*delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
    Hmm, a couple things stand out to me from that report.

First, was the leak down test repeated after the cylinders were cleaned? The oil that was in there might have made the leak down numbers look better if it was helping seal along the piston rings.

Second, I would measure the pressure at the port on both airboxes before blaming anything. It feels like too many variables were changed at the same time to immediately place blame on the Karb box. Pressure numbers are indisputable and will tell you if the airbox is truly sucking in oil or not.
    These are good point - I’ll follow up with them to confirm.

I appreciate everyone’s time and input here btw. Thanks!
    TiAG 6mt Coupe | KARBONIUS | SUPERSPRINT | FIKSE WHEELS | OEM CSL | MILE END COMPOSITES | AST 5200 | HOTCHKIS | BREMBO | RECARO | BEISAN | CATCAMS | CP-CARILLO | TMS | RTD | ROGUE ENGINEERING | AKG MOTORSPORT | HTE PERFORMANCE

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post

The airbox is currently with the car at the shop.
      They mentioned that there seemed to be a slight different in the underside of the breather connection between airboxes - OEM/evolve has a scallop or indentation, Karb appears to be flat.
      I can get photos or more substantiation here, but this will likely need to be vetted physically by Karb.
      More curious about any QC issues or similar experiences especially given their new design at that time. Not questioning their quality/service either. I’ve had amazing service and products from them between their roof and airbox.
      Yeah, their previous versions don't have those two teeth on the port which keep that vent hose from rotating. The main issue I saw with that port underneath was that the diameter was too large on one example and on another, the length was too short causing the line to be loose or fall out with the slightest bit of force. I mentioned this to them a few times, but all they said was that no one has reported an issue.

I'm not sure how that oil line being loose would cause this issue though. Maybe someone has a better understanding of how the venting system works in regards to that vent hose.

Comment

I very much doubt the airbox is at fault here.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

normally the simplest answer is the correct one in that oil control is a problem with the valve stem seal, oil rings and/or honing, incorrect windage control etc. it would be very odd for the Karb box to create a low pressure region around the port on the OP's but not others. not impossible i would say (under certain conditions i.e. load or rpm combinations) but in the meantime i would block the vent to the airbox and just vent to atmosphere and monitor presence of oil in the chamber (as opposed to monitor in the airbox)
          Last edited by digger; 05-08-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I agree that this sounds more a problem with the engine and not the intake, but why would the same thing have happened to the original engine?

Comment

The airbox is NOT your failure. Many of us are actual subject matter experts and have been formally trained. We are not making uneducated points based on thin air. The airbox will not cause detonation or excessive blowby. This thread should've shifted away from the airbox at fault to figuring out what screwed up internally. This is classic case of bad piston rings or cylinders not getting a proper hash marking. It could be something else but this isn't an intake problem. There is literally no way the airbox caused this.

We want you to find the problem, not chase ghosts. If the engine was rebuilt again and doesn't have the issue, then it was probably a bad build or bad parts.
              This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Would love to find out what the cause of this is to see who's guess was correct.

Sorry to hear about this happening to op though sucks.
                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreamer00 View Post

Taken from the recent report:

22. 17/03/21 Checked airbox found oil in bottom of the box. Checked catch can for oil residue. Found 1” of volume on the dip stick.
                  Any oil collected in the air box should already be drained down to the oil pan via the hose from dipstick to the airbox bottom, whenever engine turned off. Regardless how the oil got in there, there should be no oil after engine turned off.

Comment

Does anyone actually have a hose that attaches from the bottom of the box and goes to the dipstick?

My drain line simply goes straight down to the oil pan and every S54 dipstick I have seen listed online does NOT have the connection for the drain line. Doesn't mean much, just an observation.
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                      Does anyone actually have a hose that attaches from the bottom of the box and goes to the dipstick?

My drain line simply goes straight down to the oil pan and every S54 dipstick I have seen listed online does NOT have the connection for the drain line. Doesn't mean much, just an observation.
                      My 2002 6mt is like what you described, tube directly into oil pan. But realOEM seems to indicate otherwise, and seems to show what looks like a check valve possibly? Into the dipstick tube

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cubieman brings up a valid point, etk is often wrong in its depictions for whatever reason. Same reason why cdv doesn't show up in there intentionally.

Looking at both m3 and csl dipstick tubes there is no other aperture for a line to fit in to.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Yeah mine goes straight into the pan too
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah mine goes straight into the pan too
                            His posts are sometimes confusing. They all have the drain straight to the oil pan, not the dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

His posts are sometimes confusing. They all have the drain straight to the oil pan, not the dipstick.
                              Simply a reference to a link (in this thread) from realoem with a clear image showing the drain line attaching to the dipstick vs. what I've seen in person and online.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210511-062034_Chrome.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	104233

2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                              Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                              Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                              RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                              Instagram

Comment

I was misled by RealOEM part diagram

Comment

Working...
                                X