Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM3's Unicorn

The Story

Growing up, the E46 M3 was my dream car. I mean, when it came out it was competing (performance-wise) with Ferraris and Porsches! As an adult when I could finally afford one (early 2010's), I test drove a BEAUTIFUL 2006 with only 25k miles.
    The great news: The car was even better than I imagined. Mechanical feeling, a truly visceral experience when prompted, yet quiet and refined when chillin'.
    The devastating news: I didn't fit! It wasn't even close. Had to have a horrendously compromised driving position or do the ol' "head cock" so that my head/hair wouldn't contact the sunroof.

So I started researching the likelihood of finding one sans sunroof + manual seats. To my dismay, I found that BMW Canada never allowed customers to order them this spec 😢
    Nonetheless I would still occasionally check the local classifieds, wondering if I would perhaps shrink with age and/or go bald.
    Then one (wonderful) day in 2014, I saw a local kijiji ad for a 2003.5 with 54k miles. Alpine White. Cinnamon. Stock/unmodified. US car. WAIT A SEC, IS THERE NO GLASS ON THE ROOF?!
    I immediately arranged a viewing. It indeed was a slicktop; manual seats as well. Adjusted the seat to a proper driving position. My hair just barely grazed the headliner. I can make this work! The rest is history.

Since purchasing, I have followed the "e46 M3 maintenance/lockdown thread" (previously on M3Forum.net), done some minor mods/upgrades (listed below), and loved every minute of ownership! It's great only driving it in the summer as it's like getting a new car every spring 🤩

Mods/Upgrades

APEX ARC-8 (18x8.5" ET38 / 18x9.5" ET22)

CDV delete
    E60 "short" shift lever
    Bavarian Autosport clutch stop

RECARO Pole Position N.G.
    GROM-USB3
    Euro tray

TTFS custom remote tune

Updated BMW VANOS cam bolts
    Rogue Engineering CPV O-ring
    Updated BMW diff mount bolts
    Updated OEM Bosch ignition coils

Shut Up and Show Me Already!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	104526

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	104527

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	1266
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	104528

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	1264
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	104529

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	1258
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	104530

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	1626
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	104531

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	1291
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	104532

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	1288
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	104533

Looking good!
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Nice car!

The tall person plight is real. My favorite part of the carbon roof is finally being able to have a correct seating position 🙄

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Looks great. AW/cinnamon is an awesome combo.

And yeah, these cars are tighter than I expected them to be before driving one. I'm not really that tall (5'11") and I just baaarely fit in the car with a helmet on (seat as low as it will go and reclined further back than I like). Mine does have power seats and a sunroof though.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Love the color matched Recaro.

I can’t even imagine the pain for taller folks. I’m only 5’11” and with the stock seat I still need to have it lower down than I’d like to avoid the roof.
          2012 E92 M3 Competition - LeMans Blue / Speed Cloth - 6MT
          [SOLD] 2004 E46 M3 Coupe - Carbon Black / Black - 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Nice car!

The tall person plight is real. My favorite part of the carbon roof is finally being able to have a correct seating position 🙄
            Right?! The "head cock" or "gangsta lean" are equally stoopid ways of driving.
            What kind of seats do you have? They look tremendous 😍

Comment

Hopefully she's not seeing Canadian winters.

Love the color matched Recaro, I am biased however lol
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by OEM3 View Post

Right?! The "head cock" or "gangsta lean" are equally stoopid ways of driving.
                What kind of seats do you have? They look tremendous 😍
                Cobra Nogaros. I love them. Factory seat heater pads installed in them, too 🤣
                This is installed in my e46, but it really applies to all BMWs equally, so thought I'd post it here, as well. I am just going to start with pictures, because I know everyone is going to skip to that either way. Please read on, after, as there are a ton of very specific reason why I think this seat is THE best seat on the

With the seats (mounted on factory BMW e46 sliders) and the slicktop, I (6'4) can fit an entire fist between my head and the headliner. I love it!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

damn! that thing is legit!

Comment

Beautiful! What is the set up with your seat belt receptacle? I'm getting tired of mine digging into my hips when getting into the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02796.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	104564
                    06' Interlagos Blue ZCP 6MT // Instagram

Comment

Congrats OP, excellent spec and color combo!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        Hopefully she's not seeing Canadian winters.

Love the color matched Recaro, I am biased however lol
                        No WAYEEE, she hibernates. The UN officially declared driving nice M3's during the winter a hate crime. I wouldn't wanna piss off the UN 😉

Name:	Hibernation.JPG
Views:	1207
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	104571

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Cobra Nogaros. I love them. Factory seat heater pads installed in them, too 🤣
                          This is installed in my e46, but it really applies to all BMWs equally, so thought I'd post it here, as well. I am just going to start with pictures, because I know everyone is going to skip to that either way. Please read on, after, as there are a ton of very specific reason why I think this seat is THE best seat on the

With the seats (mounted on factory BMW e46 sliders) and the slicktop, I (6'4) can fit an entire fist between my head and the headliner. I love it!
                          Hot damn that's a clean install! Doesn't look like you had to make any compromises at all. I've definitely been mocked, "two grand for a seat and it's not even heated?!" 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Kiser.mt View Post
                            Beautiful! What is the set up with your seat belt receptacle? I'm getting tired of mine digging into my hips when getting into the car.

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC02796.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	104564
                            I use a seat belt extender as the receptacle. Bolted the tongue of it to the seat belt bracket.

Seat belt extender (Adjustable 9"-26"):
                            This seat belt extender is designed to be the most likely fit in your BMW M.

Seat belt bracket:

It works great, I just lift up the buckle as I get into the seat. No need for a pretensioner as there's no slack at all (the buckle sits right on my hip).
                            The only issue is then dealing with the electrical repercussions of not using the factory receptacle assembly. Which is nauseating to say the least.

Comment

That's one slick looking setup! Though personally I don't believe bolting the tongue down is ideal, but if it works, it works. I used an E36 rear seat buckle, which has a lug meant for M10 which fits perfectly. Bonus points for having the BMW logo on the buckle itself haha.

And yeah I'm not even a tall guy (5'6") and with the stock power seat at its lowest height, it was just too high. My complaint is not so much the headroom, but the ergonomics in general - with my new seat I feel like I actually get into the car, not onto it.
                              Last edited by timmo; 05-12-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X