Slight problem after lowering car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight problem after lowering car

I’ve had a set of Ohlins R&T for 3 years sitting in my garage , this weekend I decided to go ahead and install them.

I read Obioban’s sticky and tried to set the height as close to that as possible. Need a but of adjustment, but I an close:

Front before

Drivers wheel 14-3/8”
    Passenger wheel 14-5/16”

Rear before (rear lower by 1-1/8” - fender measure)

Drivers wheel 14.25”
    Passenger wheel 14-3/16”

Front Lowered

Drivers wheel 13-3/8”
    Passenger wheel 13-3/8”

Rear Lowered (rear lower by 5/8” - fender measure)

Drivers wheel 12-3/4”
    Passenger wheel 12-3/4”

The problem I am having is that now my headlights are pointed down and will not shine far away. I am guessing the leveling units are looking for the 1”+ rake the car had originally. I need to raise the back a bit in order to get 1/2” rake and that will make it even worse.

Any idea how to cheat the unit? I cam remember how the front rear sensors are attached, but maybe space one of them out or something? I can’t stand the low beams being like that, any help to correct this is appreciated.

Thanks.

I reckon one of your leveling units has failed or is disconnected.

Comment

I did some more thinking and the rake shouldn't matter … it should auto adjust. I am confused.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
        I reckon one of your leveling units has failed or is disconnected.
        I am going to check today and see if I broke something down there

Comment

Originally posted by R1pilot View Post

I am going to check today and see if I broke something down there
          There is a little link that connects the level sensor and right control arm.
          If you don't disconnect that link when switching struts, it can break the sensor's plastic lever.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

There is a little link that connects the level sensor and right control arm.
            If you don't disconnect that link when switching struts, it can break the sensor's plastic lever.
            Yeah its very easy to forget to disconnect/reconnect it! Ask me how I know!

Comment

Can you manually adjust the lights vertically using these knobs? I did it a while back cant remember which knob is the side-to-side and which is the up-and-down adjust.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlight housing.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	106944

Comment

Moron me knocked the sensor off of the a arm. I broke the little metal clip, so I had to rig it with a zip tie until I buy the part.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Mine has been ziptied for years, still need to fix that.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Yeah mine has been ziptied for years as well and will probably stay that way for many more. Don't really feel like spending $70 on that bracket.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

it’s located on the front right control arm. Jack the car up and take off the wheel, replace it, and it’ll be good as new.

Comment

Moron me knocked the sensor off of the a arm. I broke the little metal clip, so I had to rig it with a zip tie until I buy the part.

Thanks guys.
                        Welcome to the club. Its a right of passage.

Comment

Hmmm, I noticed this ever since I installed my GC coils - my level sensors front and rear are fine as well. I may just have to level them manually to compensate, I found this thread with instructions on how to do so

Comment

All done. 13.5” front and 13” back. Tomorrow I put it on the scales and do the cross weights.

I have to say this car is a pita to adjust the coilovers on, on my S2000 I could do it without removing the wheels. The rear is impossible without taking everything apart.

Comment

All done. 13.5” front and 13” back. Tomorrow I put it on the scales and do the cross weights.

I have to say this car is a pita to adjust the coilovers on, on my S2000 I could do it without removing the wheels. The rear is impossible without taking everything apart.
                              The GC weight jacks are so worth it for the rear adjustment. Some NVH but our car is all track.

Comment

Working...
                              X