Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Pre-2008 e46 m3s?
    No. One was an 01 996 turbo. Other was an 06 Evo 9.
    2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
    1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
    IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
      I have a buddy with a smog shop in Walnut Creek but I'm not even going to drop the name because he won't do shit to help you pass.

These guys are not risking their livelihood to slide you through smog for an extra 100 bucks.

Trust me.

This is why mine is registered in Montana.
      Buddy of mine also has a smog shop and he told me the fine associated with trying to flag you, it's insane. Definitely not work losing their license and shop for that extra $100 like you mentioned..

Comment

Originally posted by marksae View Post

No. One was an 01 996 turbo. Other was an 06 Evo 9.
        Oh ok, so tbone is still correct with respect to our cars.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

FWIW, I do actually have post cat O2s installed in my euro cats, they're just not connected because the wires won't reach. So it seems like in the worst case scenario, all I have to do is slice things up and extend the wiring, which isn't the end of the world but is kinda annoying.

Still fingers crossed that someone out there can tell me if coding out my post-cat O2s can allow me to pass smog!

Comment

Oh ok, so tbone is still correct with respect to our cars.
            See post last week #135

I am soooo glad I did not sell my Dinan flashed ECU and intake that are CARB legal. I have a separate HP CSL ECU that went along with my headers and Evolve CSL airbox so swapping the headers and airbox back to stock and getting smogged was the route to go. ECU's have to be submitted so they can turn a blind eye, but if the ECU values don't check, they you fail.

Before I reverted back to stock, I went to this place out in Rialto, saw a bunch of other questionable cars pass, I'm sitting there thinking "I've gotta pass this with flying colors". Lo and behold, 3+ hrs later, the guy calls me into his office and says, "We've got 2 lines of error codes in your ECU data and we need clean values on those 2 lines before we can submit to the DMV, we can gamble and submit now, but it's 50/50 chance you can get flagged. I'll give you a call in a couple of days and we'll get you squared away".

3 weeks pass, and guy either made up some bs or never picked up his call. I didn't want to continue to waste my time heading out to Rialto to pester this guy and if he says it's not done, nothing I could do about it. So gave up on that and reverted to stock.

The law that passed this year isn't the same as it was a couple of years ago, more at stake at a shop than just a visual and a √ “
            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by old///MFanatic View Post
              See post last week #135

I am soooo glad I did not sell my Dinan flashed ECU and intake that are CARB legal. I have a separate HP CSL ECU that went along with my headers and Evolve CSL airbox so swapping the headers and airbox back to stock and getting smogged was the route to go. ECU's have to be submitted so they can turn a blind eye, but if the ECU values don't check, they you fail.

Before I reverted back to stock, I went to this place out in Rialto, saw a bunch of other questionable cars pass, I'm sitting there thinking "I've gotta pass this with flying colors". Lo and behold, 3+ hrs later, the guy calls me into his office and says, "We've got 2 lines of error codes in your ECU data and we need clean values on those 2 lines before we can submit to the DMV, we can gamble and submit now, but it's 50/50 chance you can get flagged. I'll give you a call in a couple of days and we'll get you squared away".

3 weeks pass, and guy either made up some bs or never picked up his call. I didn't want to continue to waste my time heading out to Rialto to pester this guy and if he says it's not done, nothing I could do about it. So gave up on that and reverted to stock.

The law that passed this year isn't the same as it was a couple of years ago, more at stake at a shop than just a visual and a √ “
              See post 91

"I was able to pass my M3 with a non-stock tune. I have the Euro headers and cats and the Evolve tune installed, and I surprisingly had no issues. Honestly, I did not expect to pass but I had to get the test because my registration was expiring the following week. Not sure why I wasn't flagged."
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
                FWIW, I do actually have post cat O2s installed in my euro cats, they're just not connected because the wires won't reach. So it seems like in the worst case scenario, all I have to do is slice things up and extend the wiring, which isn't the end of the world but is kinda annoying.

