any experience with LUK TOB??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any experience with LUK TOB??

Im in the middle of a manual conversion, the Throw out bearing that came with LUK kit is slightly different design or maybe its faulty... the flange is rotating slightly and loose. I realize this might be to align properly with the plate, but I just wanted to make sure... Also the collar is composite, anyone experience this and have it fail???

Get a BMW one. The ones that come with the non OE clutches are crap.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

damn it lol
      Im getting mixed info... have a trusted mechanic locally who deals with euro sport cars and is very knowledgeable, says its fine.

Comment

It's not. Dimensions are wrong and it's... sloppy.

Video I made of new LUK vs new OE BMW:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Yup, get the BMW one. Having both side by side makes it clear that the LUK part is of inferior quality. Like Obioban said, the dimensions and tolerances are all wrong.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

And I'd recommend getting an OE pilot bearing, too. Back on m3f I posted a comparison between a new OE vs new LUK pilot bearing and the OE piece, both the new and the original one felt to be much better quality than one included with the LUK kit.

It was a peace of mind thing for me.
            Last edited by Will; 04-21-2021, 05:34 PM. Reason: words.

Comment

I have an OEM TUB for sale, FYI. Agree with comments to retain OEM.
              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

yeah just got the Pilot bearing out and i bough another FAG to use instead of the kit one, it slides in with my finger! I checked and seems there is a difference of .001 inch... so i have the kit and FAG measuring same and they are both slightly smaller... gonna check with a shop right now if their FAG is same size.

as for TOB, I was told the design is meant to have that slight tolerance for better even pressure on the plate. some move on the inside, this one moves on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
                  yeah just got the Pilot bearing out and i bough another FAG to use instead of the kit one, it slides in with my finger! I checked and seems there is a difference of .001 inch... so i have the kit and FAG measuring same and they are both slightly smaller... gonna check with a shop right now if their FAG is same size.
                  Had the same experience. Went back to OE and all was well.

Regarding TOBs, I made the mistake of putting a LUK piece in when I did my first clutch job and ended up having to pull the trans and replace it with an OE one because it rattled immediately.

I was not a happy camper.

Comment

well shit out of luck, just bought another FAG pilot bearing and its same size, slides in without much force.... tomorrow morning Ill call bmw and see if they can rape me. As for TOB, Ill need to order another one and get it Friday... but I just spoke to another euro mechanic and says this LUK bearing is fine.. Ill see if I can get another one tomorrow

Comment

Wow. I guess I'll be replacing that again. I wasn't impressed with the quality of their clutch kit but got it for around $200 so I couldn't complain.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I have the LUK TOB as well, same with FAG pilot bearing. Honestly I have had no issues with either. Pilot bearing was a tight fit going in and the same coming out when I pulled the motor for the rebuild. I noticed the difference in design for the TOB but have never noticed any rattling, or anything to indicate it was a downgrade. What is the practical implication of the LUK being slightly shorter? I can't imagine there is much of a difference given it was not perceptible driving. Not enough to warrant pulling the trans and replacing it anyway. Maybe when I'm next in there.

Comment

The one that LuK (and others) include in the kit seems to be the TOB BMW uses on the non-M 6-speed.

I don't know if it's *actually* any worse, I haven't heard of anyone having a failure as a result. But might as well stick with the proper piece given how much of a pain it'd be to replace it again.

Comment

that is exactly like that... from what ive heard, its an updated design to give a little flexibility when parts a moving. most likely ill stick to this one if i can't get anything else this week.. as for the Pilot bearing, Ill call bmw tomorrow morning. but interesting enough, 2 FAG bearings are exactly the same but one was made in KOREA while the other in PORTUGAL.

Comment

Also, looking at that TOB from ECS, they use INA as the suppler and that is exactly same one as I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X