Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like being in the power and and able to open up the evolve intake

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Do you stay in those lower gear just for better passing ability? I've got 4.10's as well and I'm in 5th for sure if I'm doing >55mph, but that's just for MPG reasons.

Comment

Depends on how long you let the car idle.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
        In my 2002 I get a dismal 13-15 city and 18-20 highway. The high end of that is driving very conservatively (no redlining, shifting at low RPM). Seems obvious that there's something wrong causing this dismal fuel economy, but I've been diligently looking for it for the last year and a half I've had absolutely no luck >:[
        I get 13-14 in LA traffic . Lately I have been getting 17 but that’s a lot of highway driving and zero traffic on account of some pandemic I’m not aware of.
        that’s also with lots of 8k pulls and zero consideration for mpg, cruising 70-80mph.
        both my S54’s have similar mpg.

what absolutely does kills mpg on these cars is sitting idle or traffic. You can drive as gingerly as you want but if it’s in traffic, it will be bad no matter what.
        Last edited by Icecream; 05-10-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

I get 13-14 in LA traffic . Lately I have been getting 17 but that’s a lot of highway driving and zero traffic on account of some pandemic I’m not aware of.
          that’s also with lots of 8k pulls and zero consideration for mpg, cruising 70-80mph.
          Yeah, LA traffic is (err was) the pits and I could see 13-14 being normal in that setting if your tank involves having to crawl down the 10 west or the 101. But within Pasadena there isn't really any traffic and even before the 'ol covid I never had a commute so LA traffic wasn't something I ever participated in (maybe once a week or two). Still stand by my mpg being abnormally bad

Comment

My virtually stock '01 (headers being the only mechanical upgrade) averages 21mpg on any given tankful as sure as death and taxes as my DD. I don't flog it constantly, but I do keep the carbon blown out of it. When I'm actually commuting to the office instead of WFH, I have about a 50 mile round trip, mostly interstate commute.

Comment

I drive mostly city and the trip computer is anywhere from 16-19 mpg. On freeway trips i can hit 25-26mpg driving around 85 mph average.

Comment

Got up to 28mpg highway. My car isn't stock so I figure it'd be better if it was. Mixed was around 21mpg in stop and go with some highway.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

I usually get 17 mpg with city driving and about 21 on highway cruises

Comment

I'm about 26 mpg highway, 18 city.

But all this discussion reminds of Jeremy Clarkson proving it's not what you drive, it's how you drive. Classic Top Gear: M3 (E9x) vs Prius:

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 06M3Cab View Post
                      I'm about 26 mpg highway, 18 city.

But all this discussion reminds of Jeremy Clarkson proving it's not what you drive, it's how you drive. Classic Top Gear: M3 (E9x) vs Prius:
                      I LOVED that clip.
                      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X