Still fingers crossed that someone out there can tell me if coding out my post-cat O2s can allow me to pass smog!
                At a minimum I would extend the wires so it looks legit. O2s without wires connected (if inspected) would Fail the Visual Equipment part of test.
                Honestly I haven’t talked to my test guy about our E46 ECUs, so don’t know for certain. But from reading other information CARB is most interested in code dealing with deactivation of smog equipment and check lights.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

At a minimum I would extend the wires so it looks legit. O2s without wires connected (if inspected) would Fail the Visual Equipment part of test.
                  Honestly I haven’t talked to my test guy about our E46 ECUs, so don’t know for certain. But from reading other information CARB is most interested in code dealing with deactivation of smog equipment and check lights.
                  The unplugged ends of the wires aren't visible, and the guy I've been going to for years doesn't get under the car or anything. The unplugged end of the harness is underneath the engine's vanity cover, which he also can't see. So I do feel quite confident that I'd pass visual with no issues.

If I extend them, which I just might at this point, I might as well just plug them in and run them legit

Comment

See post 91
                    "I was able to pass my M3 with a non-stock tune. I have the Euro headers and cats and the Evolve tune installed, and I surprisingly had no issues. Honestly, I did not expect to pass but I had to get the test because my registration was expiring the following week. Not sure why I wasn't flagged."
                    True.
                    My concern is that was like 90 days after the initial implementation of new ECU test. Which smog stations said they were having issues getting in order. Now 10 months later from that data point (over year after test changed) we get this latest data point showing a failed test due to ECU coding.
                    I think it’s more correct to go off the last data point as current state of affairs.

Comment

CA has made it a complete headache to have a modified car. It’s best to just go back to stock. Whatever you can get away with now may end up being illegal down the line so might as well get your hands on stock parts while you still can. CARB EO numbers mean nothing to me since it’s only a matter of time before ICE cars are banned to begin with. I went back to stock headers and section 1 and stock intake when I moved back to Cali from Detroit. I just need to get rid of my tune and be headache free. I can’t have these kinda toys on my car but the good thing is I can shit on the corner of the street in front of little kids whenever I want and throw my hepatitis infected needles on top of it before it cooks in the sun or washes down the sewer.
                      2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
                      2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
                      2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

True.
                        My concern is that was like 90 days after the initial implementation of new ECU test. Which smog stations said they were having issues getting in order. Now 10 months later from that data point (over year after test changed) we get this latest data point showing a failed test due to ECU coding.
                        I think it’s more correct to go off the last data point as current state of affairs.
                        I've seen several (and personally know a few) people pass CA smog with modified bins on E46. The one you referenced is the only instance I've heard about where there was an issue. I wouldn't completely assume it means that the smog system has the data to confirm if the tune is truly stock or not. I'd, at least at this point, assume that there was something else about the tune (especially being Dinan) that got flagged. Perhaps encryption? I don't know. I'd like to see more cases.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

True it’s the latest data point but perhaps there’s some leeway on shops reporting or noticing. We don’t have anything more recent posted where we are at.

But it also appears true they are in fact looking at code. Unless the poster was lying, which see no reason for it. Seems like he was giving a heads up warning.

Comment

I have a good relationship with my smog guy in the SF valley but haven't had any heavily modded or tuned cars to bring in. If there is someone out there who can help us out, their name isn't going to be dropped in a public forum so you'll have to track em down behind closed doors. When I get around to my ST setup, I'm gonna reach out to someone in the FI crowd and maybe take em out to lunch to get that info.. lotta narcs out here
                            E46 M3 | C7 RS7

Comment

Sigh... I've extended the wiring on my post-cat O2 sensors, and it looks like one of them is dead (reads constant voltage of 0.13 V where as the other one is oscillating).

Is it possible for me to pass CA smog with one dead postcat O2 sensor if everything else is fine? I remember reading somewhere that you didn't need all monitors to be ready, only a certain number of them. Anyone know?
                              Last edited by ATB88; 08-09-2022, 09:07 AM.

Comment

The only readiness monitor you're allowed to have not ready is the EVAP one.

A summary of pass/fail standards for the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) test portion of a Smog Check inspection and instructions for inspecting vehicles with known OBD test difficulties.
                                2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                                1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                                IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Working...
                                X