No announcement yet.

CA/LA Smog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so my m3 is bone stock other than the throttle map being changed to be linear and enabling shift lights and minor stuff like that, im up for smog this year, should i be worried about passing?

I just got my 330cic smogged and I noticed the test was a bit different. at one point the guy had to get in and rev it to 1500 rpm and keep it there for a little bit. I hadnt seen that before.

Dreading smog on the m3
    Last edited by sev; 03-23-2023, 11:52 AM.

Comment

No.

The 1500rpm and 2500rpm test is for 1999 and older cars that get the sniffer, as far as I'm aware.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        No.

The 1500rpm and 2500rpm test is for 1999 and older cars that get the sniffer, as far as I'm aware.
        they performed that on my 2002 330cic

Comment

Shouldn't have afaik, but I'm not a smog tech. Supposed to be OBD2/visual only. My cars (2004/2002/2013) arent even running for the "test", just position 2.

Comment

The revving is probably for them to look for actual smoke coming out of the tailpipe. The tech that revved it actually is looking back to the car for smoke. I've seen them done it to my 2004 X5 the few times that I had smoged it (at different shops) , but I don't remember the tech revved it with my 2008 Z4MC. So, not sure what makes them do it on one car but not the other.

Comment

so what is the consensus? E46 M3 with tune can pass but not newer cars? My 05 is due for a smog and I got a tune but the rest of the setup is stock
              2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
              2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
              2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

If your cat monitors are ready or have at least 8 monitors ready, it should pass. Not sure if a tune resets any of the monitors. If its only the cats in not ready state, do drive cycle and it should pass.

Comment

Any flashing or error code delete or adaptation reset or undoing the battery will reset smog monitors, and require new drive cycles except for the flash of a tune specifcially made to force monitors into ready state.

Comment

all my monitors are ready and no O2 sensor is disabled. I think my tune only enables sport mode and the flashing rev limiter lights as far as I know. will it get tagged as a tuned ECU and fail smog?
                    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

No

Comment

Smog coming up this July. I have Supersprint V1 Stepped headers + HJS section 1. No tune and everything else is stock. Would I be able to pass smog? All smogs I've done in the past I have been fully stock.
                        Instagram: @s54.m3

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
                          Smog coming up this July. I have Supersprint V1 Stepped headers + HJS section 1. No tune and everything else is stock. Would I be able to pass smog? All smogs I've done in the past I have been fully stock.
                          Depends on the smog technician. Likely will pass if it's not all shiny.

Comment

i know this is a a dead topic but just another data point.

Just passed smog in my stock m3, with the throttle remapped. No issues.

Comment

I passed with a tune and stock intake/exhaust too. Got my renewal sticker as well.

2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                                I passed with a tune and stock intake/exhaust too. Got my renewal sticker as well.
                                What kind of tune was it? I've got an evolve can tune and have no idea what they look for during smog..

Comment

Working...
                                X