Dropped valve shim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped valve shim

Long story short forgot to plug the oil valley holes, and dropped a shim inside. It's not near the spring or the valve, went into the oil hole between cylinders 3 and 4. No luck with a magnet or boroscope. Really don't want to drop the Pan, is there anything the shim could mess up. Or is it safe to assume it's stuck in the pan and the pickup should keep it there worst case scenario

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to assume the dropped shim will stay on the pan bottom. But I would manually turn the crank 3 or 4 turns to make sure it not jam anything before fire up the engine. No fun when this happened isn't it? I always use paper town to surround the valve spring just in case like this.

Comment

Yeah I've turned it by hand a good 50times. I had the little filters covering the holes. The head came back from the machine shop and they took them out. I'm used to not covering it and completely forgot until I dropped one, that the screens aren't there anymore. I just did my rod bearings last year and don't want to have to drop the sump if it's not needed. I'm just not sure if there's any passages on the way down that it could be blocking.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can drain the oil, and try to boriscope the pan from the bottom, leveraging the drain hole, the level sensor hole, and a strong magnet. It is tricky due to the ribs/baffles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I dropped something down the head a while back and was able to retrieve it on the 2nd try with a flexible magnet from up top. Pull up a picture of the oil pan for a reference as to where the shim may be. Try the bendy magnet from up top, the telescoping types don't work too well, you may just feel a nice "clink".

If you dropped it down where the screens are supposed to be there is a "ledge" there in the pan that goes from front to back, if your lucky it is still on this ledge, I think you may be able to get to that area from underneath.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210604-171951_Chrome.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	109103
          Last edited by Cubieman; 06-04-2021, 02:21 PM.
          2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
          Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
          Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
          RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post
            I'm used to not covering it and completely forgot until I dropped one, that the screens aren't there anymore.
            Are you 100% sure it dropped through that screen hole? Just make sure it is not hiding in the head and jumps out to destroy the valve spring or something.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Are you 100% sure it dropped through that screen hole? Just make sure it is not hiding in the head and jumps out to destroy the valve spring or something.
              +1, there's a ton of nooks and crannies in the head. I've spent a good amount of time looking for a shim before finding it.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

+1 to above. Took me 90 minutes once to find a shim with a magnet.

Comment

Lol same here. I spent 30 to 45 minutes on 3 different days before I finally found the shim.
                  2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                  2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                  2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Looking for shim in the head is not fun, and so I always assume a shim will jump off the valve during the process: I used tissue papers to make a wall around the valve I was working on, then build the next great wall again for the next valve -- each wall only took a few seconds to build.

Comment

FYI, it doesn't help now, but new screens are $5 iirc and can be installed with the cams in place and the head on the block.
                      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Working...
                      X