Tire options that aren't PS4S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire options that aren't PS4S

I know I know.. but Michelin PS4S are sold out and back-ordered everywhere and I can't get a set. I need a set of tires, 265/35R18s square, I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. But there are a bunch of other options...

Yokohama Advan Apex V601
    Firehawk Indy 500
    Pirelli P Zero

And probably a bunch more I'm missing...

Thoughts?
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

I'd wait.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

wife has the continentals on her 330 and they've been great. No complaints other than a shorter lifespan but that's expected on a performance tire.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
        I know I know.. but Michelin PS4S are sold out and back-ordered everywhere and I can't get a set. I need a set of tires, 265/35R18s square, I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact Sport. But there are a bunch of other options...

Yokohama Advan Apex V601
        Firehawk Indy 500
        Pirelli P Zero

And probably a bunch more I'm missing...

Thoughts?
        I've got the Conti ECS on my E91 daily driver. Good tires. I've heard they don't hold up as well as PS4S on the track, but if you're just "sport" driving I think they would be great.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

I've got the Conti ECS on my E91 daily driver. Good tires. I've heard they don't hold up as well as PS4S on the track, but if you're just "sport" driving I think they would be great.
          I can attest to that. My first time at the track and blistered my ECS... 2 decent tires down the cords by the outside sidewall, a combination of overdriving + stock front camber. Meanwhile my friend (who qualitatively overdrove even more) tortured the hell out of his PS4S and those were still okay. But if you're going to the track a lot you won't be buying either of these tires anyways

Comment

General GMax RS. Comparable to Firehawk Indy 500 but quieter and more comfortable. Extremely good grip, braking, and road manners.

General G Max RS are Continentals, btw.
            Last edited by EthanolTurbo; 02-03-2021, 06:44 PM.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

100% General Gmax if you can't get or afford (not you Liam) PS4S. Or get a TW 200 tire from federal, nitto, hankook if you're in hot climate, want traction, don't care about noise/comfort/longevity.

Conti's are nice, but at a premium. if you going to pay a premium, get Michelin.
              Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-03-2021, 12:55 PM.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I have been happy with Bridgestone S007A

Comment

Hankook RS4's.
                  2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                  2005 BMW ///M3
                  ​ Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build ​​
                  2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                  2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                  2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Although the difference between PS4S and the Contis is substantial. The difference between the Contis and the rest is about the same IMO. Get the Contis if you cant wait for PS4S to restock.
                    2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      100% General Gmax if you can't get or afford (not you Liam) PS4S. Or get a TW 200 tire from federal, nitto, hankook if you're in hot climate, want traction, don't care about noise/comfort/longevity.

Conti's are nice, but at a premium. if you going to pay a premium, get Michelin.
                      The Conti's are a premium, but they're $200 less for a set - $800 vs $1000 for the PS4Ss. But to your point, if you're paying a premium just get the benchmark. If the Contie's are 80% of the tire (and I think they are) it's not a bad deal. I thought about going down the 200TW route, except the whole noise/comfort/longevity is meh, and I live in Oregon and drive in wet weather constantly, perhaps those aren't the best idea for a car that is primarily driven on the street. There are a lot of tires in that category that gives outstanding traction but throws caution to the wind in terms of tire life, comfort, and especially noise. Have you ever driven on a set of Federal 595RRs?? It's like being in a Jeep! Hard pass...

So if we take the tirerack review score, using the PS4S as a benchmark, we can get a price/performance score vs the PS4S.

Yokohama Apex, $740, 85% of the PS4S score, 72% of the price
                      Conti ECS, $807, 89% of the PS4S score, 78% of the price
                      PZero (PZ4), $807, 88% of the PS4S score, 78% of the price

The General G-MAX RS are in a different category, so it's apples to oranges but they're 64% of the price and highly rated. I still think I'm going to stick with the Max Performance tire segment though.

There is also the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Positions, but they're getting on in age and still fairly pricey. My red e93m3 had a set of them and they were fine, loud though, and not the best road manners, now I have PS4S on that car and its a huge step forward.

There are a few other tires in the "Max Performance" category, but they all have a much less TW rating, so while they're a bit cheaper up-front it's almost a wash because you'll get half the miles.

You can see why the PS4S is the benchmark... Still, I'm tempted by the Yokohama & Conti ECS because they're still a great tire at a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                        I have been happy with Bridgestone S007A
                        Don't make them in a 265/35/R18

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                        Hankook RS4's.
                        That was my GO-TO tire when I had an s2000. They were great until they weren't. I also only got about 7000 miles on the rears and maybe 20k on the front...I'm older now so perhaps I'd get a few more miles out of a set haha! The Hankook site shows they make them in that size, but tirerack/discounttire don't sell them in that size. I'm not sure if they were discontinued in that size or what.

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post
                          I know I know.. but Michelin PS4S are sold out and back-ordered everywhere
                          Thoughts?
                          Tire rack has them "in stock" for the 19in. Unless theyre not correctly updated

Edit: Oops sorry you need the 18inch I need to reads more better derp
                          Last edited by yhp2009; 02-03-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Another vote for wait. SummitRacing says estimated ship date Feb 18th.

'05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Whether things have changed or not I have no idea, but I put a set of Hankook V12's on years ago and they sucked SO BAD, I couldn't get them off fast enough. They left such a bad taste in my mouth I'll never try Hankook again, but wouldn't anyway, learned my lesson, Michelin or bust.

Comment

Working...
                              X