2021 tire thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eternaln View Post

At my local thats around 3mi in length (about 2:00 per lap), my data shows the 3r being about 2-3s faster than the NT01
    That's amazing! Where is the 3r slotting in, as an auto-x tire that turns fast time trial laps like the RE71r, or a good HPDE tire that can last 30 minutes like the NT01?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post

That's amazing! Where is the 3r slotting in, as an auto-x tire that turns fast time trial laps like the RE71r, or a good HPDE tire that can last 30 minutes like the NT01?
      Someone else with more experience w the tires can correct me, but they’re more of a track tire than an autox tire like an a052. I felt they still needed a lap to get warmed up before they were ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
      2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Someone else with more experience w the tires can correct me, but they’re more of a track tire than an autox tire like an a052. I felt they still needed a lap to get warmed up before they were ready to go.

Gotcha

Comment

This is correct, the 3R would not work in autox whatsoever. These tires are downright scary when cold or if its damp.

Comment

Looks like eBay has a sale on new tires through a couple vendors, including discounttiredirect. $100 off for every set of tires more than $400. You could get a sweet $200 off a set of 4. great deal IMO. I think they only do this a couple times a year. https://www.ebay.com/e/p&a/tires-spring-coupon-031521

just saw this and jumped on it. bought two sets of two tires and got $100 of each set. $946 delivered with tax for (4) 275/35R18 NT-01

Comment

At the track now with a brand new heat cycled s3r’s and they’re worth every bit of the hype.

I’m down a full second from my previous best on nt01’s and my optimal lap is still a full second more.

Overall they have good feedback and early warnings before it lets go. They’re easy to catch when the rear goes. Feels very much like the nt01’s overall but with more grip.

Put them on your radars... now to figure out how long they last! Hmmmm...

How do the 3R feel in terms of dynamics and turn-in? I can't stand the NT01 for how sloppy they feel on turn-in and are overly sensitive to tire pressure. The AR-1s feel fantastic and I've found them to be more consistent and easier to dial in. Curious about the 3R as well as the standard Supercar 3 in those regards..

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post

How do the 3R feel in terms of dynamics and turn-in? I can't stand the NT01 for how sloppy they feel on turn-in and are overly sensitive to tire pressure. The AR-1s feel fantastic and I've found them to be more consistent and easier to dial in. Curious about the 3R as well as the standard Supercar 3 in those regards..
                To my very uncalibrated butt dyno, I felt it fell between the AR1 and NT01's. I didn't mind the soft NT01 turn in feel... but the AR1's are almost too stiff. I was really happy with how the 3R's felt. On a heat cycled set, I was able to match my previous best times in one session without feeling I was pushing the car too hard. It was almost immediately new personal best times.
                2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
                2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Wanted to report back here with some feedback after my first track day on a new set of tires.

Currently running Dunlop direzza z3 and prior I ran Hankook rs3 then Hankook rs4. All the same sizes, 265/35/18.

These Dunlop’s definitely carry more grip than the hankooks! They also run slightly bigger. I ran a new set of RS4s and a new set of z3s at the same track (LRP) and my car felt better on the direzza z3. I felt more confident pushing the car than I did with the RS4s.

The RS4 is a great tire, without a doubt and I learned a lot from having them. They lasted me forever. I’m here to say that these Dunlop’s are definitely a great replacement. Very Happy with my purchase and since there isn’t much feedback on here I figured I’d give my .02
                  Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Just got back from running the Goodyear Supercar 3 (not 3R) 275/35/18. For 220TW they are spectacular, heated up after the first lap and stayed relatively stable for 3-4 hot laps. Watch for pressure changes though, I started the day at 31psi (after driving to the track) and after the first session it had climbed to 38/40psi in 85 degree weather. Optimal seems to be around 34-36 psi hot.

Compared the the PS4S, I would say Supercar 3 are slightly softer and louder. No direct track comparison since the PS4S were staggered sizes.

Compared to Federal FZ-201m (100TW), the Supercar 3 is much softer and louder. Either the Supercar 3 is that great or the FZ-201m are not as great as I thought. In terms of lap times, I was not able to get a clean lap but according to data, optimal lap with the Supercar 3 is 0.3 sec faster than the fz-201m on a 2.5 mile course.

Supercar 3 is great for double duty, relatively low road noise and soaks up most bumps in the road. PS4S is great as a daily with maybe one or two track days a year. For the price, FZ-201m are decent but I expect more from a 100tw tire.
                    Last edited by jk715; 07-14-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X