Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me want to get a V2 internals for my V1 diff LOL

Comment

I also think BMW switched to V2 to resolve the infamous M-Clunk complain from customers. I think some cars had the M-clunk even with low miles because the factory didn't have a way to set the preload after the LSD was assembled, as compared to V2.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        I also think BMW switched to V2 to resolve the infamous M-Clunk complain from customers. I think some cars had the M-clunk even with low miles because the factory didn't have a way to set the preload after the LSD was assembled, as compared to V2.
        Yeah i believe this now especially after all the great explanations above.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

If the viscolock units do lockup on decel then it does very little to add stability. I've found that the rear end feels extremely nervous under hard braking. Since I've switched to a ZF clutch LSD the rear end is far more stable under threshold and ABS braking.
          Interesting. We had the same issue under braking. Dialed up wing angle to mitigate and it helps a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My opinion Dont spend money for oem gkn diff...v1 or v2 is garbage...if its street car go with torsen and 0 issues...all the clutch diffs need clutches exept if they are new or very low miles

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by And1m3 View Post
              My opinion Dont spend money for oem gkn diff...v1 or v2 is garbage...if its street car go with torsen and 0 issues...all the clutch diffs need clutches exept if they are new or very low miles

No BMW products on their website.

Comment

Can a V1/V2 diff be differentiated by the round vs. "Scalloped" input shaft? I have V1 diff and the input shaft is round.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220926_093751.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	188027 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220926_093437.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	188028
                2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                Instagram

Comment

V1 has both round and scalloped neck.
                  The reliable way is v1 has more plays at RH output.

Comment

V1: the left output flange has 401 number (long splined shaft)
                    V2: the left output flange has 402 (short splined shaft)
                    The cat is out of the bag

Comment

Is that only visible after disassembly?
                      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        Is that only visible after disassembly?
                        after removing the CV joint on the output flange then the numbers are on the flange end.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Interesting. We had the same issue under braking. Dialed up wing angle to mitigate and it helps a ton.
                          Yes because it adds weight and grip on rear tires so the diff won't sense any wheel slippage.

Comment

Originally posted by And1m3 View Post
                            I would never install a torsen unless that was the only choice. If you have one wheel in the air or has zero traction then you get no or very little transfer of torque to the other wheel.

The M variable lock is actually a really good diff for street use. I would challenge the M lock is better than a ZF clutch unit for daily driving. If you have a V2 unit with the BMW SAF-XJ+ (has additional FM) then it should also be quiet.

Comment

V2 LSD disassemble: I watched Racing Diff doing this, and the guy used a hand drill to enlarge the bore (was swaged by the factory to lock the ball) to remove the steel ball which locks the ring to the carrier. The guy butchered up the thing and it's a mess. I would use a small stone bit from the Dremel kit to clean the bore lip enough to remove the ball with a magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I would never install a torsen unless that was the only choice. If you have one wheel in the air or has zero traction then you get no or very little transfer of torque to the other wheel.

The M variable lock is actually a really good diff for street use. I would challenge the M lock is better than a ZF clutch unit for daily driving. If you have a V2 unit with the BMW SAF-XJ+ (has additional FM) then it should also be quiet.
                                Thats not true...wavetrac even if you brake one axle you still drive home and some other brand....
                                The oem gkn is terrible...best solution fir road is zf from older models but still if you buy one you need clutches if you're lucky and is not fucked the plates...if you dont want problems torsen for road is the best choice

Comment

Working...
                                X