Caliper bleed screw broken off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post
    Bad news... drill bit broke off and got hopelessly stuck inside. After a few hours of frustration I have given up. Ill be contacting my machine shop guys and pray that they will drill it out for me there. if not... anyone selling a CSL/ZCP right rear caliper?
    You'll want to rebuild both rear calipers - since you are taking one off anyway. I'd pull the other rear first - just in case you have the same problem with it. Replace both bleed screws.

Comment

Bad news... drill bit broke off and got hopelessly stuck inside.
      Sorry to hear the bad news, but what was your plan of drilling it? The drill could easily off center and damage the female threads. $10 impact driver is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Sorry to hear the bad news, but what was your plan of drilling it? The drill could easily off center and damage the female threads. $10 impact driver is the way to go.
        If you see in the photo there’s already a pre existing hole. So drilling was quite safe. But once the bit broke off inside it was near impossible to drill clean....

So basically at this point I need to have my machine shop drill it out super clean and extract.

If they can’t get it done then I’ll need a new (used) caliper. Which I will probably rebuild along with the other ones on the car.

And yes, I purchased 4 new bleeder valve/screws. Going to replace all those stupid things

Comment

Not sure what a machine shops charges, but a used calipers is probably 30 to 40 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
            Not sure what a machine shops charges, but a used calipers is probably 30 to 40 bucks.
            He would need a rear CSL/ZCP caliper, not sure those sell that cheap.
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by oldFanatic View Post
              He would need a rear CSL/ZCP caliper, not sure those sell that cheap.
              A part out would have one. SteelGrey user name led me to believe pre-ZCP, but just saw post #14.

Comment

Bad news... drill bit broke off and got hopelessly stuck inside. After a few hours of frustration I have given up. Ill be contacting my machine shop guys and pray that they will drill it out for me there.
                Sorry to hear that. Yep sometimes that happens. Just be thankful you were smart and didn’t damage it more and make it worse. Machine shop will be able to remove and get you back up in short time.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Bad news... drill bit broke off and got hopelessly stuck inside. After a few hours of frustration I have given up. Ill be contacting my machine shop guys and pray that they will drill it out for me there. if not... anyone selling a CSL/ZCP right rear caliper?
                  The exact same thing just happened to me today. It seems surprisingly common, I think bleeder screw replacement should be part of 10 year/100k maintenance.

Any updates on if the shop was able to fix it or did you get a used caliper?

Comment

Originally posted by JokerElite View Post

The exact same thing just happened to me today. It seems surprisingly common, I think bleeder screw replacement should be part of 10 year/100k maintenance.

Any updates on if the shop was able to fix it or did you get a used caliper?
                    I found a source for used CSL caliper about $250 for the one.

Comment

I found a source for used CSL caliper about $250 for the one.
                      Quickest M3F reply ever! Good to know ty.

Comment

Working...
                      X