CA/LA Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post
    Find a stock ECU or at least flash to stock and you should be able to pass if you can find a sketchy place that'll do the deeds for you still.
    Where is a good place to find another ECU and have my stock ECU spec "copied" and those parameters written to it?

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

Where is a good place to find another ECU and have my stock ECU spec "copied" and those parameters written to it?
      Probably if not someone here. eBay. I got HTE to EWS delete my ECU so it would start again after the intake swap.

Comment

I just want to double check before I go and try to smog my car:

I've reverted airbox and DME back to stock. I still have euro headers and cats installed, though, and the secondary O2s and EGT are all unplugged. I used Martyn's tool to modify my binary to suppress all SAP, secondary O2 and EGT codes.

With the modifications made via Martyn's tool, the associated readiness monitors will be good to go, is that correct? Or do I actually need to wire all of these things back in to pass?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
          I just want to double check before I go and try to smog my car:

I've reverted airbox and DME back to stock. I still have euro headers and cats installed, though, and the secondary O2s and EGT are all unplugged. I used Martyn's tool to modify my binary to suppress all SAP, secondary O2 and EGT codes.

With the modifications made via Martyn's tool, the associated readiness monitors will be good to go, is that correct? Or do I actually need to wire all of these things back in to pass?
          I don't know how the state does ECU readings anymore, but for the life of me, I couldn't chance it and end up getting state referee involved. I hope that doesn't happen in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by ra2fanatic View Post

I don't know how the state does ECU readings anymore, but for the life of me, I couldn't chance it and end up getting state referee involved. I hope that doesn't happen in your case.
            Yeah this is why I'm asking. My bluetooth dongle that I used for Torque crapped out so I can't use Torque to see if my monitors are good or not. I can't see any way to check them with INPA or the Schwaben tool -- if anyone knows a way would be grateful to hear it!

Comment

I got a Foxwell NT510 to see readiness before I went and got smogged....it's an expensive proposition to be modding on an old platform in CA. It's a shitty feeling.

Comment

If anyone has a shop recommendation in the bay area please DM me. I have fabspeed headers on my e46 and am debating of going back to OEM or trying to get it smogged at a reputable shop.
                Thanks

Comment

I have a buddy with a smog shop in Walnut Creek but I'm not even going to drop the name because he won't do shit to help you pass.

These guys are not risking their livelihood to slide you through smog for an extra 100 bucks.

Trust me.

This is why mine is registered in Montana.
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Again, I'm just trying to figure out if doing O2 delete and SAP delete with Martyn's MSS54 Tool will set my monitors to ready. Quite confident I'll pass visual if the DME stuff looks right. Any concrete knowledge here would be appreciated

Comment

I was never able to get my monitors to set to ready, but I didn't use any software.

I was told by my shop they could physically alter my DME to show ready, but then it wouldn't be a "stock" ecu anymore, and the machine would likely fail me.

Please update the thread if you figure it out. CA has made smog an absolute nightmare for modified vehicles compared to the good ol' days.
                      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                        I was told by my shop they could physically alter my DME to show ready, but then it wouldn't be a "stock" ecu anymore, and the machine would likely fail me.
                        That doesn't seem to be the case with our cars, but the 2008+.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The new smog tests are able to detect flashed ECU's, so they have a way to detect if one has been altered from their original state. I would think it could detect the changes you've made, even if it shows all the monitors being ready. If you get flagged by the system when you test, you'll probably get sent to the state ref. If you get sent there, you'll really need to revert everything back to stock.

For reference, I was able to pass smog with euro headers and cats and stock intake. My ECU was stock. To the untrained eye, everything looked OEM. I doubt most smog shops would know or even care to know the difference between the stock vs euro cat configuration.
                          2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                          1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                          IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Originally posted by marksae View Post
                            The new smog tests are able to detect flashed ECU's, so they have a way to detect if one has been altered from their original state. I would think it could detect the changes you've made, even if it shows all the monitors being ready. If you get flagged by the system when you test, you'll probably get sent to the state ref. If you get sent there, you'll really need to revert everything back to stock.

For reference, I was able to pass smog with euro headers and cats and stock intake. My ECU was stock. To the untrained eye, everything looked OEM. I doubt most smog shops would know or even care to know the difference between the stock vs euro cat configuration.
                            See tbones post above yours.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

See tbones post above yours.
                              hmmm.. I know several people with pre 2008 cars that got flagged by the system and got sent to the ref since they had flashed ECU's.
                              2004 Alpine White / Cinnamon E46 M3 6MT
                              1993 Brilliant Black FD Rx7
                              IG: @gearheadtwins

Comment

Originally posted by marksae View Post

hmmm.. I know several people with pre 2008 cars that got flagged by the system and got sent to the ref since they had flashed ECU's.
                                Pre-2008 e46 m3s?
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X