• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine narcing on your smog guy by posting their names publicly
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

QQ - might be stupid, but if I am doing an SMG to manual swap, I think there is a coding element there too...will that cause SMOG issues in CA?

Comment

Originally posted by frenzy757 View Post
        QQ - might be stupid, but if I am doing an SMG to manual swap, I think there is a coding element there too...will that cause SMOG issues in CA?
        Not if you're running a factory manual tune. You can flash the DME with WinKFP to get full factory software.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Are we getting reports of E46s failing CA Smog from all aftermarket tunes at this point?

Or was the assumed criteria to fail because of tunes changing overall “checksums” premature?
          6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I have a dumb question: if CA owners have traditionally run cat-less headers on E46 M3s and eliminated CELs with a tune to pass, wouldn't the new requirement to flashback to "full factory software" effectively eliminate the ability to pass smog without OE catted headers? Or else you'd have a CEL every time I'd think.
            2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
            ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
              I have a dumb question: if CA owners have traditionally run cat-less headers on E46 M3s and eliminated CELs with a tune to pass, wouldn't the new requirement to flashback to "full factory software" effectively eliminate the ability to pass smog without OE catted headers? Or else you'd have a CEL every time I'd think.
              If I’m understanding your question correctly. Cat-less headers are illegal. (It’s technically illegal in all the USA to change stock government smog equipment from original configuration). States vary on what they mandate.
              So the tune isn’t the biggest glaring issue there, the moved cats would fail in CA.
              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Originally posted by ridebikes View Post
                No because you can put the post o2 sensors in section 1 with cats and it shouldn't cause any CEL. The only issue would be with visual.
                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

No because you can put the post o2 sensors in section 1 with cats and it shouldn't cause any CEL. The only issue would be with visual.
                  Got it! Thank you, that makes sense.

But if that's the case, and you can "always go back to stock" without a CEL, why so much worry about this new CA law?

If passing is always a laptop reflash away, doesn't "the visual" become the bigger concern if you're running catless headers?

That said, I've read there is a limit to the number of times the ECU can be flashed, so that's definitely a drawback.

Great info in this post so far!
                  2005 6MT TiAg | 1:47.01 @ Laguna Seca
                  ..........................| 1:58.93 @ Sonoma

Comment

Have anyone in CA passed smog with a non OEM tune since they enforced the ECU law?

Comment

If I was you, ask someone who has heavy modified car with no cat. They will tell you.
                      2003 BMW M3 6MT - Oxford Green with Cinnamon leather. Supersprint | Apex wheels | BC Coilovers | Status Racing seat | HTE Performance Tuning | Megan headers | SMG to 6MT swap | Reinforcement plates | AKG Short Shifter | Wisefab Angle Kit | DriftHQ Rear Diff Brace | Clutchmaster FX400 |

Comment

Originally posted by NaM3 View Post
                        Have anyone in CA passed smog with a non OEM tune since they enforced the ECU law?
                        This is the million dollar question.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Think I'll fail with a TTFS CSL SMG flash? That's all I have. Did it years ago and never had any problem with smog, so ridiculous to get punished for it now.

Comment

Somewhat a moot point but I was able to pass smog after swapping my OE ECU and stock intake back on. I still have OE Euro headers and cats on my car.

Took some effort to get my catalyst monitor to go "ready" (damn hard to keep it under 60mph and 3k rpm in this thing lol).

With that out of the way, need to make some time to throw the Karbonius intake back on
                            "your BMW has how many miles!?"

2003 (2/03) M3 coupe Imolarot/Black 6 M/T - JRZ RS One 450/550 - Ground Control Street - SDW RTAB - TMS Street ARCA - Redish V2 - TMS solid subframe bushings - Volk Racing G2 18x9.5 - StopTech ST40 355 (coming soon) - Beisan Systems VANOS parts - WPC OE rod bearings - Karbonius CSL airbox - Kassel MSS54HP DME - Kassel MAP sensor - Euro headers and Section 1 - SuperSprint Sport - Recaro Speed - Schroth Rallye 4 QF - AS 30% SSK

build/journal
                            ig: @zzyzx85

Comment

So that's a stock tune? We're looking for feedback from people with a tune, passing the OBD2 test.
                              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                                So that's a stock tune? We're looking for feedback from people with a tune, passing the OBD2 test.
                                This

Comment

Working...
                                X