Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Really bad!!!

Long story short, previous owner went to a local shop for an inspection/quote to fix the RACP and the shop quoted him 10000$ CAD to replace the RACP and offered to buy the car for 8000$ CAD instead!! His friend than contacted me and offered me the car cause he knew I was able to fix it myself and that I would do a complete restauration of the car.

Car is a 2001/02 HEA package so one of the first E46 M3 in Canada.

The car previously had Turner plates welded. Than, when spot weld start to pop, someone tought it would be a good idea to fix it with undercoating… So problem got worst and it look like this now:
    Damn that's bad. I would love to know what that felt like to drive, and if they didn't think it was a big deal or if they just were completely oblivious.
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Damn that's bad. I would love to know what that felt like to drive, and if they didn't think it was a big deal or if they just were completely oblivious.
      I would like to say it feel like business in the front, party in the rear but all struts/shocks were original from 2001 and were probably blown long long time ago!!! I drove the car 20km back home and let say it feel ‘’different’’ on a concrete highway!!! It also sound like an old Pirate ship!!!

I don’t know when exactly the spot welds began to pop but probably more than 5-8 years ago cause there seems to have a little bit of corrosion on overlapped panels due to water. I know previous owner parked the car for 2-3 years because he was aware of the RACP problem.

Anyway, for the price I paid, I can’t complain! Just going to fix it and it’s going to be a nice M3 to drive to work and during track days without feeling guilty and my Estoril will stay park in the garage like usual!!! haha
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

$1500 is honestly not that bad for a RACP nowadays. I paid $900 picked up back in 2016.
        2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
        2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
        2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
          $1500 is honestly not that bad for a RACP nowadays. I paid $900 picked up back in 2016.
          1500$ CAD not USD

You replaced it back than on your PY?
          2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
          2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
          2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

1500$ CAD not USD

You replaced it back than on your PY?
            Yes I did. my car had a rear X brace across the shock towers and the morons welded the bottom of the x brace directly into the RACP panel itself from inside the trunk.... instead of mounting it to the diff carrier. It ended up cracking the RACP pretty badly and separating the floor in many spots. The labor to fix it was just as much as to replace it so I can a brand new RACP and welded reddish plates on it then reinforced it with mason x brace and vince front cups. I think the whole thing came out to 7-8 grand.
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post

Yes I did. my car had a rear X brace across the shock towers and the morons welded the bottom of the x brace directly into the RACP panel itself from inside the trunk.... instead of mounting it to the diff carrier. It ended up cracking the RACP pretty badly and separating the floor in many spots. The labor to fix it was just as much as to replace it so I can a brand new RACP and welded reddish plates on it then reinforced it with mason x brace and vince front cups. I think the whole thing came out to 7-8 grand.
              Sorry, I'm trying to picture this. Your car had something like a GTR/Mason X Brace but it was just connected to the inside panel, not bolted all the way through to the subframe mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Amos View Post

Sorry, I'm trying to picture this. Your car had something like a GTR/Mason X Brace but it was just connected to the inside panel, not bolted all the way through to the subframe mounts?
                Yes exactly. As crazy as that sounds. it was a custom piece that the previous shop decided to weld onto the RACP. They clearly had no idea what they were doing.
                2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Wow, so close to getting it right but ended up completely obliterating the RACP. Crazy indeed.

Comment

Do you mind posting what shop did that so I can make sure to never go anywhere near there?
                    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
                      Do you mind posting what shop did that so I can make sure to never go anywhere near there?
                      They're not in Cali. Shop was called "Get nuts lab" in vegas area. Brace was installed sometime in 2015-2016 by the previous owner and neither him or me realized the f up.

62K Followers, 103 Following, 1,238 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Get Nuts Lab 🌴🌺 (@getnutslab)
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X