a very affordable option with some real data behind its design. The two big downfalls are the weight vs carbon and the unfinished surface.
                      Yeah I like the Buildjournal approach and when I do this, I'd like to do the quick disconnect bumper/splitter too for the easy access. I see you entirely removed the finder liners too? Did you remove all that plastic liners even within the wheel well?

What's the measurement from bumper to the edge of the splitter? I believe NASA TT rules is that it must be within 12". I'm trying to get a gauge between the Hard Motorsports splitter which doesn't appear to stick out of the bumper as much as a custom splitter potentially could.

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post

Greg Smith, at GSR Motorsports in Ft. Worth (you should speak with him), "developed" my setup. The rear of the splitter slides into a bracket welded to the front subframe. I have four bumper mounted "supports" that basically push down on the splitter, then the four tension cables across the front as you can see in the photos. Very rigid. I wanted it removable for ingress/egress into my trailer which is nice.
                        Yeah I've heard of him, sucks he's all the way in Fort Worth. I'm on the Dallas side of DFW otherwise, I'd be going to him and Texas Track Works. I've been working with Andy at Clownshoe for the last year on general maintenance and upkeep of the car.

Do you have any pics handy of how you tapped into the subframe for the mounts? I haven't seen that approach yet.

Comment

Yeah I like the Buildjournal approach and when I do this, I'd like to do the quick disconnect bumper/splitter too for the easy access. I see you entirely removed the finder liners too? Did you remove all that plastic liners even within the wheel well?

What's the measurement from bumper to the edge of the splitter? I believe NASA TT rules is that it must be within 12". I'm trying to get a gauge between the Hard Motorsports splitter which doesn't appear to stick out of the bumper as much as a custom splitter potentially could.
                          Only the front portion of the fender liners have been removed. The section inside the fenders themselves are still there although they are mostly worn through at this point from tire rub and will likely get removed this winter for some fender venting if I get that far. which dimension are you looking for exactly? Mine is a very small splitter by most standards and only stick out from the front of the bumper by about 4"

Comment

My car is a track car. so I might go with the GT4 style wing that PSdesigns sells. Or maybe the GTS style. With High mounts. I think the schirmer builds use these type of wings.
                            Well probably add canards from PSdesigns. And still have not decided on a splitter.

Anybody have experience with the quality of PSdesigns product?

Comment

Originally posted by Jevi Javi View Post
                              My car is a track car. so I might go with the GT4 style wing that PSdesigns sells. Or maybe the GTS style. With High mounts. I think the schirmer builds use these type of wings.
                              Well probably add canards from PSdesigns. And still have not decided on a splitter.

Anybody have experience with the quality of PSdesigns product?
                              Can’t say I’ve heard it seen them at the track.

Personally if the company doesn’t present some form of data of how well the wing operates then I’m not gonna buy from them.

Comment

Working...
                              X