Tyre size dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyre size dilemmas

I have had a set of brand new wheels sitting in my garage still in their boxes for closing in on 6 months now waiting for MPS4S's to become available. Wheels are 18x9.5 ET23 square, and I have had a set of 265/35/18 PS4's on order since I got the wheels basically and was told mid june ETA. We are now at mid June and tirerack has informed me that Michelin has pushed their production date back until further notice essentially and I could be looking at another 3 months at least. I'm getting to the point where the tyres on my spare set of wheels are cooked and I need to bite the bullet one way or another.

Since, 255/40/18* are in stock, wondering if anyone has run them square on a 9.5? Seems like it might be a little too small on the rear, while 275 square would probably be a little too large in the front (given the car is almost entirely street driven). 255/275 staggered worth considering?
    Last edited by Thoglan; 06-19-2021, 07:23 PM.

275's on a 9.5 width wheel will be slightly pinched. With an ET23 offset, it will fit and look fine in the rear, but it will poke heavily in the front (like an inch+) unless you're running a *lot* of camber. Stock offset in the front is something like Et42, IIRC, and 9.5 is way wider than the stock 8".

Definitely run the 255 in the front (I think it will still poke a smidge at that offset unless you're running more camber than stock, but I don't think it will be too bad). You can run 275 in the rear to really fill in the rear wheel well, but 255 will be fine and will give more a of a taught look on the wheel, though it will leave a bit more fender gap.

Is the car lowered at all? Camber mods?

Comment

JustAWhisper yes sorry should have specified. Car is on Ohlins r&t and GC street camber plates. I'm aware of the camber requirements. Not a daily driver so having an ass load of camber is somewhat acceptable. Ideally I wouldn't want too much over 3 degrees though.

Running staggered tyres is an option but kind of defeats the purpose of having a square set of wheels.

Comment

[QUOTE=Thoglan;n110864
        Since, 255/35/18 are in stock[/QUOTE]

Correct size would 255/40-18.

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Correct size would 255/40-18.
          Agreed. PS4S in stock at TireRack.

If you're determined on the 265/35, try a different tire? A different vendor?
          2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post

Agreed. PS4S in stock at TireRack.

If you're determined on the 265/35, try a different tire? A different vendor?
            This is also an option. Really had my heart set of ps4s's though. Leaning towards just going 255 square, even though it's a little bit of an uncommon size on here. Given it's predominant street use, having a slightly smaller tyre on the front will probably be a positive.

Comment

I'm not sure what the max camber you can get from GC Street's (probably 3ish?), but you'll probably need all of it to get 275's to fit up front, and it still may rub a bit since you're lowered. And that's a lot of camber for a street car.

elbert mentioned 255/40R18, which is a good suggestion as it will fill out the wheel wells better (it's the stock tire size in the rear), and it will fit easier up front.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAWhisper View Post
                I'm not sure what the max camber you can get from GC Street's (probably 3ish?), but you'll probably need all of it to get 275's to fit up front, and it still may rub a bit since you're lowered. And that's a lot of camber for a street car.

elbert mentioned 255/40R18, which is a good suggestion as it will fill out the wheel wells better (it's the stock tire size in the rear), and it will fit easier up front.
                GC street plates are supposed to give an additional 2 degrees or so of adjustment, so should be able to get to about -3.5 depending on height. I have decided on 255/40 square for a (marginally) more modest look on the front, and hopefully a small spacer in the rear will get things looking alright.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post

GC street plates are supposed to give an additional 2 degrees or so of adjustment, so should be able to get to about -3.5 depending on height. I have decided on 255/40 square for a (marginally) more modest look on the front, and hopefully a small spacer in the rear will get things looking alright.

Thanks for the help.
                  Koni and eibach springs with GC street plates and I’m maxed st -3.2. Maybe the Ohlins will get you more?

Comment

I would stick with 265’s. The advan V601’s are available in 3 weeks. I ran those tires last. They were pretty sticky and rode nicely. For the money a great tire. I would do those over changing sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickM3 View Post
                      I would stick with 265’s. The advan V601’s are available in 3 weeks. I ran those tires last. They were pretty sticky and rode nicely. For the money a great tire. I would do those over changing sizes.
                      Too late, already ordered my PS4S's ​​​​​​, going with a different tyre isn't really an option tbh. Really like the way pilot sports feel and am always disappointed with other tyres when I try them.

255/40 is a pretty good compromise imo. 265 is probably too wide on the front for street use anyway and it is the stock tyre size on the rear so should be fine there. It's hardly going to be under tyre'd. Worst case, I'll just buy a set of 265s when they're in stock if I'm not happy.

Comment

Had this same problem... ended up ordering a set of Continental ExtremeContactSports because I wasn't about to wait who-knows-how-long - that was 4 months ago and I'd still be waiting!

I know I know.. but Michelin PS4S are sold out and back-ordered everywhere and I can't get a set. I need a set of tires, 265/35R18s square, I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. But there are a bunch of other options... Yokohama Advan Apex V601 Firehawk Indy 500 Pirelli P Zero And probably a bunch more
                        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                        Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

"For the money" is one of my favorite expressions.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                          X